TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jul-2016, 3:29 PM   #1
storypage

Picking up all local major networks

Hello. I would like to receive all of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) in my local area. Here is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb7b0bd83b9d

I can only seem to pick up either Fox and ABC, or CBS and NBC, depending on where I point the antenna, even though they are in the same general direction (though not in a straight line). What can I do differently that would help with this?

Would a daisy chain of antennas pointing in two directions help with this? Is there an antenna that can point int two different directions? Is there somewhere in between that might work?

My apologies in advance if these are stupid questions. Thanks for any help you can give.
storypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2016, 4:06 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Would you please tell us (in your post) what you've been using for an antenna, how and where it's mounted, describe the immediate signal path, and describe any accessories involved?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2016, 5:32 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Here's a link to your earlier thread: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13320

If you are still using the Antennas Direct DB8 you mentioned in the old thread, I'd suggest experimenting with alternate mounting locations and/or height as a first step.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Jul-2016 at 5:34 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2016, 2:19 PM   #4
storypage

Thanks much!
Old 13-Aug-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by storypage View Post
I would like to receive all of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox) in my local area.
I can only seem to pick up either Fox and ABC, or CBS and NBC, depending on where I point the antenna, even though they are in the same general direction (though not in a straight line).
The problem is, you didn't follow the good advice given to you by GroundUrMast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I'd suggest that you should focus your efforts on the signal to the S & SW. Your chances of reliable reception are quite good in that direction.

The spread between signals leads me toward the Antennas Direct DB4e facing about 200° as a starting aim point.
He saw ahead of time the problem you are now facing, and suggested the DB4e because it has a wider beamwidth to cover both directions at the same time.

The 8 bay antenna has a null on each side of center that makes the other direction weaker.

It is not clear whether you bought the DB8 or the newer DB8e. They both have a null each side of center, but the newer DB8e has printed circuit baluns that are excellent for UHF, but don't do well with VHF signals like ABC on real channel 11.

The DB4E has a wider beamwidth and doesn't have a null on each side of enter like the DB8E.

Quote:
What can I do differently that would help with this?
You can buy a DB4E, but before that you can do a test using half of your DB8E.

Disconnect the feedline from the output of the combiner and connect it to the balun of just one of the panels. This will bypass the combiner and the other panel. If ABC is too weak, you will need to add a VHF-High antenna for it, like the AD VHF Kit or an MCM 30-2475.

An alternative would be to use a Winegard HD7694P or an Antennas Direct C2V aimed at about 197 degrees magnetic for your local channels, and use the DB8e for hunting distant stations in other directions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storypageTVFdb8e.jpg (178.1 KB, 1512 views)
File Type: jpg DB4E Pattern.JPG (112.6 KB, 1532 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 14-Aug-2016 at 12:34 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2016, 7:07 PM   #6
storypage

Thanks, rabbit73. That's quite helpful, and a lot of work on your part.

I do have a DB8 (not DB8e, although I can order one) pointed 200°. With that, I actually pic up channel 7 ABC very well, along with Fox 18, PBS 10 and 34 (same programs, different channels). When I move it just a little to the south, I pick up channel 3 NBC and (barely) CBS 6, but lose ABC. But ABC is more important due to weather (thunderstorms, tornadoes) because it is from Lawton where I live and the other networks are based in Wichita Falls, 60 miles to the south. Any ideas how to fix that?

I did find the following by GroundUrMast that I think looks very promising and along the lines of what I was considering...

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

Thoughts?
Old 5-Oct-2016, 11:35 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
I did find the following by GroundUrMast that I think looks very promising and along the lines of what I was considering...
Yes, that looks like a good solution for you.

Mount a Winegard HD7694P antenna aimed at 210 degrees magnetic, and connect it to the antenna input of your TV for your local channels, Fox and ABC.

Aim your DB8 at 185 degrees magnetic for NBC and CBS. Connect it to an external tuner, with its output connected to the aux input of the TV.

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Oct-2016 at 3:19 PM.
Old 8-Oct-2016, 3:25 PM   #8
storypage

Thanks again!
Old 18-Nov-2016, 2:46 PM   #9
storypage

Just a quick update...

I decided to move my DB4 antenna onto a mast higher from the ground, almost 30' now, pointed at 200 degrees as suggested by GroundUrMast and picked them all up (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS) just fine. I still might put up a second antenna and point it at Oklahoma City (88 miles way) just for fun and to see what happens, but for now, I'm happy.

Thank you all so much for your patience and assistance. Y'all are great.
Old 19-Nov-2016, 1:09 AM   #10
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for your report. Glad to hear it worked for you.

We appreciate the feedback.
Old 19-Nov-2016, 1:26 AM   #11
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Many don't realize that the stacked bowtie antennas are truely the best for their pattern and gain adjustability

You can simply bend the whiskers back at a slight angle and widen the pattern or you can bend them forward and curve the reflector for more gain
And a narrower pattern
I recently did just that for a neighbor
They now get 49 channels most of which are over 50 miles away using 50 ft of coax and no preamp needed
Using a 4 bay bowtie mounted 7 feet off the ground
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote