TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Nov-2011, 1:31 PM   #1
Aurora

Oklahoma 74014 Antenna Suggestion

Gents,

Yes, this is another typical help me figure out what kind of antenna I should use and where you suggest mounting (attic vs. roof). I'm relatively close to Tulsa which seems like the hub for many stations. I would like to get as many channels as reasonably possible, but this will likely rank as a secondary source of entertainment to my Netflix account.

From my brief looking around, the HD Stacker seems like it may be useable, but I'm very novice to this realm.

Below is my tvfool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4bbac750b63af7

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Michael
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 5:31 PM   #2
rickcain

You're quite close to the stations which are all around you so there's no need for a very large directional unless you want to snag stations in the red zone. A 4 bay bowtie UHF should be sufficent, and only KOED and KJRJ are in the upper VHF range but they're so close its likely to be picked up anyway by a bowtie antenna. Antennacraft U4000 Channelmaster CM2020, CM4221HD (Roof mounting assumed) Stay away from any antenna made by Lava, or an ebay special that claims 100 mile range.

Last edited by rickcain; 10-Nov-2011 at 5:32 PM. Reason: spacing
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 5:54 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Consider a cheap set of rabbit ears.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT111-Bas.../dp/B000HKGK8Y

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 9:17 PM   #4
Aurora

Thank you for your responses!

Ground- You think I would be suitable with a simple set of rabbit ears? Would you suggest mounting them in the attic?

Rick- Thanks, I will look into sources for those antennas.

Please continue if you have thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Michael
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Rabbit ears indoors or in the attic can't be expected to deliver as much signal as a higher gain antenna mounted outdoors. But you are starting with signal levels that give you quite a bit of 'breathing room' when it comes to the amount of gain needed.

The challenge for an antenna with gain is that it will be directional to some degree. The 4-bay UHF is not nearly as directional as a Yagi or Log Periodic but the two major groupings of signals are about 90 degrees separate from one another. I think you'll have a hard time finding a single aim point for the 4-bay that will give you reliable reception of both groups.

A set of rabbit ears is easy to turn if needed. Unless your home has metal siding, wire mesh in stucco, foil faced insulation or some similar signal blocking material, a $10 set of rabbit ears should have no trouble receiving everything in the green section of your report except for real channel 20 which is used by two stations on nearly identical azimuths.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote