Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Apr-2011, 3:11 PM   #1
Joe2011

Reviewing 2 city solutions ... Balt & DC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TV Fool Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17ddb4fdb1fc

Wow ... Thanks everyone. Predictably - when I saw this Forum I said "Damn, I wish I'd seen this before I dove into this overhaul project". I've glanced at the Winegard HD 7694 on-line from your suggestions in the 12 April replys and will research the Antennacraft, Channelmaster, HBU-22 options as well. I don't know that I need to pick up DC stations as; the networks offer primarily the same content other then local news. I also see now that the Baltimore channels 11 & 13 are VHF while the other channels 45, 54 & 2 are UHF.

You guys say, scrap the LAVA - "piece of @#!%$" antenna even though it has the rotor? Winegard offers a Winegard MS2000 Metrostar Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna that appears to address the two transmission source challenge, with out needing a rotor and picks up VHF/UHF; ... or are the antenna choices mentioned above and in the original post, more appropriate or suited to the closer & smaller directional range 4 degree heading "slice" when pointing toward the Baltimore transmission sources, that I should just eliminate multi-direction or the rotor altogether?

I assume the big fat BWI International airport directly between my location and the Baltimore transmission source is just something I have to live with and no amount of "additional quality" in the antenna components will solve ghosting during peak activity times at the runways?

Further, if I understand your collective comments correctly, the Baltimore transmission sources are close enough that I don't need a pre-amp ? ... because the amplified signal is amplifying the "noise" from the airport and the signal is already strong enough for those primary channels I want if dialed in that direction? Please comment.
Thanks again ...
Joe
Joe2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 2:17 AM   #2
No static at all

The stations from Baltimore should do well with a good outdoor antenna. The only questionable one I see is WUTB-24. MPT is on an adjacent channel & very strong.

The proximity to BWI shouldn't be an issue with a good directional antenna like the Winegard 7694. An omni antenna would likely suffer from dropouts with signals bouncing off nearby aircraft.

I'm 40 miles out from Baltimore & only see an occasional glitch on 11 & 13. (UHF is unaffected) Planes from National Airport fly right in front of where the antenna is pointed.(About 2 miles out)
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 1:08 PM   #3
Joe2011

OK - a fixed directional antenna oriented toward the towers in Baltimore. How about adding two more analoge TV's - one in MB - about an 80 foot run & one on the back porch - about a 50 foot run? Advice? A/B switch?
... and given the perameters - an amplifier? Thanks in advance
TV Fool Report-
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17ddb4fdb1fc
Joe2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 2:59 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2011 View Post

You guys say, scrap the LAVA - "piece of @#!%$" antenna even though it has the rotor?
In your location the high signal strength of WMPT precludes the use of a preamp. You can't remove the preamp in the LAVA, so sell the LAVA to someone who lives further from the TV stations or live with the fact that some stations won't be seen.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote