TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Mar-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
[derek]

Help with OTA - Middletown, CT

Howdy folks,

So I recently cut the satellite bill and dropped DirecTV and switched over to antennas.

A friend of mine gave me his old VHF and UHF (Yagi I believe) antennas. I do not have model numbers on the antennas.

I currently have them mounted on my roof and they sit about 25-30 feet off the ground.

I have the UHF running into a ChannelMaster preamp, and that is connected, along with the VHF, into a ChannelMaster preamp. I believe the model is a 7777.

I am currently receiving WTNH, WTIC and the local NBC affiliate.

My question is, would a ClearStream4 be a better bet for UHF? Is there a great all around VHF antenna I should purchase to replace the existing VHF antenna. Another question would be, should I run two UHF antennas pointing in different directions? I assume I would need another preamp as well for this would work.

Also, would it make more sense to try and pickup Massachusetts stations rather then some of the Hartford stations?

Here is my tvfool link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86ae7a34ac3c

Any suggestions would be great (it's currently WW3 in the house over the loss of Satellite).

Thanks!

- Derek
[derek] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 2:28 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Here are pictures of antennas and how to point antennas. What are the antennas in the pictures that look closest to your antennas?? http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Also how many tv's are/will be connected?? The Americans that are born and raised here in the USA are an interesting bunch. What the Americans do if WW3 does happen and the electricity goes off , no more tv , no more washing machines , no more heat , no more air conditioning , no more toasters , Most Americans are currently dangerously out of touch with reality.

Last edited by Electron; 13-Mar-2012 at 9:38 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 3:03 AM   #3
[derek]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Here are pictures of antennas and how to point antennas. What are the antennas in the pictures that look closest to your antennas?? Also how many tv's are/will be connected??
Hmmm, no pictures attached. Three televisions are currently attached.

Quote:
The Americans that are born and raised here in the USA are an interesting bunch. What the Americans do if WW3 does happen and the electricity goes off , no more tv , no more washing machines , no more heat , no more air conditioning , no more toasters , Most Americans are currently dangerously out of touch with reality.
It was a humorous metaphor for the fallout I am incurring from the wife and children due to canceling DirecTV. On a side note, I'm am reasonably prepared for actual disaster and fairly in touch with the grim realities of modern life

Thanks for replying, I do appreciate it.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 3:18 AM   #4
Electron

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 13-Mar-2012, 3:24 AM   #5
[derek]

Ok, my UHF antenna looks like the "A Yagi Backed With a Corner Reflector". The VHF antenna looks like "FM or Single Channel VHF Yagi".
Old 13-Mar-2012, 5:31 AM   #6
Electron

I have a question , are the antennas broken up missing elements. If the answer is they are Ok , then continue , if the antennas are not good then stop now and we will do something else , like do it with all new. Ok you can try this with the antennas and preamp that you have , aim both antennas at about 13 degree magnetic compass. Install the UHF antenna above the VHF antenna about 3 feet separation. Or install on separate masts at least 3 feet apart. The digital tv stations/channels listed for the Current Plus Pending Applications Included , in the green and yellow reception zones , the groups of tv stations to the , north , north west and north east should be received. If so. Then I also recommend remove the reflectors from the UHF antenna so the UHF antenna can better receive the UHF stations/channels to the south west and south east. For this test I recommend connecting one tv only. What is the reception now , how many channels are received , there should be 15 or more digital main channels digital sub channels combined. How far down the list of the tvfool radar report for Current Plus Pending Applications Included list are being received??
Old 13-Mar-2012, 5:37 AM   #7
Electron

The Tv Must Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes in the tv menu called the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' because the tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna. DO NOT scan for cable tv channels.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 5:46 AM   #8
Electron

Only One Coax from the preamp to the preamp power supply and then to the tv. NO splitters. For the test.