TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Apr-2011, 2:05 PM   #1
mrpep

What splitters to use? hbu33

I plan on canceling dishnet this week. I have my antenna in the attic and am getting some choppiness in some channels. I will be moving the antenna to the roof , this may help. The plan is to take the coaxial from dishnet dish and place it on the antenna. This way I dont have to do much. The coaxial is already running to all rooms but I do need to replace the splitter cause they used a 3 way splitter and I need 5 way. What splitter should I use? Will going to 5 tvs break up my quality of video? Will the dishnet coaxial work well?
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (69.7 KB, 505 views)

Last edited by mrpep; 17-Apr-2011 at 2:16 PM.
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2011, 2:47 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Replacing satellite with Antenna

Attached is a tip sheet I wrote a while back that applies you your project. It may be helpful.

Your TVfool suggests that you have ample signal power available for your desired distribution system and that you won't need any amplification. I your case, I'd suggest a 2-way and a 4-way splitter connected as follows, providing your cabling runs permit it: Install the 4-way splitter on your down-lead. Take one of the outputs and feed it into a 2-way splitter. Select the three longest runs and hook them to the remaining three outlets and the two shortest runs to the output of the 2-way.

If you'd like to select splitters that is available almost anywhere, I've tested the "Ideal" brand available at Home Depot and Lowes and have found them to be quite good.

Do select a mounting location that permits the greatest avoidance of trees, buildings, and any other obstructions in your line-of-sight towards the Willis (Sears) Tower. Temporarily mount the antenna in any spot and test reception before drilling any holes in the outside of your home's roof or gables.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing satellite service with an antenna.pdf (52.3 KB, 1190 views)

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2011, 3:06 PM   #3
mrpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Attached is a tip sheet I wrote a while back that applies you your project. It may be helpful.

Your TVfool suggests that you have ample signal power available for your desired distribution system and that you won't need any amplification. I your case, I'd suggest a 2-way and a 4-way splitter connected as follows, providing your cabling runs permit it: Install the 4-way splitter on your down-lead. Take one of the outputs and feed it into a 2-way splitter. Select the three longest runs and hook them to the remaining three outlets and the two shortest runs to the output of the 2-way.

If you'd like to select splitters that is available almost anywhere, I've tested the "Ideal" brand available at Home Depot and Lowes and have found them to be quite good.

Do select a mounting location that permits the greatest avoidance of trees, buildings, and any other obstructions in your line-of-sight towards the Willis (Sears) Tower. Temporarily mount the antenna in any spot and test reception before drilling any holes in the outside of your home's roof or gables.
I will be placing it on the roof later today and will update the thread.
Old 18-Apr-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
mrpep

Well its up and working but I still get a lil break up on a few channels. I guess my roof isnt as high as I thought cause there are a bunch of trees in the way. Attached you can see pics of the trees. Would an amplifier help? or do I just have to live with it? Take a look at the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04 17 11 PICS 141.JPG (233.8 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg 04 17 11 PICS 142.JPG (225.7 KB, 619 views)

Last edited by mrpep; 18-Apr-2011 at 12:19 AM.