TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-May-2011, 9:46 PM   #21
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Depending on location where a person lives. Now days one can find , Korean programing , Chinese programing , Japan programing , South america programing , Russia programing , Spanish programing and etc. and etc. . And before you turn up your nose , think about this , more programing brings on more programing , even some you will like.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 9:53 PM   #22
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Here are some free on line Tv guides , http://television.aol.com , http://tv.yahoo.com , http://www.titantv.com , http://tv.entertainment.excite.com , http://www.zap2it.com , http://tvzap.com

Last edited by John Candle; 25-May-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 24-May-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
HannahWCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
I did a little googling of Tv stations and put there for you to see. Example: ME Tv - http://metvnetwork.com , I will not google all of the Tv stations call signs and find out whats is on , you will need to do that for your self. Digital Tv stations can transmit more then one tv channel , they are known as sub channels. Usulay up to 4 Tv sub channels , however 6 and even 8 Tv sub channels can be transmitted , also audio only and data only channels can be transmitted.
I think you have misunderstood my question. I have done my research and I know about sub-stations. And I am fully aware of google, however, Titan TV (et al.) do not list the stations you discussed above:

W20DD-D 20
W42DR-D 42
W41DL-D 41
WHDW-LP 48

My question regarding these stations is what are they? Just transponders or do they have actual original programming?
HannahWCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
HannahWCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Ditto ADTech's response.

If you are still shopping for PVR technology, there are a variety of options. The stand alone CM-7000PAL is one option. Silicondust HDHomeRun is another, especially if you already own a PC capable of HD video playback. These and other options can be used with multiple fixed aim antennas if you choose. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820
Thanks for the info. My plan is to add a tv tuner card to one of my PC's. Then, I want to save my shows in a format that I can stream to my PS3 for viewing on my tv. I am hoping this is possible, but haven't really found any direct information on doing this.
Old 24-May-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahWCU View Post
W20DD-D 20
W42DR-D 42
W41DL-D 41
WHDW-LP 48

My question regarding these stations is what are they? Just transponders or do they have actual original programming?
Dig through here to figure out the answers.

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...earch&state=NC
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 11:47 PM   #26
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahWCU View Post
Thanks for the info. My plan is to add a tv tuner card to one of my PC's. Then, I want to save my shows in a format that I can stream to my PS3 for viewing on my tv. I am hoping this is possible, but haven't really found any direct information on doing this.
I don't own a PS3... will it play .MP2 (MPEG-2) format files? That's the format OTA DTV is broadcast in and the format The Silicondust HW/SW saves in. Microsoft loves to save stuff in proprietary formats which is true of their Media Center SW. Linux on the other hand is nearly 100% open source.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-May-2011 at 11:50 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
HannahWCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Dig through here to figure out the answers.

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...earch&state=NC
Now THAT helped! Thanks!! I think I understand now. These transponders rebroadcast (or simulcast) the original stations broadcast on a different "real" channel. But it will show up as a (virtual) sub-channel on the original stations (virtual) Channel.
Old 25-May-2011, 12:02 AM   #28
HannahWCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I don't own a PS3... will it play .MP2 (MPEG-2) format files? That's the format OTA DTV is broadcast in and the format The Silicondust HW/SW saves in. Microsoft loves to save stuff in proprietary formats which is true of their Media Center SW. Linux on the other hand is nearly 100% open source.
I am pretty sure the PS3 will play Mpeg2 streams. I don't want to mess with Microsofts Media Center. I currently am using a stand alone Networked Media Center Drive to stream to my PS3. It works great, I use the drive to stream Backup copies of my DVD's and other videos to the PS3. So the plan is to only use the PC to record the shows, then use the Media Center Drive to stream.
Old 25-May-2011, 1:07 PM   #29
Esteban

I had trouble with " Titan TV " & started using this which is easier to use.

http://www.zap2it.com/
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-May-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
HannahWCU

I placed an order today for:

Antennas Direct DB4
Winegard Gable End Mount
WINEGARD 5-Feet Swedged Masting Antenna

I added the 5 foot section to add some height to the antenna. Everything I read says higher is better. I just hope it doesn't put too much stress on the mount in high winds. I ended up ordering all of it from amazon because I had $40 in credits I needed to use. So the whole order only cost me ~$45. I thought that was pretty good. I will buy the cabling and other assorted fittings locally. I probably won't get it up for 2-3 weeks but I will let you know how it goes.
Old 28-May-2011, 3:17 AM   #31
johnstonad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
For the four stations specified, go with the 4-bay antenna vs the 8-bay. You should be able to aim it at the stations at 138 and receive the ones from 170 without problem, provided multi-math doesn't rear its head.
Yeah right. I agree with you. I'll try to go with 4-bay antenna. Thanks man.
johnstonad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2011, 12:46 AM   #32
HannahWCU

Finally got the antenna up. 9 stations!! No rotator and no preamp. Thanks to everyone here and TVFool!!
Old 20-Jun-2011, 1:33 AM   #33
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Be sure and rescan from time to time because new channels are added without notice.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Jun-2011 at 5:37 AM.
Old 20-Jun-2011, 5:39 PM   #34
HannahWCU

Quote:
Very good. With the digital sub channels , then that must be about 18 channels. Be sure and rescan from time to time because new channels are added without notice.
I was using a little 7" LCD on the roof to help me point the antenna. Got it close that way. I then hooked it up to the big TV (figured it had a better tuner) and it grabbed 34(!) total channels on its first scan. Several stations from the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point area. But the next day I couldn't get anything out of the Charlotte market. I am sure if I get on the roof one more time I can get a few more.

27 (18-1 WCCB) is the only Charlotte station giving me trouble. Since it is the same direction as 34 (9-1 WSOC) I don't really understand why I can get one and not the other at times. Can moving the antenna up and down on the mast make a difference? Also, what is the best way to route the cable on the antenna itself (will that make a difference)?

I will make a full list of channels I receive tonight when I get home. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 20-Jun-2011, 11:09 PM   #35
John Candle

Looking at the Current data base and the pending applications of your tvfool digital stations radar report I see multipul channels and transmitting locations WCCB and WSOC. Some Tv stations channels and transmitting locations are in a state of change because of the switch to digital transmission. There is jostling going on for who can transmit on what channel and what location. There is a lot of wheeling and dealing and even some law suits. The best thing to do is Googling of the stations call signs , making phone calls , tell you get to the engineering department that is dealing with the WCCB , WSOC transmitters and ask if a final location and channel has been decided. Just say I would like to talk to the engineering department please , and yes they will talk to you.

Last edited by John Candle; 20-Jun-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 21-Jun-2011, 1:33 AM   #36
HannahWCU

Turns out I didn't have the antenna pointed correctly. It was pointed at 180 (magn), it should have been pointed at 145 (magn). I used a compass and correctly pointed it this afternoon. I now get the following stations (plus all the sub-channels of each):

WHKY 40 (14.1)
WBTV 23 (3.1)
WCNC 22 (36.1)
WJZY 47 (46.1)
WMYT 39 (55.1)
WUNG 44 (58.1)
WCCB 27 (18.1)
WSOC 34 (9.1)
WCWG 19 (20.1)
WXLV 29 (45.1) out of market
WTVI 11 (42.1) (VHF??)
Old 21-Jun-2011, 5:53 AM   #37
John Candle

The strongest groups of stations are at , 263 true (270 magnetic) , 234 true (241 magnetic) , 170 true (171 magnetic) , try pointing the antenna in the middle at about , 208 true (215 magnetic)

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Jun-2011 at 5:57 AM.
Old 21-Jun-2011, 7:51 PM   #38
HannahWCU

Quote:
The strongest groups of stations are at , 263 true (270 magnetic) , 234 true (241 magnetic) , 170 true (171 magnetic) , try pointing the antenna in the middle at about , 208 true (215 magnetic)
I pointed the antenna at 138 true (145 magnetic) to receive the Charlotte stations that are the farthest away (FOX-WCCB 18.1 & ABC-WSOC 9.1). Tower Guy and ADTech suggested that if I point the antenna at these stations I would get the other (closer) stations also. They were correct.

The only stations I was really worried about were:

CBS-WBTV 23 (3.1)
NBC-WCNC 22 (36.1)
IND-WJZY 47 (46.1)
FOX-WCCB 27 (18.1)
ABC-WSOC 34 (9.1)
CW-WJZY 47 (46.1)

and a PBS, I get WUNG 44 (58.1) & WTVI 11 (42.1)

Getting more stations than this, is just icing on the cake. As we have discussed earlier, most of the others are just repeaters.

If I pointed the antenna at 263 true (270 magnetic) , 234 true (241 magnetic) , or 170 true (171 magnetic) I might receive more stations but I would not receive all my local networks. Not receiving all my the major networks kind-of defeats the purpose of an antenna doesn't it? Or am i missing something here?

Last edited by HannahWCU; 21-Jun-2011 at 7:55 PM.
Old 21-Jun-2011, 8:20 PM   #39
John Candle

You are doing fine. I am looking at the strongest signal strengths and looking and the variety of network channels. The direction you are pointing at is just fine.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Jun-2011 at 8:25 PM.