TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Oct-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
askolits

Will adding 10' to antenna hieght make a significant difference?

With my current antenna configuration, I am able to receive all the major network digital channels except CBS. This is the furthest away transmitter (70 miles). Currently, with the antenna located at 31’ above ground level, the TVFool analysis chart states NM of -4.2. I found that I can sometimes get CBS and sometimes not. It’s intermittent.

The question: Should I go through the effort of adding another 10 ft. to the antenna? Based on the TVFool analysis, it would lower the NM to -1.9.
Will it ensure a much better reception to CBS? This is more of a logistics issue for me than cost. Because of the height, I’ll have to add guide wires for stability and hope to put it up on my roof without killing myself.

My current info:
TVFR, 31' AGL: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2f8d9e371e
Antenna Type: Terrestrial Digital DB8 Multi-Directional 'Bowtie' UHF DTV Antenna
Amplifier: Winegard ANWI8700 AP Signal Amplifier (1 foot below antenna)
Antenna Rotor: Channel Master CM 9521A
Ground Elevation 801 FT
Current Antenna height: 31 feet above ground level

TVFR, 41' AGL: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae5e73b9a977

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 18-Oct-2013 at 6:20 PM. Reason: protecting OP's privacy
askolits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2013, 6:22 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

@askolits, I've taken the liberty of converting your coordinates into TVFR links. Partly to protect your privacy and partly for the convenience of others.

Would the extra 10' clear nearby trees?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2013, 6:47 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

WUSA-9? You need a high-VHF antenna added to the DB8. I'm surprised you even get a whiff of it with a DB8.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2013, 3:24 AM   #4
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

Install a Antenna Craft Y10713 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna.

Aim the antenna at about 105 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antenna , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Combine the UHF channels 14 thru 51 , DB8 antenna and the VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna with a , EU385CF-1s , VHF/UHF diplexer combiner.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.antennacraft.net
Old 19-Oct-2013, 3:30 PM   #5
No static at all

The Y10-7-13 is a perfect antenna for your situation.

If in your shoes, I would also replace the 8700 pre-amp with a dual input RCA unit. This amp will alllow you to join the 2 antennas most efficiently. It will also help address possible interference concerns with FM 96.3 from Big Mountain. You also have a channel 10 closeby that may cause problems with the less tolerant 8700 preamp.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
askolits

@GroundUrMast: Thanks for modifying my post as needed.

"Would the extra 10' clear nearby trees? "
I'll have to check later today. But I do believe that there are trees blocking the signal and the extra 10 feet will not clear the trees.
I'll let you know.

@Adteck and @teleview. I didn't even realize I would need 2 different antennas. Just figured the digital transmissions were all in the same band.

@No static at all Gee, it's a bummer that I bought the other amp. No idea I'd needed two antennas. Thanks for the info.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes. I wish I consulted you all before I went out and bought everything. It seems to me the issue was not having the 2nd antenna for the VHF channel. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 22-Oct-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
askolits

@Teleview I'm researching the combiners and the one you recommend doesn't seam to be an amp. So can I use your recommended combiner first, then plug it into the amp? It seems the specs for the amp I have state: Gain: "VHF 29 DB, uhf 19 DB". So I'm guessing it handles both bands with the single input. Some amps seem to have a separate input for both, like the one recommended by 'NoStaticAtAll'. The specs on that one are: "Gain: VHF: 16 dB; UHF: 22 dB, Separate or combined inputs for UHF/VHF Separate amplification for UHF & VHF bands to improve performance"