TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jul-2014, 3:45 AM   #1
nekkidnorman

Help me cut the cord!

I'm looking to kick Comcast to the curb and just go with an antenna, IF I can get at least the Big 3 stations (ABC, NBC, CBS) which are all about 21-22 miles away and roughly in the same direction (42-43 degrees).

Also, it would be a big bonus if I could get ION but it's further away (40.6 miles) AND in a different direction (341 degrees)!

Here's the TV Signal Analysis for my home:
My TV Signal Analysis

Based on the recommendation of a friend who lives a mile from me, I picked up a Mohu Leaf 50 Mohu Leaf 50 and tried it but only get 2 of the Big 3 (and a total of about 6 stations). I'm not sure if I need to do more fiddling with it as I just tried it in 2 locations with the same results. Maybe I need to try to turn it?

I don't want an outdoor antenna but would consider an attic one if that'd help, though wiring it will be a major PIA (and require a fair amount of cable run).

As far as my house, there's nothing higher than me (in the direction of the towers) other than the tree in my front yard which is half dead but hard to get around. FWIW, there are large overhead powerlines about 500 yards from my house but I'm not sure if they'd pose a problem?

I ran by Walmart earlier today and they had these antennas in stock (I don't mind ordering online but if I can pick it up locally it'd be preferrable):
ClearStream-2-V-Long-Range
ClearStream-1-Convertible-HDTV-Antenna
RCA ANT702F-Indoor-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna
Audiovox ANT1450B-Flat-Digital-Antenna

So what do I do? Do I play more with the placement of the Mohu Leaf? (and if so, any suggestions since it's designed to be mounted on a wall and my walls all point towards the compass points and not towards 42 degrees!)

Do I try a different antenna? If so, what do you recommend? I'd rather not have to try to attic mount something (and even that won't get me higher than the tree in my yard) but if it's my only hope than I'm willing to as a last resort.

If I want to get the Big 3 AND ION, do I need 2 antennas pointed different directions?

I really appreciate any/all help!
nekkidnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2014, 5:54 AM   #2
nekkidnorman

BTW, based on a suggestion someone posted to another newbie like me in another thread:
Using Google Earth I drew a line from approximately where I'd place an antenna, out from there at 42-43 degrees and it "appears" to not be obstructed by any trees. I'm not sure exactly how accurate this is (the Google image is 6 months old and even my half dead tree might have grown) but at worst case there MIGHT be a few leaves in the LOS. Also, I'm not opposed to taking a chainsaw to my tree (or a neighbors tree if there's plausible deniablity!)
nekkidnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2014, 3:33 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Most of the signals you're interested in are broadcast on real UHF channels, but some are broadcast on VHF. That means the UHF only Mohu is not likely to perform adequately in your situation.

I'd opt for an outdoor antenna, but if you won't consider that, an attic mounted Antennacraft HBU-33 is an option that should work... If you attic/roof construction does not use metal or other RF unfriendly materials. Start with the antenna pointed NE.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2014, 3:54 PM   #4
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidnorman View Post
Using Google Earth I drew a line from approximately where I'd place an antenna, out from there at 42-43 degrees and it "appears" to not be obstructed by any trees.
The mapping function on the home page will do this, with satellite view, and draw lines to the transmitters.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote