TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2014, 3:43 PM   #1
swad13

Indoor Antenna-Southern NH

Can someone please tell me which indoor HD antenna to purchase for my mother? She 99% of the time she watches WMUR-TV (channel 9).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9403cd2a612f

Thank you!
swad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2014, 4:48 PM   #2
tomfoolery

Strong, line-of-sight high-vhf signal - I'd say any cheap indoor (unpowered) antenna with VHF dipole elements would work, but the Terk has the added benefit of being quite directional for UHF stations, which can aid in knocking down multipath problems on those channels.

But since she watches the only VHF station in the green, I would think any non-powered indoor with a real VHF dipole would be enough. I used the Radio Shack indoor for a while, until I got an outdoor (mounted in the attic) to get the more difficult distant stations I wanted, but I still use a telescopic dipole from an old portable TV for the VHF stations.

Just tossing it out there. Wait for the experts to chime in before buying.

Terk indoor antenna

Cheap Radio Shack indoor antenna
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2014, 4:47 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
I am Curious.

I recall at least 2 other question askers that have come here to tvfool.

Requesting to be able to receive WMUR Channel 9 , Only , with little to no interest in any other Broadcast Tv Networks.

What is the reason/s for receiving WMUR ABC 99% of the time , with little to no interest in any other Networks.

Why this focus on WMUR??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMUR-TV
Old 9-Jan-2014, 7:08 PM   #4
kdlibby

Wmur

Hi teleview,

WMUR is pretty much the only game in town for NH local news and weather. I expect the folks focused on it don't watch much entertainment TV.
kdlibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jan-2014, 3:30 AM   #5
teleview

+=>
-----
Well Ok thank you , kdlibby.

Well Ok , however , still strikes me as Odd , the wording used and such importance placed on WMUR.

And what is Really Odd is even more importance placed on not even having any requirement to receive any other Networks , not even PBS.

And even to the point of having a antenna that only receives WMUR channel 9.

More then one question asker has presented these High Level Requests for WMUR and nothing else.

It's real Odd.

Gets My Attention.
Old 10-Jan-2014, 6:44 AM   #6
StephanieS

Hello Swad13,

My grandmother was like that. CBS was her channel and "Murder She Says." No other channels mattered.

Is this a home or apartment? If you could, I'd install an Antennacraft HBU11k http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...t-%28hbu11k%29 Outdoors orientated to magnetic 326. There is enough signal from other stations, I'd expect to see many more even if not pointed at them.

If your mother wants WMUR only, then program her TV to only a couple channels (or single channel in this case). My mother's new samsung allows for "favorite" channels only to be selected in the menus. Then the channel button up or down only scrolls through the selected favorites. That may be an option.

I'm not a fan of indoor antennas. Even with plentiful signal, they may still be unreliable due to electrical interference and multipath. I'd hate to see you install a small indoor antenna then have hours of unending frustration and hers as well.

Thus, the HBU11k outdoors at magnetic 326 with the best line of sight possible in that direction in addition to programming your mother's TV tuner for her specific tastes is my recommendation.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote