TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Feb-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
DaveBB

Help, for some reason my antenna works then doesn't work then works?

I need some help here, my antenna worked fine. But now it works sometimes, then the next time I turn it on it doesn't work and then the next time it will work. This happens no matter what the weather is outside. I'm confused on what is happening here with it. Have a Channel Master antenna, and a pre-amp. and always got reliable signal. I would appreciate any help that you may offer to me. Thanks so much!!
DaveBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
Jake V

Do you have more than one television? If yes, does it happen on all your televisions?

If yes, check all your connections between the antenna and the pre-amp. A little wind can play havoc with a loose connection.

If no, try rescanning for channels twice. And check the signal level on a station that is intermittent.

Post your TV Fool Report. If your signals are very strong you might not need a pre-amp. But there is no way to know until we see your report.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2015, 3:04 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Looking at your posts from a few years back... It looks like you opted for a Winegard HD7698P. What's the model # of your preamp?

Also, it looks like all your past TVFool report links have aged out of the server. As Jake V already mentions, a fresh TVFool report link would be very helpful. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

What sort of trees, buildings or other obstructions are you forced to aim through?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2015, 3:47 PM   #4
DaveBB

Yes it happens to all my tvs. Need a pre amp to get the signals. The antenna will work for hours fine I'll turn off the tvs and the next day it won't work. then I'll try again later and it will work. Don't have any trees or obstructions in the way. Could the pre amp be going bad? Here's my report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15a6c85912cb
Old 7-Feb-2015, 7:54 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Could the pre amp be going bad?
Yes, that's possible. What's the make and model of the preamp?

How high is your antenna above the ground?

Lightning does not have to strike the antenna or preamp directly to do damage... It's possible that a nearby strike could cause damage that manifests intermittently.

However, exposure to the weather can explain these symptoms also. Moisture in the antenna matching (transformer/balun assembly), coax, etc. will cause oddly variable symptoms as well.

The system needs a close inspection. For items that visually look OK, but remain suspect, substitution with a known good part is often the least expensive choice (as opposed to buying or renting commercial test equipment).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Feb-2015 at 4:34 PM. Reason: added to list of things to look for.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2015, 6:09 AM   #6
Stereocraig

I purchased one of those a few years ago and w/in a few months, had the same problem.
After some tests w/ my DMM, I discovered a dead short between the main boom and the phasing lines.
Seems that when the hole for the rear rivet was punched, they didn't deburr it.

I ground off the rivet, reamed the hole and replaced the rivet w/ 10-40 hardware.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2015, 3:36 PM   #7
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBB View Post
I need some help here, my antenna worked fine. But now it works sometimes, then the next time I turn it on it doesn't work and then the next time it will work. This happens no matter what the weather is outside. I'm confused on what is happening here with it. Have a Channel Master antenna, and a pre-amp. and always got reliable signal. I would appreciate any help that you may offer to me. Thanks so much!!
Make sure all your coax connections are tight. Anything that blocks the DC voltage from getting to the preamp prevents it from working and can cause the kind of problem you are having.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2015, 6:25 PM   #8
DaveBB

Thanks, Yes I have the winegard antenna mentioned and an Antenna Craft 10G20X pre amp. My antenna is 35' in the air. And connections all look good at the house. Being winter and the snow I haven't climbed the tower to check those connections.
Old 1-Nov-2015, 4:36 PM   #9
DaveBB

Hello again,
I have checked all my connections and the pre amp light is on.
But I still can't get any signal from any channel.
Also tried scanning again for the channels and got nothing and the signal strength was zero.
Any ideas on what I can do to get this working would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 1-Nov-2015, 8:08 PM   #10
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBB View Post
Hello again,
I have checked all my connections and the pre amp light is on.
But I still can't get any signal from any channel.
Also tried scanning again for the channels and got nothing and the signal strength was zero.
Any ideas on what I can do to get this working would be appreciated.
Thanks
Process of elimination, will help narrow it down.

Start by removing the amp and the power inserter.
Removing just the amp, will only accomplish blocking of 30db of your signal and leaving only the inserter hooked up, may damage your balun.

Last edited by Stereocraig; 2-Nov-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: rephrase
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Nov-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
rickbb

[QUOTE=Stereocraig;53531]Process of elimination, will help narrow it down.

QUOTE]

That's what I'd do. Start back at the antenna with short coax and only one TV, no pre-amp.

If you get all your channels back with that then start adding things back in until you get failure. This will tell you exactly where the failure point is.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote