TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Sep-2010, 4:18 PM   #21
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2fzq View Post
Because it's like trying to eat a bowl of tomato soup with a fork, you can do it, but it's not very efficient....
Actually, it's worse than that. Due to the cliff effect with DTV it would be like wiping the fork clean before you got to lick it.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2010, 8:18 AM   #22
kb2fzq

Yes, I would have to agree....
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2010, 11:50 PM   #23
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
AntennasDirect has touted that their UHF antennas like the C4 and C2 do VHF, but in actual fact, they MIGHT get a VHF signal if it's close enough, but the VHF range of those antennas in no way equals their UHF range, and anyone trying to use one as a VHF antenna in a fringe area is going to be mightily disappointed.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2010, 5:56 PM   #24
John Candle

Aesthetics -AKA- Anesthetics

To Sleep , Removed from Reality. Aesthetics is a code word. Definition: To beat on other people. For your own good '-wink-wink-' we are imposing our Aesthetics on you.

Last edited by John Candle; 27-Sep-2010 at 5:57 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
kb2fzq

Personally, I find my array quite beautiful, the mast rising into the sky, shining confidently as the sun reflects off of their finely tuned elements, doing what no other device can do, magically transfering information from great distances, drama, comedy, news....to my little hole in the side of the world, always ready...always monitoring...I often stand in my yard, marveling at their magnificants...
Anesthetics?...I'm sure many of us (you inclusive, John) will agree, the view of them does just the opposite...
Old 27-Sep-2010, 6:25 PM   #26
John Candle

Tv Antennas

Tv Antennas and other Antennas are My Friends. Like you , I have a deep under standing of Television and Radio and what it all means.

Last edited by mtownsend; 22-Oct-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Edited for content
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
fonzie888

Well, I've decided (with everyone's help) on Winegard HD7694P (eventhough I was offered free antenna.) Ordered it from Tigerdirect (54.00) and I ordered all the cables and hardware from Denny's antenna service (I like his products). Total bill about $145.00 for all items - good value. Did not order an amp because I do have a small RCA 10db amp available to me (for free) if I need it. I'm going to mount it on a 5 foot mast at the gable, which is about 15 feet high. I plan on grounding the mast to 8 foot ground rod and connecting it to a grounding block. I'm not sure If I need to ground it to pipes in house too? I'm also going to run cat 6 ethernet cable to the panasonic viera so that I can take advantage of the services it has to offer. This is all going to just one TV.
fonzie888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2010, 1:08 PM   #28
fonzie888

Tigerbangs, you hit the nail on the head without using a poetic license.

"AntennasDirect has touted that their UHF antennas like the C4 and C2 do VHF, but in actual fact, they MIGHT get a VHF signal if it's close enough, but the VHF range of those antennas in no way equals their UHF range, and anyone trying to use one as a VHF antenna in a fringe area is going to be mightily disappointed."
Old 28-Sep-2010, 1:27 PM   #29
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

The HD-7694p is an excellent choice: i expect that you'll see both Providence and Boston using that antenna with no trouble at all. When installing the antenna, grab a compass and be sure to aim that antenna at 335-340 degrees. That heading is right in the middle of the spread of the Providence and Boston channels, and should allow you to see both cities.
Old 29-Sep-2010, 12:06 AM   #30
fonzie888

Will do, Tigerbangs, and thanks for the azimouth advice. I have an engineer's compass; does a good job.

Last edited by fonzie888; 29-Sep-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 18-Oct-2010, 1:39 PM   #31
fonzie888

It's up and working

Well, folks, the deed is done. I had to make mounting blocks because the plumb was a nightmare - I used oak and it's now solid.

After about nine hours worth of work and prep (over a period of two weeks) the antenna is brining in 32 channels - 30 of them at 81% - 95%and two of them at 45%. The two channels are RI PBS. Any ideas how to fix them (maybe move the antenna slightly?) I have the antenna pointing 335-340. I am about 2.5 feet above the gable line (about 15 feet).

Thanks to all of those folks who gave me advice.

Last edited by fonzie888; 19-Oct-2010 at 6:58 PM. Reason: My signal meter is indicating better
Old 18-Oct-2010, 2:01 PM   #32
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

The issue is that, while WSBE is closer to you than the Boston signals, it is MUCH weaker than just about all of them, and your antenna is aimed at Boston. Question for you: can you see WHDH, the Boston NBC station clearly with your antenna aimed where it is? If you can, WSBE is really an aiming issue. While I am sure that WSBE will improve if you move the antenna towards the Providence transmitters, you will lose the some of the Boston stations if you do so. Since you have 2 very good PBS stations in Boston that you should be able to get quite well (WGBH and WGBX) how badly do you really need and want WSBE? Installing a rotator on the antenna system would likely solve your problem, albeit at some cost and an additional trip back up to the roof. Please let us know what you decide to do...
Old 18-Oct-2010, 5:57 PM   #33
fonzie888

Thanks, Tigerbangs. WHDH Boston comes in crystal clear. The Boston PBS station are excellent, no doubt. I just wanted to see if I could maximize channels. What do you think about adding on a small antenna instead of a rotor to catch those pesky channels? Just a scenario.
Old 18-Oct-2010, 8:12 PM   #34
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Another antenna is likely to screw up what you already have: I believe that a rotator would cost only a little more than another antenna, and would work a whole lot better. You might also consider using a high-input preamp like a Winegard HDP-269, which MIGHT give you the little extra signal that you need to get WSBE reliably, but a rotator is likely to do it better...
Old 19-Oct-2010, 6:55 PM   #35
fonzie888

Unhappy Decisions

Hmm... decisions. I guess I'll have to weigh out the need vs. want as well as the time and $$ factor. I better decide soon before the bitter wind starts up, and we know how that helps the situation . I'll let you know what I decide.
Old 20-Oct-2010, 1:08 PM   #36
fonzie888

Well, I added the free indoor 10dbi amp (RCA) and it boosted the signal to 52%. It also boosted some of the locals to 95-100%. RI PBS is still weak as we indicated earlier in the forum. I guess the winegard pre-amp might be best and I could eliminate the 10dbi behind the TV. My wife is now questioning the time and money I'm putting into two channels. She doesn't feel spending $$ on rotor is worth the time and money, since we get great signal now and the whole reason for doing this was to save $90.00 month. Maybe I can convince her to do the pre-amp - short money and 30 minutes worth of work.
Old 21-Oct-2010, 8:45 AM   #37
kb2fzq

If it were me? Enjoy what you have and put the tools (and the check book ) away....
You have one of the best TVF reports I've seen, and I've seen alot...don't mess with the great signals you already have...
Old 22-Oct-2010, 8:05 PM   #38
fonzie888

Talking Makes sense

Sounds like a sensible idea. I am enjoying watching PBS and high def local channels to include ION and RTV. I also watch hulu on the web. My coworker is doing a c5 and c4 combo package in his attic and he's splitting the signal to three TV sets. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 27-Oct-2010, 8:12 PM   #39
fonzie888

I recently rescanned my television using the free 10DB amp and I have acquired Cool Tv12. I guess it's a music station. It's kind of like the old MTV(80's) without any interruptions. I also picked up higher ION channels 69 - blank and 17-1, 17-2, 17-3 - all blank.