TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-May-2011, 1:01 PM   #1
HannahWCU

Antenna Help In NC

To start things off, here is my info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5747c83217d256

I am looking to cut the cord with my satellite provider (Dish, not that I don't like them but I am wanting to try to save the $105/month). I have a PS3 I use to stream Netflix and will be looking to add Hulu soon. What I am wanting to do is get my locals OTA (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox). ABC (WSOC Channel 34) and Fox (WCCB - 18) are quite a distance from my location (~45 miles). CBS (WBTV - 23) and NBC (WCNC - 22) are not too bad at ~27 Miles. And the two Antenna farms are in two different locations CBS & NBC at ~170 and FOX and ABC at 138.

From my research, it looks like I need an 8 bay (such as the antennas direct DB8). So my question is, does anyone think I might be able to pull all 4 stations in with one antenna? Or, if I need two antennas, can I put an 8 bay with a 4 bay on the same mast pointing at the two locations? I really don't want to use a rotator because I am thinking of using a PVR with the OTAs at some point. Thanks, in advance, for the help.
HannahWCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 2:45 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

For the four stations specified, go with the 4-bay antenna vs the 8-bay. You should be able to aim it at the stations at 138 and receive the ones from 170 without problem, provided multi-math doesn't rear its head.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 4:18 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Ditto ADTech's response.

If you are still shopping for PVR technology, there are a variety of options. The stand alone CM-7000PAL is one option. Silicondust HDHomeRun is another, especially if you already own a PC capable of HD video playback. These and other options can be used with multiple fixed aim antennas if you choose. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 5:38 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
For the four stations specified, go with the 4-bay antenna. You should be able to aim it at the stations at 138 and receive the ones from 170 without problem.
Agreed. Aim the 4 bay at about 150°.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 7:05 PM   #5
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

Also can aim the 4 bay at about 215 degree magnetic compass to receive the stations 174 to 270 degree magnetic compass. Next subject --> for recording , some of these also have Hard Drive or DVD recording. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=380

Last edited by John Candle; 24-May-2011 at 8:21 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2011, 7:32 PM   #6
HannahWCU

So a 4-bay will be fine? I thought I might have alot of trouble getting the Stations that are 45 miles away. That is why I was looking at the 8-bay. Do you think I will need an amplifier? Looking at the info on here, it states that those stations are "2Edge: Double edge diffraction". I might be able to get that to a 1Edge with antenna height. My house is on a sloped property - 1story in the front, 2 story in the back. So it is hard to judge what height I should use for the calculations. The distant stations are off the back of the house at about a 45` angle. I do have alot of tall trees around too. No tall buildings and no tall trees in the direction of the distant stations.

I appreciate the feedback. I am looking to do this mid June. I am the type of person that does ALOT of research before pulling the trigger.
Old 24-May-2011, 7:32 PM   #7
John Candle

Combining 2 UHF antennas pointed in different directions on to one down lead does not work well , the antennas reception cross talk cause reception problems. You can bring a separate coax from each antenna to the location of the Tv and use a remote control A-B antenna switch such as a A-B 27RS from MCM electronics or radio shack model # 15-1968 .

Last edited by John Candle; 24-May-2011 at 7:47 PM.
Old 24-May-2011, 7:40 PM   #8
John Candle

The stations at your location are strong. So a 4 bay should work. The other reason we are suggesting using 4 bays is - Beam Width. Beam width is the degree of a angle ( to the right or left side ) from the center of the reception at the front of the antenna that the reception will be reduced to half power strength. . 4 bays have a wider beam width and 8 bays have a narrower beam width. The stations you will like to receive are at wide spacing of angles / beam width.

Last edited by John Candle; 24-May-2011 at 7:49 PM.
Old 24-May-2011, 7:46 PM   #9
HannahWCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Ditto ADTech's response.

If you are still shopping for PVR technology, there are a variety of options. The stand alone CM-7000PAL is one option. Silicondust HDHomeRun is another, especially if you already own a PC capable of HD video playback. These and other options can be used with multiple fixed aim antennas if you choose. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820
My first step was to figure out if I can get the stations and the quality of the signal. But on the PVR side, I was thinking of buying a TV Turner card for one of my existing PC's. Then I was hoping to be able to save the recording automatically to a networked Media Center Drive (which I already have). Then stream the recording through my PS3 to the TV (I can currently stream ripped movies that I own and other videos and music from this drive to my PS3). But I really have not found if this is possible or not.
Old 24-May-2011, 7:47 PM   #10
HannahWCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
The stations at your location are strong. So a 4 bay should work. The other reason we are suggesting using 4 bays is - Beam Width. Beam width is the degree of a angle from the center of the reception at the front of the antenna that the reception will be reduced to half power strength. . 4 bays have a wider beam width and 8 bays have a narrower beam width. The stations you will like to receive are at wide spacing of angles / beam width.

That is good to know. Thanks!!
Old 24-May-2011, 7:59 PM   #11
John Candle

As is true of About 98 % of outdoor reception situations , the higher the antenna the better. Outdoor Tv antennas like elbow room and a clear view of the transmitting antennas. Most of the stations are LOS = Line of Sight and the one and two edge in the yellow should be strong enough to be received with a 4 bay connected to one Tv maybe even two Tv's. . How many Tv's will be connected??
Old 24-May-2011, 8:31 PM   #12
John Candle

W20DD-D 20 is Fox and the http://www.metvnetwork.com. W42DR-D 42 is ABC and a Independent. W41DL-D 41 is PBS. WHDW-LP 48 is religion.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Jun-2011 at 6:03 AM.
Old 24-May-2011, 8:32 PM   #13
HannahWCU

Quote:
As is true of About 98 % of outdoor reception situations , the higher the antenna the better. Outdoor Tv antennas like elbow room and a clear view of the transmitting antennas. Most of the stations are LOS = Line of Sight and the one and two edge in the yellow should be strong enough to be received with a 4 bay connected to one Tv maybe even two Tv's. . How many Tv's will be connected??
Initially, I will be hooking it up to a Dish Network VIP622 (which has an OTA tuner in it). In the future I will hook it directly to my 50" Panasonic and then (hopefully) to a tv tuner in a PC to have PVR functionality. So, two will be the maximum.

I actually have tried to post a message about my plans for my PVR plans, but I think it needs a moderators approval since I put a link in it.
Old 24-May-2011, 8:42 PM   #14
HannahWCU

Quote:
W20DD-D 20 is Fox and the M.E. Tv network Memorable Entertainment Network. W42DR-D 42 is ABC and a Independent. W41DL-D 41 is PBS. WHDW-LP 48 is religion.
Since I am new to the OTA stuff, what are all these stations? I am only really aware of the following:

WHKY - 40 - IND
WBTV - 23 - CBS
WCNC - 22 - NBC
WJZY - 47 - CW
WTVI - 14 - PBS
WUNE - 17 - PBS
WUNG - 44 - PBS
WCCB - 18 - FOX
WSOC - 34 - ABC
WAXN - 36 - IND

What are all the other channels? Specifically, the ones you mention. I have never heard of them. I assume they are repeaters or something?
Old 24-May-2011, 8:49 PM   #15
John Candle

Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . Here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by John Candle; 24-May-2011 at 8:52 PM.
Old 24-May-2011, 9:01 PM   #16
HannahWCU

Quote:
Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . Here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
I understand the difference between Real and Virtual channels. That is how I know I can get all the channels I need with a UHF Antenna. Even though WBTV is on "channel 3". After doing some more research, I realize that lost of these "other" channels are actually translators for the main stations. I am assuming a translator is a repeater for the station, rebroadcasting what the main station is broadcasting. I am also assuming it is being rebroadcast on a different channel. Or am I assuming wrong?
Old 24-May-2011, 9:07 PM   #17
John Candle

How many Tv's will be connected??
Old 24-May-2011, 9:08 PM   #18
HannahWCU

Quote:
How many Tv's will be connected??
Sorry, that was in the post that hasn't been approved. Initially 1, Max 2 at this point.
Old 24-May-2011, 9:16 PM   #19
John Candle

The repeaters/translators and low power stations can sometimes make it possible to receive the channels one will like to receive with one Tv antenna.
Old 24-May-2011, 9:37 PM   #20
John Candle

I did a little googling of Tv stations and put there for you to see. Example: ME Tv - http://metvnetwork.com , I will not google all of the Tv stations call signs and find out whats is on , you will need to do that for your self. Digital Tv stations can transmit more then one tv channel , they are known as sub channels. Usulay up to 4 Tv sub channels , however 6 and even 8 Tv sub channels can be transmitted , also audio only and data only channels can be transmitted.