TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Aug-2011, 4:17 AM   #1
DBLOCK

Help for 98282

Hi - Just starting to wrestle with a new/unused philips 2008 model UHF/VHF antenna (I'll get the model later) on top of my 2 story house, on a 5ft mast (so far). The setup seemed to meet what I thought I needed and was free from a guy at work who switched to satellite rather than wrestle with installing this behemoth...

I live behind a bunch of trees on a bluff near the south end of Camano Island. there's maybe a 100yd clearing directly to the south, where I think the antenna's pointed - just guess and by golly at this point since I don't have a compass handy.

Have an older projection LCD TV. Just purchased a Radio Shack digital converter box. I'm trying to tie the coax from the antenna into the distribution box where cable was originally routed (think this is my first mistake).

Running a 50ft Rg6 from a balun adapter at ground level to the cable dist box brought in 4 channels around channel 20. I added a preamp (I'll get make and model later), matching high gain amp, and put the antenna on the roof and now nothing at all. I don't show any signal strength in any direction.

Here's the TVfool data:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e741ccafa0086

First - how can I test the preamp and amp to see if they're OK... Next, can I put any splitters at all between the preamp and amp? If so, what kind specifically?

Thanks!
DBLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2011, 4:28 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

FIRST we need to get you untangled. Answer our questions and do what we say , do not go running off on your own and get your self all tangled up. How many Tv's will be connected?? The best you can find out , what is the make and model numbers of the antenna and amp??

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Aug-2011 at 4:59 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2011, 4:56 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

It would also help if you could post a TVFool report based on the actual height above ground level for the actual antenna installation. Your first TVFR is based on a default of 10' AGL. Do you have Douglas Fir or other straight, tall trees on your property, and would you consider mounting an antenna on the tree? If so, how high?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Aug-2011 at 6:37 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2011, 3:23 PM   #4
DBLOCK

Antenna: Philips MANT901
Preamp/amp: Philips/Magnavox PM6112

I brought the antenna down to ground level thinking it was my location, but found I had just too many splitters! I found at least 4 on the line I was trying to test the system on...

I disconnected from my distribution box and went straight to the TV and have 8 stations: 13-1 13-2, 12-1, 12-2, and 4 around channel 20. this is with the antenna on the ground and pretty much pointing towards earth.

I want to hook up 3 tv's & maybe have a connection for FM.

I'll put the antenna back up on the roof (at least 30ft up) to see if I now get reception, but have been considering mounting the antenna in a tree too. I have plenty of straight, tall trees to choose from. A couple are already topped for me too. The tree option will result in a lot more RG6 in the system though.

Here's the rooftop (30ft AGL) data: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e742bc01a6960

Here's the treetop (60ft AGL) data: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9e7477b2c570da

Last edited by DBLOCK; 22-Aug-2011 at 4:23 PM. Reason: Add rooftop & treetop mount TVFM
Old 22-Aug-2011, 5:27 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

If it was as easy as snapping our fingers, mounting at 60' AGL obviously offers far better signal conditions than close to the ground.

It sounds like you have already figured out that unneeded splitters are a liability. You're on the right track... Get the antenna safely up at 30' AGL then prove it good into one set with no splitters.

I have not been able to find information regarding the PM6112. Is the system a two part design, an outdoor unit and power insertion devise for indoor installation? If so, I think you may have cited the part number from the power module.

Old 22-Aug-2011, 6:20 PM   #6
DBLOCK

Yes - the PM61112 (this is the correct PN) is a two part assembly. The preamp attaches to the antenna mast, while the amp plugs in inside, near the TV.

Is there a specific splitter I should be looking for, or just keep mindful of how many I use?

Last edited by DBLOCK; 22-Aug-2011 at 6:22 PM. Reason: question
Old 22-Aug-2011, 7:09 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

If you are going to connect three tuners, select a three way splitter... four tuners, a four way. Then run an uninterrupted cable from each splitter port to each tuner. The power insertion block for the amp will need to be between the splitter input port and the antenna.

The splitters at the big box home improvement stores are fine, Home Depot sell the Ideal brand which are fine.

If you choose a three way, one port of the three outputs will have less loss. Use that low loss port for the longest run of coax.

Resist the temptation to run one coax to a two way splitter, then on to the next set... another two way and on to the next... the signal at the end of that daisy chain will be far less usable.

Is this the amplifier you are using? http://www.usa.philips.com/c/cables-...83h_17/prd/en/

If so, it's frustrating that Philips offers no information re. it's noise figure or maximum signal capability... An all too common problem with consumer grade amplifiers. You own it, so try it. The indoor unit is most likely, just a power supply... the amplifier is in the outdoor unit. One with out the other will likely block all signals.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Aug-2011 at 7:20 PM.
Old 24-Aug-2011, 6:18 PM   #8
DBLOCK

That looks like the correct setup. Here's what's on the back of the box:

PM61112

Pre-Amplifier Unit:
Bandwidth 40-860 MHz
Gain V:28 dB, U:22 dB
Max Output Level 105 dB Micro V
Input/ output Impedance 75/300 ohms
Noise Fig. 4 dB/below AT500MHz

Amplifier Unit:
Input Voltage AC120V
Output Voltage AC24V
Input/Output Impedance 75/300 ohms

I put the antenna back up on the roof and rotated it a little to the east. I picked up a couple channels, lost a couple. I'll play with the mount location, and maybe height if I can't get channel 5 (I think if I get this one, then everything else should be available), then set up a rotator also included in the free stuff.

Thanks for all your help so far! Much appreciated...