TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Feb-2012, 7:25 PM   #1
forbish07

Question Stumped, full strength Signal still dropping out

Hello there, not sure if you can help me or not, but I just finished my antenna project. I made the 9.5” whisker version with the Long phase lines and a curved reflector using steel screen with ½” X ½” holes ended up at approx 36” X 42” total, copper was used for the whiskers (10ga) and the phase lines (14ga) and the whole frame is made out of PVC as opposed to wood Like this

http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweath...t%20layout.pdf.

I have it hooked up through a Hauppauge 2250 tuner in my computer. My antenna is attic mounted as I am only about 5 miles from most of my local broadcast stations (TVFool.com terrain map
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86083307067f)
and the drop to the computer is about 40’ of RG6 coax. I am getting excellent signal strength on all of the channels I receive according to Windows Media Centers “Signal strength” tester, full bars even in wind and picture/audio is excellent. All of my channels are coming in loud and clear except one, UHF 40- channel 6.1 CBS is constantly dropping out even though it has full strength (full bars again). It will play perfect for about 10-15 seconds and the drop out, come back and repeat. I have aimed my antenna right at the tower instead of splitting the difference between 5 and 16 degrees (to better grab all of the stations) with no help. Do you have any suggestions for me to try? Do you need more info from me? Should I try it without the reflector? Its not like I watch 6.1 very often, but it has been hard enough at this point to get my wife on board to drop cable! Any help would be appreciated![/SIZE][/SIZE]
forbish07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Multipath is the problem. Reduction of the strength of the Very Strong direct signals / reflected signals will likely help. http://www.antennasdirect.com , has a variable attenuator. Repeated problems of reception complaintes with the computer connected tuners here at tvfool. Computer connected tuners like a Nice Clean signal. Connect the antenna direct to a tv with a built in Digital Broadcast Tv Tuner. Attics not the most friendly places for a tv antenna to be , move the antenna to above the roof.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2012, 2:01 AM   #3
phone man

Talking

Just curious, can you duplicate the problem if you connect your antenna directly to a TV? That's a lot of antenna for being only five miles from the broadcast towers. I'll bet a simple UHF loop (or even a paperclip for that matter) feeding your coax would work beautifully.

OOps! Electron already asked about a direct connection to the TV. Should have read his post a little closer.

Last edited by phone man; 7-Feb-2012 at 2:03 AM.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2012, 3:03 AM   #4
forbish07

Thanks guys, I was thinking that it was a bit much but didnt want to UNDERdo it either since I knew it was going into the attic. I will try direct into the TV to see if the issue goes away or not. Do you think removing the reflector could help? Possibly cause it to lose just enough gain to allow the channel's to still function properly but allow 6.1 to stop dropping? I would hate to use an attenuator as I don't want to screw up the other channels in the process. My original plan was splitting the coax to 3 TV's and I knew I would lose some gain because of that, but that plan has changed. I WILL be using a dual splitter though to run a coax straight to the TV (one to Compy for dual channel DVR and one to TV for a 3rd signal in case I am already recording 2 things).

I got a kick out of the visual for the paperclip into the end of the coax as well! Would've probably worked flawlessly!
Old 7-Feb-2012, 2:48 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If multi-path is suspected, whether in an attic or outdoors, try relocating the antenna to see if you can find a spot where the errant reflections aren't at. At UHF frequencies, it might only take a foot or so at a minimum, but be prepared to try multiple locations.

Hauppage's website has a signal meter utility available for the 2250. You might try downloading and running it instead of the WMC meter. The Hauppage meter will give the SNR of the signal instead of some arbitrary "meter" reading. You may find it to be much handier for diagnosing your reception issues.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Feb-2012 at 2:57 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2012, 2:54 PM   #6
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Try this antenna , http://www.winegarddirect.com , HD7210P mounted Above the roof.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2012, 3:33 PM   #7
forbish07

Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
If multi-path is suspected, whether in an attic or outdoors, try relocating the antenna to see if you can find a spot where the errant reflections aren't at. At UHF frequencies, it might only take a foot or so at a minimum, but be prepared to try multiple locations.

Hauppage's website has a signal meter utility available for the 2250. You might try downloading and running it instead of the WMC meter. The Hauppage meter will give the SNR of the signal instead of some arbitrary "meter" reading. You may find it to be much handier for diagnosing your reception issues.
Thanks very much! I will try a few different spots as well as all the other suggestions. And thanks for the heads up on the Hauppauge meter, I briefly looked online to try and find something better then the WMC meter! I will DL right away!