TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jun-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Vuvu

I'm I stuck with Cable?

So I just recently moved from an area where I had really good reception to a new to me home that appears to have terrible reception: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe45a5b44de9

So my question is, am I stuck with cable or satelite reception? When I've tried the indoor antennas my digital converter detects zero signal. I have a one story home and can probably put an antenna about 15-20' up, but would prefer not have something that can be seen from space on my roof. My place is about 1000' from a 200' hill.

I would appreciate any advice.
Vuvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

Based on the path profiles that link off the table in your report, your receive location may not have been in the right place. Rerun your report using the "start maps" option and be sure the receive location is in the right place. Post those results.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2010, 5:37 AM   #3
Vuvu

Thanks for responding Dave, though I'm not sure what that means. I just reran my profile: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbed85dd0e866

I'm not sure what you mean by my receive location.
Vuvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
kb2fzq

Dave is trying to get you to use the TVF maps to pinpoint exactly where the antenna is located, in your case this would be very important. If you have GPS function on a cell phone, that would work too to get exact coordinates....but...
Considering the TVF report you've posted, at 55 miles away, an indoor antenna is out of the question, a very high gain, large, multi-element outdoor antenna "might"...might get you some channels over the air....maybe....the report is not good...none of the transmitters appear to be in line of sight, maybe that hill you mentioned...the only thing you have going for you is that most of the stations at the top of the list are VHF-hi band stations, these may be an easier "get" for you then UHF....
I am curious what Dave's response will be to my synopsis...
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

100 %! By choosing "start maps" instead of "click here" to start, you will be presented with a Google map showing where the receive location is. Zoom in like you would on any Google map and move the pointer to exactly the right place. Adjust the antenna height as needed, then click the make radar plot button. Share that result with us.

Many times, addresses are not mapped to exactly the right place on earth. In someplace like the open Plains, that would not make much much difference. However, in your area, two city blocks might be the difference between the top of a hill and the bottom.

I suspected that your location used in the report did not match reality after looking at the path profile for one of the LA stations. Click on any station in the listing of your report and a profile of the path between transmitter and you pops up in a new window. In this case, it looked like you were sitting in a valley, not on top of a hill.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote