TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Mar-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
Brentvsmaximvs

Somerset, Kentucky

I am able to pick up 20.1 and 20.2 from Knoxville, TN and 29.1, 2 and 3 (KET)
I have a clearstream 2v at 25 feet with a radio shack preamp on it.

I can get 5 digital and up to 6 analog channels.
How can I get a few more stations from Knoxville or even lexington?

TV Fool Report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...513468af978e22
Brentvsmaximvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2016, 3:43 AM   #2
shoman94

You're not going to do it with that antenna. Your gonna need a DB8e aimed at 20 degrees and likely some more height for your best chance. How about making some tv fool reports at 30,35,40 feet to see how it changes the report. We also need to know what your cable runs are.

Last edited by shoman94; 15-Mar-2016 at 1:09 PM.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your attached report is inaccurate (vague) due to Google's failure to accurately geocode your street address.

Use the interactive/online tool to precisely drop the balloon marker onto your rooftop, then run new plots at the suggested heights.

Quote:
Your gonna need a DB8e aimed at 20 degrees
Premature assessment, insufficient data is available to make that recommendation. Lexington maybe completely unreceivable... or not.

Quote:
I have a clearstream 2v at 25 feet with a radio shack preamp on it.
Which specific RS preamp? What direction is the C2V aimed?

Quote:
up to 6 analog channels.
Can you itemize them? It's hard to find current data on what analog stations are still on the air.

Quote:
How can I get a few more stations from Knoxville or even lexington?
What does your line of sight look like from the antenna mounting location in the direction of both Lexington and Knoxville?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 15-Mar-2016 at 11:07 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2016, 1:27 PM   #4
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Premature assessment, insufficient data is available to make that recommendation. Lexington maybe completely unreceivable... or not.
That was an opinion of his best chance. He'll need the highest gain UHF antenna for any chance.
Old 15-Mar-2016, 2:46 PM   #5
ADTech

Quote:
That was an opinion of his best chance. He'll need the highest gain UHF antenna for any chance.
Maybe, maybe not. He may be in a location that's far easier or he might be in a location that's impossible.

It's better to wait for accurate information rather than making a snap recommendation based only on poor information. Garbage in - garbage out. Wait for the proper data.

There is no blue ribbon or participation trophy for posting the first response to a question.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 15-Mar-2016, 2:50 PM   #6
shoman94

Quote:

There is no blue ribbon or participation trophy for posting the first response to a question.
No there isn't. There isn't a need for you to be a dick either with your response.

Last edited by shoman94; 15-Mar-2016 at 3:16 PM.
Old 15-Mar-2016, 3:31 PM   #7
Jake V

shoman94,

I must agree with ADTech. It's premature to offer advice before knowing the exact situation. It's possible an accurate TVFool Report will show better conditions. It's also possible that an accurate TVFool Report will show worse conditions.

Jake
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2016, 3:38 PM   #8
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
shoman94,

I must agree with ADTech. It's premature to offer advice before knowing the exact situation. It's possible an accurate TVFool Report will show better conditions. It's also possible that an accurate TVFool Report will show worse conditions.

Jake
I agree that it was premature as I didn't notice the inaccurate note on the report but I don't agree that his response towards me helps the thread. If anything it just creates animosity.
Old 16-Mar-2016, 1:22 AM   #9
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

What's really interesting is that Brentvsmaximvs gave a more accurate report in his previous thread. It would have been better if he had added his question to that thread instead of starting a new thread.

Which antenna would work?
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15373

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f08a38216321
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2016, 2:15 PM   #10
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
No there isn't. There isn't a need for you to be a dick either with your response.

My apologies, it wasn't my intention to come off that way. I was simply emphasizing the virtues of patience.

Old 17-Mar-2016, 4:46 PM   #11
Billiam

Here's a link that may help.

www.propertycrunch.com

Put in an address and wait for the information page to show up for that address. You will find the exact geographical coordinates for the property, if the address is input correctly, on the page. Look hard in the middle of the page below the map and you should see the coordinates.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2016, 4:47 PM   #12
Billiam

Quote:
AD Tech is correct. You are out of line. I just added a link that should help the OP to find his exact coordinates.
Old 17-Mar-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Here's a link that may help.

www.propertycrunch.com

Put in an address and wait for the information page to show up for that address. You will find the exact geographical coordinates for the property, if the address is input correctly, on the page. Look hard in the middle of the page below the map and you should see the coordinates.
Or just use the tool already located on TVFOOL.
Interactive MAP

Quote:
AD Tech is correct. You are out of line. I just added a link that should help the OP to find his exact coordinates.
Its already been agreed upon that my post wasn't accurate. Your comment is irrelevant.

Last edited by shoman94; 18-Mar-2016 at 5:38 PM.
Old 18-Mar-2016, 4:31 PM   #14
Billiam

Quote:
Or just use the tool already located on TVFOOL.
Interactive MAP

Its already been agreed upon that my post wasn't accurate. Your comment irrelevant.
TV Fool cannot create Geographical Coordinates to use if the Address input brings up "Street Level" data only. You get a precise report for a location if you use the right coordinates. www.propertycrunch.com will generate the proper coordinates if you input a specific address and then those Coordinates can be used in place of the Address for a accurate report.
Old 18-Mar-2016, 5:37 PM   #15
shoman94

Quote:
TV Fool cannot create Geographical Coordinates to use if the Address input brings up "Street Level" data only. You get a precise report for a location if you use the right coordinates. www.propertycrunch.com will generate the proper coordinates if you input a specific address and then those Coordinates can be used in place of the Address for a accurate report.
It gives you the coordinates.... you can place the PIN right on the roof top or exact location you are placing the antenna. At the bottom of the map next to the antenna height is the coordinates. Then you can use those coordinates to create the report.
Old 26-Mar-2016, 8:08 AM   #16
StephanieS

This is my question as well as I agree with patience to find the best data possible to help Brent. Thank you to Rabbit for linking the other thread report with the more precise situation of the OP.

Brent, as for my take. Still a rough slog. I'd like to see you post heights of 40, 75, 100 and 150'. At 25', cobbling together reliable reception of Lexington network affiliates may be in the very difficult to impossible category. You suffer from distances of 60 to 70+ miles in addition to 2-edge conditions. Meaning terrain is blocking the path to the transmitters from Lexington. This can really compromise the signal (what's left of it) as it reaches your antenna. Mileage is also an important variable. UHF with it's shorter wavelength compared to VHF signals, tends to not travel as well. This means after 65-70 miles the signal may just "peter" out due to not tolerating obstacles as well as VHF signals in addition to having a shorter wavelength. Most reputable antenna makers don't go past 60 or 70 mile claims on UHF for this reason.

This isn't to say you may have some wildcards that may work in your favor. However, my take at the moment is more data please. An antenna is only good as it's signal access. If you are surrounded by trees, blocked by hills with general poor signal access even a Wade Parabolic UHF antenna (VERY pricey compared to a Clearstream 2V) won't succeed.

SS

Quote:
What does your line of sight look like from the antenna mounting location in the direction of both Lexington and Knoxville?
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote