TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Dec-2012, 7:46 PM   #1
raymodj

Minneapolis: would like indoor antenna at TV

First, here's my TV Fool analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49247de4a335

We just remodeled our attic, so I had to remove the Clearstream 1 from the attic window. At about 35 feet high and generally pointed at the 2 important towers (24 and 29 degrees in TV Fool) it pulled in all the channels we wanted. 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 and 29. Didn't have to adjust very much.

I tried this antenna at the TV and could get all the channels, but never all at the same time no matter how much I adjusted the antenna. I recently bought another TV Tuner and it came with a cheap single pole magnet based antenna (like on older cars) and it pulls in all the channels except 9! In another spot it pulled in 9 and not much else. That surprised me.

The TV is on a middle wall, so no windows close enough. So the signal goes through a middle wall, but then there is a big window on the outside wall in the general direction of the tower. Stucco house. My neighborhood is mostly single family houses with lots of tall trees. Channels 9 and 11 actually broadcast on 9 and 11, so need high-VHF and UHF. Do I just need a directional like the Terk HDTV i? Any thoughts on the best indoor directional? Or how about the Winegard SS-3000? Not sure if I'd really have signal bounce, and I don't need the amplifier.

Any suggestions appreciated, except maybe 'put an antenna on the roof near that attic window, fool!'. I will if it comes to that. Like others who want indoor antennas, it's a wife thing. She managed to get rid of all the wires running to and on our house except the power line. And she'd get rid of that too if she could.
raymodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2012, 9:51 PM   #2
teleview

Above the roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked by the roof or house in the directions of , north west , north , north east , install a ANT751 antenna aimed at about 350 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim direction can be adjusted to provide the best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's have a signal quality meter.

The ANT751 comes with a J type antenna mount and is not much money at , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

No preamplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a common simple 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a common simple 4 way splitter.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Digital Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own house.

It is best to install the ANT751 antenna at a location and height that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Broadcast Tv channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with a simple channel scan.

Do a Double channel scan.

http://www.fcc.gov/rescan.html.

_____

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Dec-2012 at 6:28 AM.
Old 22-Dec-2012, 5:36 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

If you have to try an indoor solution, the Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa) may work. But as you've already demonstrated, indoor antennas are at a disadvantage due to the interference generated by electronics and motors, together with the signal attenuation and reflections caused by building materials.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Dec-2012, 6:02 AM   #4
raymodj

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid of that. Based on what I've tried, I have a feeling that the HDTVi won't pull in all the stations.

I made a 4 bay bow tie that does pretty well near a second floor north facing window. It's just extra space since our daughter moved out, so I might try to mount the ANT751 in there. It's above our neighbor's houses. There are several HUGE elm trees a block or two away right between the antenna and the towers, but I couldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole... errr... mast.
raymodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Dec-2012, 5:30 PM   #5
teleview

Huge Elm trees.

A good reason to get the antenna up high.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Dec-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 25-Dec-2012, 1:12 PM   #6
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymodj View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was afraid of that. Based on what I've tried, I have a feeling that the HDTVi won't pull in all the stations.

I made a 4 bay bow tie that does pretty well near a second floor north facing window. It's just extra space since our daughter moved out, so I might try to mount the ANT751 in there. It's above our neighbor's houses. There are several HUGE elm trees a block or two away right between the antenna and the towers, but I couldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole... errr... mast.

Well, nobody can say that you didn't try.
Good luck!
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote