TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2015, 3:34 AM   #1
DOhanian

Smile Hopeful in Lakeport NH

I have lived for a year with no live TV, but I just missed that Patriot's game. I have a smart TV so have netflx. I want to pull in 1 station - WMUR ch. 9. I'm on the second floor. I can put a smaller antenna inside my attic & still be 34-36' off ground. Its just me- no crew of construction antenna installers, so can anyone tell me what to buy? Does a signal bounce off nearby Gunstock ski area? http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15725f17f6b8 I refuse to get sucked into cable or dish again.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Jan-2015 at 5:07 PM. Reason: repaired TVFR link
DOhanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2015, 1:34 PM   #2
Tim

Channel 9 is weak at your location. It will be tough to pull in from your attic. My thought is an Antennacraft Y10713 would be your best option but it is 10 ft long. Some of the experts on the forum will weigh in with their advice.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2015, 5:07 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

It looks as if you're blocked by terrain... I share Tim's concern about an attic mounted system. The low signal levels shown in your report strongly suggest mounting outdoors, clear of all nearby obstructions and for using a deep fringe combination such as an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713.

If there is no high powered FM signals close to you, the Antennas Direct PA-18 is a remarkable deep fringe preamp. Another option is the RCA TVPRAMP1R, it's much more tolerant of stronger signals though it will not have the outstanding noise performance that the PA-18 offers. The PA-18 would require a separate UVSJ to combine the UHF and VHF antennas ahead of the preamp input.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Jan-2015 at 6:09 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2015, 2:15 AM   #4
DOhanian

Thanks for the input. I will research those suggestions tomorrow.Putting a 10' antenna on my roof is not something I can do myself. I know the WMUR channel I want is South of me with a hill directly behind me. There is a Ski area about 6 miles East of me. Gunstock mtn. Do signals ever bounce off mtns? Or is there anything the mtn can do to harness the signals & get it to us locals?
Old 22-Jan-2015, 4:27 PM   #5
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOhanian View Post
Thanks for the input. I will research those suggestions tomorrow.Putting a 10' antenna on my roof is not something I can do myself. I know the WMUR channel I want is South of me with a hill directly behind me. There is a Ski area about 6 miles East of me. Gunstock mtn. Do signals ever bounce off mtns? Or is there anything the mtn can do to harness the signals & get it to us locals?
You would just have to point an antenna at the mountain and see but I think the probabilities are low. The signal is already being diffracted a couple of times before it reaches you area.
Old 22-Jan-2015, 6:38 PM   #6
timgr

I would encourage you to try the Y10713, but it's really unlikely you will be able to receive WMUR unless the antenna is mounted high in clear air, unobstructed by trees and buildings.

I get WMUR very reliably in Medford. On my plot it's 2-edge at 16.1 dB NM, 45 miles away. However, I also reliably get WENH 11 at -10.4 dB NM, 51 miles away, which should be impossible. I'm pointing right at WENH, and WMUR is 27 degrees off-axis.

The Y10713 isn't very expensive... give it a try. Get some help, rig it high on the roof, and see if you get anything. Then if WMUR is strong, you could try moving it to the attic.

Last edited by timgr; 22-Jan-2015 at 6:43 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2015, 2:59 AM   #7
DOhanian

I also have a cedar shake roof from mid 1800s that additionally has OSB on it & 2 layers of shingles. So yes I will need help figuring this out. My roof is 12 pitch, but way too heavy already.
Old 23-Jan-2015, 3:22 PM   #8
Tim

A TV antenna, mast and tripod mount are not very heavy at all. There are alternatives to using a mount on the roof such as wall mounts, eave mounts, etc.
Old 23-Jan-2015, 4:59 PM   #9
DOhanian

OK, I have printed out all the product suggestions here from Amazon.com so I can look at it all. Would this antenna go on the NorthWest side of my house, or the SouthEast side? Or just away from the 1 tree that my neighbor has on the NE side?
Old 23-Jan-2015, 6:59 PM   #10
timgr

The antennas have a direction, and you aim them with a compass in the direction of the station(s) you want. Position the antenna so that it does not point through a tree. Just like aiming a gun - pick the location where you don't aim through the tree. Then pick the location where any trees or buildings in the distance are furthest away. You want clear air to the horizon in the direction of aim, if you can manage it.

Yu can go here - http://www.antennapartsoutlet.com/ - and browse through the various ways of mounting antennas. Telescoping masts, tripods, eave brackets, wall brackets, chimney brackets, etc. Let your building configuration and orientation dictate which type of mount you use.

If you are interested in the Y10713, I suggest you buy from Radio Shack. The Antennacraft site has a button direct to there - http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasVHF.html They also have their data sheet, which you should read.

I bought my Y10713 from Radio Shack, and my DB8e through Amazon. The DB8e data sheet is on the Antennas Direct site - https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html

Last edited by timgr; 23-Jan-2015 at 7:04 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2015, 7:00 PM   #11
rickbb

Mount it where it will not be blocked by trees or houses when you point it in the direction you need to get the most stations.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote