TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Jan-2015, 2:04 AM   #1
Chris

Need advice on replacing old antenna

Radar plot;

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15ba09c2c22a

Need advice on replacing old antenna is on hill about 20 feet off the ground and about 75ft from the house amplifier is a radio shack #15-1108 that has the gain turned all the way down all cable is RG6. Also RF MoCA Amplifier - Passive Return CATV Amp: PCT-MAB-F14P running to 5 sets. Now receive every thing in the green, yellow and red but 35-1, to 35-3 is not viewable most of the time. May need 2 antennas due to the tower location.

The old antenna.
antenna.JPG
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2015, 4:20 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

One of my favorite combinations is the Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R. Your report is one of the many that that combination fits very well.

I'm keeping my eye out for a new preamp from Antennas Direct... Until then, this combo gives you maximum performance and the greatest flexibility when fine tuning antenna aim points. The usual install puts the UHF antenna at the top of the mast and the H-VHF at least 3' below the bottom of the upper antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2015, 2:05 PM   #3
Tim

If you are receiving everything well now, I don't quite understand why you would want to replace anything.

By channels 35-1 to 35-3, do you mean KRSU? If so, it is in a different direction than the majority of your other stations plus has a weaker signal which would explain your reception issues with it.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2015, 2:56 PM   #4
Chris

Tim thanks for reply

If you are receiving everything well now, I don't quite understand why you would want to replace anything.

The old antenna is in bad shape elements falling off and pole allmost rusted into.

By channels 35-1 to 35-3, do you mean KRSU? If so, it is in a different direction than the majority of your other stations plus has a weaker signal which would explain your reception issues with it.

Yes if is KRSU wife wants it.
Old 13-Jan-2015, 4:05 PM   #5
Chris

GroundUrMast

Is the Antennas Direct DB8E the same as a Double Bay Gray-Hoverman? I have one that I could try after getting the RCA TVPRAMP1R.
Old 14-Jan-2015, 1:34 AM   #6
Chris

GrundUrMast

After a closer look at Antenna Direct DB8e can this antenna look at two directions at the same time? And pickup KRSU?
Old 14-Jan-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Jake V

Yes, the DB-8e has two panels, each of which can be aimed separately.

But the DB-8e is for UHF and you have several VHF-HI stations (11-PBS, 8-NBC and 10-ABC). If you're going to use the DB-8e for UHF go with something like the Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713 for these stations.

For the DB-8e aim one panel at about 52 degrees on a compass (midway between 17-Ind and 35-KRSU) and adjust either way until you have what you want. Aim the other panel at about 160 degrees. Most stations are concentrated between 122 and 158 degrees but 28-ION is at 168 degrees. That's a pretty wide spread so you might not get everything (you can also forgo the stations at 58 degrees aim one at 135/140 degrees and the other at 182 degrees for 28-ION).

Others will also post. Wait for a few experts.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2015, 3:45 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

The edge path conditions and low signal strength for KRSU may force you to dedicate an antenna to that lone signal... Before you presume that though, I'd suggest you try 'splitting' the aim of the DB8E to see if it can cover both the SE and NE directions. When splitting the aim, the net gain is less, as is the ability of the antenna to reject interference from off angles. If you can find aim points for each panel that provide reliable reception from the two directions everyone's happy.

I'd point the Y10713 at about 125° to start with... then adjust for best reception of the real channels 8, 10 & 11.

Worst case, If you need to chase down one off angle weak signal, consider using a separate dedicated antenna, cabled to an axillary tuner. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882
Old 14-Jan-2015, 3:50 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Though the DB8E is not a Double Bay Gray-Hoverman, it has very comparable performance. If you have a GH that's in good shape, use it to see what you can pick up.

I'd try testing with no preamp, just a 50' or less cable and a good tuner. Reliable receptin starts with the antenna and it's location/aim. The preamp will not improve the performance of any antenna. Use the preamp to overcome the loss in cable and splitters.
Old 29-Apr-2015, 8:59 PM   #10
Chris

Up date

I got the antennas both installed and want to say it is working grate. The meter on the tv is in the upper 90s to 100 on all stations except, 44 but it is in the other direction and I can live with that. Thanks You All Chris
Old 29-Apr-2015, 11:13 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

It's always good to hear a success report!

Thanks

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')