TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2015, 7:18 PM   #1
samsterid

Outdoor antenna options for Napa, CA

Greetings all and thanks ahead for any help.

Here is my report at 20ft.:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243e79fbc270b

I could go as high as 25' or so, but I will need to wall mount about 4 ft. down from the apex of the roof so I can aim between two of my neighbor's trees (179 magnetic)

I have green highlight on the image below for stations desired, the pink ones are optional:

Thanks - Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NapaFool-20ft.jpg (228.3 KB, 554 views)
samsterid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2015, 8:59 PM   #2
timgr

Hi -

If you can aim between the trees at 179, then the UHF stations in that direction should be easy. The two VHF-high stations on your list are also at heading 179, KGO and KNTV. I'd think you will be able to pick up everything you have highlighted at 179/176 with a modest antenna, like the RCA ANT751 (ca $50). Unlikely this will pick up KEMO and KRCB though

What is the line-of-sight like aimed at KEMO? Another modest antenna (a second ANT751?) aimed at 309-310 should pick up those stations in that group. But you can't naively combine multiple antennas into a single wire. You could use an A/B switch and switch between antennas, or go fancy and connect separate tuners to your HTPC (a HomeRun HD, for example).

Getting KRCB will take something more. It is both off-axis and weak. You should be able to get it, but it will take a sensitive (large) UHF antenna pointed right at it, and no trees in the way.

Another possibility, if you want to put everything on a single wire coming down, is to use a DB8e antenna for UHF (ca $150), and separate cut-to-band antenna for KGO and KNTV, like the Antennacraft Y5713 (ca $30). Point one panel of the DB8e at 179 and one at 309 to get all your highlighted UHF stations 14-51 (except KRCB). Point the Y5713 at 179 to get 7 and 12. Then merge the two wires with a UVSJ combiner (ca $5). There is lots of signal in the air, so you should not need an amplifier.

Last edited by timgr; 2-Mar-2015 at 9:05 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2015, 6:00 PM   #3
samsterid

RCA looks good

I see now that there are already two PBS stations with a good signal, so I don't really need KRCB. And I can also do without KEMO for now.

I'll keep it simple at first - it will take me a few weeks to get around to installing, but I will report back then.

Thanks again!
samsterid is offline   Reply With Quote