TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Apr-2015, 8:11 PM   #1
sly1963

Best Indoor Antenna for Downtown Toronto

Hi,

I am really new to this and would like some advice.

My Tv Fool report shows this:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f09d055a973a

I live on the second floor of a house and my bedroom looks toward the cn tower. I don't have the option of installing an antenna on the roof but would like to be able to pick up as many stations as I can.

I have an older rca antenna with a loop and rabbit ears. I has an knob to adjust the signal strength and most days I get 11 stations with pretty good reception depending on the weather.

Ive been reading the reviews on different antennas but find it a bit confusing on what to look for.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Yesterday I was having trouble getting a local station in and did a rescan to try and improve the signal. I do a add on scan as to not lose any channels and got 4 new ones in.

I am considering a digiwave 5013 antenna as it says its good for 140 km but would it make any difference? Would an antenna with a stonger signal boost be better and if there is such a thing available.

Regards
Sue

Last edited by sly1963; 4-Apr-2015 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Update
sly1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Apr-2015, 4:50 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Indoor reception is often less reliable due to signal attenuation as the signal passes through building materials. Also, electronic noise / interference is often greater inside a building due to the variety of electrically powered devices and equipment that are in the building near the antenna.

I would resist the temptation to use an amplified antenna in your application. Amplifiers simply can not amplify a signal if the antenna doesn't receive it to begin with. Amplifiers are only going to help overcome losses in cable and splitters connected to the output side of the amplifier. In an application where there is less than 50' of cable between the antenna and TV, there is no significant loss to overcome. In cases like yours; At best, the amplifier is a waste of money, but if overloaded, an amplifier can make the overall quality of the signals much worse due to noise / interference generated in the amplifier itself.

I'd try a semi directional antenna with a bit more passive gain than the rabbit-ear style antenna... Consider the Antennas Direct ClearStream 2 or DB2E. These antennas differ cosmetically more than functionally, Both are going to offer similar performance receiving real UHF channels (CH-14 through CH-51). If you find it difficult to locate a supplier, the Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF or Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB2X are examples of similar antenna designs. Most of these antennas are designed for outdoor installation, but the CS-2 is 'dressy' enough to pass as an indoor design.

Regardless of the antenna chosen, I would aim it by facing it toward the SW. I'd locate it so as to have a clear view through a window if possible.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Apr-2015 at 7:20 PM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Apr-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
sly1963

Smile Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you for the response to my post.

I really appreciate the information will be posting my results when I
decide to take the plunge and get the new antenna. The one I have now
is ok but the picture is often choppy.

I hope to be able to bring in PBS so I can once again watch Nova

Wish me luck
Old 7-Apr-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
eden

I have the Antennas Direct Clearstream C2V that GroundUrMast recommends. Even when I had it indoors it surprised me by pulling in stations in the yellow (requiring an attic antenna) and even in the pink on my TVFool report. If anything can get PBS for you from indoors it can.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Apr-2015, 3:08 PM   #5
Jake V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1963 View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for the response to my post.

I really appreciate the information will be posting my results when I
decide to take the plunge and get the new antenna. The one I have now
is ok but the picture is often choppy.

I hope to be able to bring in PBS so I can once again watch Nova

Wish me luck
GroundUrMast's advice to aim the antenna towards the southwest was for the Toronto stations. If you want to try for the PBS and other channels from Buffalo aim your antenna towards Buffalo (163 degrees on a compass). Hopefully you can position your antenna through the window to "see" Buffalo.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
sly1963

Thanks again

Thanks again for your responses.

With the signal turned up on my little RCA antenna. I was able to bring in
a few more channels even PBS. The reception is not that good and they only
come in when they feel like it. lol

I just got home with my new clearstream antenna and will be putting it together tomorrow. I am excited and will be posting my results right away.

Cheers
Sue
Old 11-Apr-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
eden

Good luck, Sue. If you bought a C2V I think you'll be happy with the results.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote