TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Dec-2013, 7:43 PM   #1
fgaudet

Unhappy Can't get PBS in Montreal anymore! (57.1, .2, .3)

Does anyone know if Mountain Lake PBS (WCFE-DT) has changed something in their signal? I'm in Montreal and PBS is listed as 'green' in my tv signal report.

I bought an antenna about a month weeks and reception had been fine until a week ago when the signal went flat dead for 57.1, 57.2 and 57.3. All other channels are unchanged and come in strong.
My antenna setup has not changed, nor has any building magically popped up in front of it... My antenna is outside and has clear view to the sky, aimed pretty much straight at the PBS signal.

Does temperature affect antenna performance or signal range?

My TV Signal Analysis Report

The antenna is Digiwave ANT2085, and is mounted outside at about 25' height.

Any help appreciated!
fgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-2013, 8:00 PM   #2
tomfoolery

For what it's worth, rabbitears.info shows them as still being on the air, broadcasting on real 38.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=wcfe
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-2013, 8:39 PM   #3
fgaudet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
For what it's worth, rabbitears.info shows them as still being on the air, broadcasting on real 38.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...&callsign=wcfe
Thanks for the info, although I'm somewhat at lost what to do with that info...

Is there anyone in the Montreal region that can confirm whether they are still receiving PBS? All my friends are on cable...
Old 10-Dec-2013, 8:45 PM   #4
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgaudet View Post
Thanks for the info, although I'm somewhat at lost what to do with that info...
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be much use directly, but at least it doesn't show a red X, like WGMU does.

If it were me, I'd call the station (and ask to get to engineering) to verify that they still are broadcasting OTA, and to verify the actual channel they're transmitting on. It's possible they're having trouble with their transmitter, for instance.

Their web site mentions that they're broadcasting OTA on the channel indicated on tvfool and rabbitears, but who knows. Nothing like going right to the source.

Contact them here: Mountain Lake PBS

Last edited by tomfoolery; 10-Dec-2013 at 8:57 PM. Reason: added link
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
------
Contact WCFE PBS engineering department and have a informational chat , on the Phone , not text , not e-mail.

Ask engineering department what is the Real and Actual channel that is being Transmitted and Received.

Ask them what the , virtual channel number is.

Tvfool channel list shows the Real Channel and shows the virtual number.

----------

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCFE-TV

----------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 12-Dec-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 13-Dec-2013, 1:17 PM   #6
fgaudet

Thanks for the suggestion teleview.

I tried contacting them through their facebook page, direct facebook message, and direct email, all with no reply so far.

This week end I will try to relocate my antenna to have a better 'clear sky' view. Still seems strange to me that the signal should suddenly go from ok to flat dead.

If this doesn't fix it, I will call them up and ask for their engineering department. If I still can't find a solution, my gf will demand cable... The thought of paying $50+/month for a bucket load of crap channels abhors me...
Old 13-Dec-2013, 2:57 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
------

Do not use e-mail , Do not use text , Do not use Facebook , Do not uses any social jibber jabber web sites.

Yes do use a Real and Actual Phone , speaking with the Real and Actual Voice with the Engineering Depatment.

Last edited by teleview; 13-Dec-2013 at 8:52 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.