TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Sep-2012, 2:07 PM   #1
Shvingy

Kitchener Ontario CN Tower Signal Assistance

I have a roof mounted DB8 with CM 7778, unobstructed view, about 80 feet of cable, grounded and run through noise filter system. I use an Nfusion HD, for my tuner (There is no other model number on it, the manual or the box other than Nfusion HD). My LCD TV does not have a built in tuner. The antenna is aimed dead straight at 74 degrees.

Still I have troubles obtaining and stabilizing the signal from 74 degrees. Namely CBC (CBLT-DT). Ok here is where it gets messed up, I receive from 74 degrees, ciii-dt (41.1),cblft (which I think is in analogue), city-dt (57.1), cfmt-dt(47.1) but not cfto-dt (9.1), cica-dt(19.1) and cblt-dt (5.1). I am happy with the rest of my system but CBC is kinda the one I need the most. I have also tried the Kross 4 bay whisker antenna. The DB8 holds signals much better.

What angle should my antenna sit up vertically, will this make a difference or is 90 degrees ok?

I was thinking of trying a CM 4228 HD antenna. Will that be any better?

Update: I put up a Kross GY-TVA 003 4 bay whisker antenna up and this offered an improvement on all counts.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df9ed9116f1bf

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Shvingy; 29-Sep-2012 at 9:58 PM.
Shvingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2012, 5:20 PM   #2
teleview

Does the Nfusion also have a FTA satellite receiver. What model number is the Nfusion box??

Before getting into replacing the antenna , turn the antenna to the left and right to find a aim direction that has the best reception.

You can try tilting the antenna up about 5 degree or so , loosen the clamps and put a wood block behind the antenna and the mounting pole then tighten the clamps enough to hold the antenna in place.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Sep-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 29-Sep-2012, 6:01 PM   #3
Shvingy

It is an Nfusion HD. I bought it just for the ATSC tuner. My antenna has brackets to tilt it, so I will try it I thought someone might have a more definitive answer, rather than me guessing. I have tried the left and right, and the multi directional thing (which lowered signal strength).

Thanks for the reply.
Shvingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2012, 6:17 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

The DB-8 and CM4228 are not so different that I would expect any improvement.

If you can't mount any higher and you've gone through all the iterations of aim adjustment (including changes in elevation and location), then two antennas to consider are the Antennas Direct 91XG and Winegard HD9095P. The two products compete for 'highest gain' in the consumer grade UHF antenna market.

Your other options include: consider a tower, commercial grade antennas or custom built.

Looking at the path profile of CBLT-DT, it looks as if a little more height may pay big dividends. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...LLTV2%26n%3d16

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Sep-2012 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Added path profile link
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2012, 9:10 PM   #5
teleview

The definitive answer is adjust antenna for best reception.

Here are antenna comparisons , http://www.antennahacks.com/AntennaComparison.htm.

The CM4228HD does have about 2 to 5 dB better gain then the DB8 at bottom end of the UHF channels 14 thru 51 , channels 14 to about 30.

The CBC is UHF channel 20.

This can help with reception and can push the signal up over the edge to get reliable reception.

However do not expect super fantastic results.

In hilly terrain , sometimes lowering the antenna height can improve signal strength.

At tvfool the antenna height can be adjusted up and down to see what happens with signal strength , from 1 foot to 500 foot antenna height , lower and raise the antenna heights , get the NM (dB) number to increase by 5 or more.

A model number of the Nfusion would help in the research.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Sep-2012 at 12:30 AM.