Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2011, 3:29 AM   #1
kanjigirl

Can't get KUSA/NBC in Fort Collins, CO

Having kind of a weird problem.

Here's my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5650deacab6

We just cut our cable off and are new to OTA. Our antenna's working great - got it hooked up to both the TV and Tivo, getting about 38 channels. It's a ClearStream 2 Complete from Antennas Direct.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html

One mystery though - we don't get KUSA (NBC) from Denver, 9 or 9.1, now that the antenna's on the roof. However we could get it very clearly when we first unpacked the antenna and had it sitting in a chair on the front porch.

My husband wonders if it could have something to do with the metal chair arms that were in contact with the antenna?

This station is only slightly weaker than the CBS and ABC stations we pick up just fine, same direction, same distance. And, we're pulling in weaker stations as well, so I don't understand this... any suggestions?
kanjigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Nov-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I usually expect the folks from Antennas Direct to be looking for customers such as you... They'll probably weigh in.

Is the antenna facing south?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Nov-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
kanjigirl

Yes, we've tried it facing both 177 deg and 187 deg (thinking there would be some difference between magnetic and true north), it doesn't come in at either position.

Antennas Direct told me to consider moving the antenna, although we won't have any better LOS in any other position on the roof. And they sent me an FM trap which did not help.

We're using a splitter, and have also tried running the cable directly to the TV rather than through the splitter and that also did not help.
Old 2-Nov-2011, 1:46 AM   #4
No static at all

AD is right, you need to move the antenna. It's likely sitting in a dead spot for KUSA's signal. Try moving the antenna up/down in 6 inch increments first. If that doesn't work, then a new mounting location on the roof would be the next logical move.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Nov-2011, 2:33 AM   #5
kanjigirl

Good advice - we'll try moving it up and down first, once this snow event is over.
Old 2-Nov-2011, 5:06 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjigirl View Post
Having kind of a weird problem.

One mystery though - we don't get KUSA (NBC) from Denver, 9 or 9.1, now that the antenna's on the roof.

It's a ClearStream 2 Complete from Antennas Direct.
To me, the mystery is why you got NBC in the first place. NBC is a VHF station, it's 57 miles away behind a hill, and you have a UHF only antenna.

I'd add a Y5-7-13 using a UVSJ, or sell the antenna and get a proper antenna rated for channels 7-69.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Nov-2011, 6:04 PM   #7
kanjigirl

It's not a UHF-only antenna, and it is rated for 7-69.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html
Old 2-Nov-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Now, now, she has a "proper" 7-51 antenna. She has the C2v, not a C2. Channel 7 from Denver is fine. It's only channel 9 that's giving her problems since the antenna was installed in the current location. Ch 9 came in while the antenna was sitting on a chair on the porch.

I suspect it's either multi-path that's specific to that particular channel or some other electronics interference. FMI has been largely ruled out by trying an FM filter.

She's been advised to try a different location for the antenna. Next step would be to select an antenna with more directionality for the high-VHF. I'm certainly open to other ideas.

Parallel thread over at AVS....

Now, if you can tell me why a guy in Pinkney, MI with a C5 pointed at Detroit can't get the Fox station, we'll make progress somewhere.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Nov-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Now, now, she has a "proper" 7-51 antenna. .
Please change my selection of the word "proper" to uni-directional.
Old 3-Nov-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Parallel thread over at AVS....

Now, if you can tell me why a guy in Pinkney, MI with a C5 pointed at Detroit can't get the Fox station, we'll make progress somewhere.
It's probably interference, but from where? It's probably local, such as from something in the house, or nearby power line interference.

Things to check are:

Listen for power line noise on a AM car radio tuned to 530 kHz. A loud buzz indicates a problem.

I've seen amplified FM antennas oscillate on channel 6, a frequency that would be 1/2 that of channel 7. Turning the variable gain down solved the problem.
Old 3-Nov-2011, 3:19 PM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Please change my selection of the word "proper" to uni-directional.

Yes, agreed. This location is really "pushing it" for a simple dipole which has almost no ability to reject interference except off the ends of the dipole.

I do suspect that my customer in Pinkey is suffering from interference of some kind. I'll have to work on that one some more....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
uwaga12

Update?

Has there been any resolution on this? I am having the same problem.
uwaga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2013, 3:01 PM   #13
kanjigirl

No resolution, sorry. Channel 9 comes in sometimes, and does not at other times. When it's cold, it comes in less often, if that makes any sense.
Old 15-Aug-2013, 4:55 PM   #14
teleview

Install a , Antenna Craft , HBU44.

Aimed at about 178 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Digital Tv tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.