TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Jan-2011, 2:15 AM   #1
smsboodoo

Whats the best antenna choice?

I'm looking to dump my Comcast and move to OTA TV. It seems there are a fair amount of channels in my area, so I'm looking to maximize channel numbers, but I also want to maintain excellent reception. It appears that some channels are in high VHF, but most are in UHF. The two that are in VHF I definitely want. I live in an area that has visual to downtown Minneapolis, though there are houses and trees, but not very dense. I'm thinking I will probably mount the antenna about 15' off the ground, 20' max on the side of my house.

My plan is to have this feed all my TV receptacles(about 5) even though they will never all be used at the same time. Will I need additional amplifiers aside from the "injector" that some of these come with?

What would you recommend for an antenna on a budget of less that 100.00 including mounts, cables and amplifiers? I will install it myself so no expense there.

Here is the link from TVFool that I hope helps you help me...
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4279e501aa1

Someone else recommended I buy the Winegard SS 200, which does seem like it would work.

Thank you for helping me out.
smsboodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If the house is not wrapped with any type or kind of metal such as but not limited to metal siding or stucko with stucko Wire. And if the house does not have a metal roof or solar panels on the roof and if the walls are not made out of poured concrete. And the attic of the house does not have metal foil backed insulation. And the Tv is not located in the basement. Then a SIMPLE indoor antenna connected a Tv will get you most of the channels in green. Here are some SIMPLE indoor antennas. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , Here are pictures of how to aim Tv antennas http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html , Read and understand this about Real Digital Tv Channels and Virtual Digital Tv Channels. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . . . . KMSP digital channel 9 FOX is a strong station and the stations above that are stronger.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Jan-2011 at 3:22 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2011, 2:14 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsboodoo View Post
Someone else recommended I buy the Winegard SS 200, which does seem like it would work.
The SS2000 is a poor VHF antenna. Some have discovered that it is a V-pol antenna on VHF. As such it might work better if you mount it diagonally.

Better choices are:
ANT751
HBU-22
HD7694P
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2011, 2:40 PM   #4
John Candle

KMSP digital channel 9 FOX is a strong station and the stations above that are stronger. . K14KH channel 14 is 3 ABN religion , K16HY-D is EWTN religion , K25IA-Dis TBN religion , K43HB 43 is HSN home shopping network , KDMI LD 31 is Daystar religion , KHVM-LD 28 and KTCJ-LD 50 is SIL - what ever SIL is. Any Tv stations further down the list are not receivable.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Jan-2011 at 2:50 PM.
Old 12-Jan-2011, 3:43 PM   #5
John Candle

For a roof top antenna I suggest the Winegard HD7694P and use a Channelmaster CM3414 four way distribution amplifier in the house. Connect a two way splitter to the coax from the antenna , one of the outputs of the 2 way splitter is connected to the closest Tv. The other output of 2 way splitter is connected to the distribution amplifier.
Old 12-Jan-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
clayton

here in the bahamas am getting rolling screen on zns 13 tthen fades back out do you think i need to go higher to get clear pic. am not at 30 ft whats the best for this solution if any
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
TurnipTruck

If you go rooftop, you may not need the amplifier. In many situations, broadband amplifiers can be driven into distortion by a strong local channel.
TurnipTruck is offline   Reply With Quote