TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jul-2012, 8:44 PM   #1
KeithDiehl

OTA help in Aliso Viejo, 50 mi, hill

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900f4f7281ed0

My home backs to a considerable hill that is directly between the towers and I. I just hooked up my winegard hd7694p to my samsung pn50c550 via 60' of formerly directv cable. The antenna is on the roof about 25' off the ground and pointed to 323. It registers only 2 channels and both extremely fuzzy. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Amplifier? New cable? New antenna? New home? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
Keith
KeithDiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2012, 9:04 PM   #2
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

You have a good antenna and DTV set and the hill is not a deal breaker. I am not sure what you describe as "fuzzy". Bad DTV reception is not fuzzy, it drops out.

If your set is clear but drops out, check or replace everything in between. Be sure that there are no splitters from the satellite system left in place.
A good way check everything is to hook up a known good coax from the antenna directly to the set and scan for channels.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2012, 9:13 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

That you're seeing only 'fuzzy' channels makes me ask, are you scanning for 'air' or 'antenna' rather than 'cable' or 'CATV' channels?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2012, 9:25 PM   #4
KeithDiehl

RG-6 cabling with no splits confirmed.

I was scanning for air/antenna as opposed to cable. I set the auto program to "auto" which should include both but still get only the following fuzzy/static spanish language stations:
Air: 3, 6, 12, 21, 27, 45, 57
Cable: 3, 6, 79 almost pure static

I hope it is something simple about what I'm doing or the TV set-up. That'd be great.
Old 19-Jul-2012, 9:55 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

This version of the manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...580A-05Eng.pdf leads me to believe you should intentionally select "AIR" rather than "AUTO".

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 19-Jul-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
KeithDiehl

Thanks to everyone for the support so far. I now have hope and that feels nice!

I re-ran the channel programming with "air" only (as I had previously). This time, it did find 3 DTV signals:
10-1 KGTV-DT
10-2 COOL-TV
10-15 KZSD-TV.

These three stations came in clearly with 10-1 KGTV-DT being the best.

Any thoughts on what this means relative to the rest of the stations that I "should" be getting?
Old 19-Jul-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
teleview

Tv Reception.

Aim the HD7694P antenna at about 335 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

How many Tv's are/will be connected??

For now have only the one Tv connected.

The coax that is being used to get the signal from the antenna to the Tv can not have any of the satellite Tv or cable Tv hardware , diplexers , splitters , ect. connected.

Just the coax only to get the signal from the antenna to the Tv.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Some Tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels if the automatic mode is selected.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Jul-2012 at 7:56 PM.
Old 19-Jul-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
teleview

Tv Reception.

Check the antenna , see if the antenna matching transformer (balun) is making the connection to the antenna wires inside the plastic housing.

A way to test reception is to bypass all coax.

Install a Known to be good looong coax connected directly to the antenna and run the coax through a open window or open door directly to the Tv.

Here are some above roof top antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegard.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Also install a Winegard AP8700 preamp.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2012 at 3:04 PM.
Old 19-Jul-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

1) As Teleview is suggesting, verify your understanding of which end of the antenna is the front. As I drive around, It's quite common to see antennas pointing 90° & 180° away from the TV towers.

2) Double check that all satellite system components have been removed. As Teleview suggests, a new factory made cable can bypass all of the old cable and hidden satellite system components.

3) A bad connection anywhere in the system, including the antenna is next on the list of suspicions.

4) Lastly (for the moment), I agree that a preamp is indicated. In addition to the AP8700, I'd suggest either the Antennas Direct CPA-19, or PA-18. But the symptoms you describe make me think there is other trouble that needs to be resolved. An amplifier may mask an less obvious defect.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Jul-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Amplifiers are not cure alls
Old 19-Jul-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
teleview

Tv Reception.

I am still recommending , examen the hardware Very closely , that matching transformer housing has connections on the inside and al so the coax connections. And also replace the coax.

You can also consider that the Tv/Tv tuner is bad.

Connecting a different Tv is Ok.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2012 at 3:02 PM.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 6:09 PM   #11
KeithDiehl

Team,
I extended my cable run to the single TV and mounted the antenna as high as possible. I am now able to pick up (amongst others) the top three stations in the report: KABC, KTTV, and KCOP. I think the hill/trees/etc are a significant factor. I'll be trying out an amplifier today and hope to extend more deeply into the list. I will report my results.

Thanks for all the help!

Keith
Old 23-Jul-2012, 7:54 PM   #12
teleview

Tv Reception.

What is the antenna you are using now??
Old 23-Jul-2012, 7:55 PM   #13
KeithDiehl

The winegard hd7694p.
Old 23-Jul-2012, 8:00 PM   #14
teleview

Tv Reception.

Ok just checking.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 6:15 AM   #15
BikingBrian

I'm in Orange and lucky to have a clear line of sight to Mount Wilson. Though I have a friend in RSM with a similar situation as yours, and he was able to get all the major channels. I used to work in Aliso Viejo and I know what kind of hills you're dealing with. If you have any vertical tilt adjustment to your antenna, you may want to point it at the top of the hill and see if that helps. Good luck.
BikingBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2012, 2:52 PM   #16
KeithDiehl

Brian,
Thanks for the advice. I agree that my next step is to fine tune the aim including vertical adjustments.

Team,
I added a radioshack signal amplifier and it had absolutely no affect. I am still receiving only the top 4 DTV stations in my tvfool report. Might a different amplifier be better? I will be working on the antenna aim and see if I can make any improvements.

Any other advice?

Best,
Keith
Old 24-Jul-2012, 2:56 PM   #17
Billiam

The 7694p is for strong signal areas. You are in a fair to weak signal area. You need a larger antenna like the 7696p or a Antennacraft HBU33 or 44. That in combination with a pre amp will give you several stations to watch. Certainly more than the top 4 on your list.

If K39by is important then you will need a VHF Lo antenna was well. That being the case something like the 7082p from Winegard or the HD850 from Antennacraft would work pretty well there.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2012, 3:18 PM   #18
teleview

Tv Reception.

I recommend move up to a Much more powerful antenna for reception at your location Winegard HD7084P antenna.

And the Winegard AP8700 preamp.

But even so , more Tv stations/channels should be received then the top 4 with the HD7696P.

Have another look at that matching transformer antenna connections on the inside of the plastic housing.

Also have a new coax go directly from the antenna to the Tv.

And yes , the Tv/tuner can be bad.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 3:34 PM   #19
KeithDiehl

Thanks Bill. I'll play with the 7694 a little more but will likely trade up soon. Winegard recommended the 7697 or 7698.

Fun!
Old 24-Jul-2012, 3:48 PM   #20
signals unlimited

As we have been suggesting, you must determine if your poor reception is a problem in your system or antenna size/gain.

If you run a new coax (out a window or door) from the antenna to the set we will know what changes are needed in your system.

If you need an antenna change go with the @teleview 7084 antenna and 8700
pre-amplifier, add a Channel Master 9215 rotor and you will add another group of channels at 130 degrees.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote