TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Sep-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
coolkish

Antenna recommendations? (link below)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36270bf0c9de6

I am on 3rd floor in an apartment complex in UTC/San Diego. My patio faces inwards towards other apartments (I could place an antenna out in patio).

I presume using an indoor powered antenna (from Terk?) I could pick up a few within range. Any recommendations for picking up additional UHF channels?

Thank you for a nice site and supporting newbies

Cheers,
Kishore
coolkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , Is 3rd floor the top floor ? In what directions do the other windows face ?
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
coolkish

Thank you John.

Yes, 3rd floor is the top floor. My patio faces north and other windows in main floor face north or east (all face another building). I did notice a window facing south in the loft with clear sky view. (I could place antenna there)..

Cheers,
Kishore
Old 7-Sep-2010, 9:53 PM   #4
mtownsend

You probably don't want to use the amplified version of the indoor antenna. The strongest signals on your list have the potential to overload the built-in amp. You would be better off using the non-amplified Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) version of the antenna.

Installing the antenna in the loft may or may not be necessary. You can try it from your TV area first. If it's not stable enough, then you may need to move the antenna further up.

Just so you know, indoor antennas are always influenced by a lot of random factors. There are unknown objects (ducts, plumbing, wiring, stucco mesh, people walking by, etc.) that can reflect, absorb, or interfere with your TV signals. There's no way to know exactly how your indoor environment will be affected, so there's going to be some trial and error involved.

Attic antennas are usually influenced by fewer obstacles, so they are usually more reliable/predictable. Outdoor antennas are the best because they have the fewest obstacles/random factors.

If you are concerned that your landlord might take issue with you installing an antenna on the roof, you may want to read up on the FCC's rule regarding over the air reception devices (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html). It basically says that everyone has the right (with a few special exceptions) to install an antenna for OTA reception purposes. Since this is a federally set policy, it carries the legal force to supersede any landlord, HOA, city, county, or state regulations that try to limit your right to install an antenna.

I do not advocate creating any friction between you and your landlord, but sometimes it helps to know that the law is on your side in this matter. We're just trying to help everyone get the best, most reliable reception of free TV that they can get. If an indoor antenna isn't quite good enough, then an outdoor antenna is the next logical step.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
coolkish

Ahh thanks for explaining about not using amplified antennas :-). I will take my shot with HDTVi ($20 shipped on ebay) and see how it goes.

I don't think mounting antenna on roof of patio is going to be an issue since I noticed directv dish there as well.

Cheers,
Kishore