TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 19-Sep-2014, 3:58 PM   #1
Jake V

Question DB-8e & Y5-7-13 vs HBU-44 - How to Choose (General Question)

Question for the Experts

There are occasions when recommendations are made for an HBU-44 (or maybe HBU-55) and other occasions when the DB-8e & something like a Y5-7-13 are recommended.

I'd like to understand better why one would recommend one set of antennas over another.

The HBU-44 (55) looks to be more directional than others. Does that make it better than the DB-8e in some circumstances? Even though the DB-8e has a much higher gain?

Or, to look it differently, forgetting for the moment about costs and utilizing two antennas instead of one, why would you not always recommend a DB-8e for (for example) a two edge signal at, say 20dB? Or for a two edge signal at 0dB?

Thanks!
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jan-2015, 5:44 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Well I guess I'll toss my two cents in on this...

I'm a fan of versatility and flexibility. Separate UHF and H-VHF antennas allow you to optimize aim in ways that are impossible with a multi-band antenna such as the HBU-XX and HD769XP types.

I favour an antenna with extra gain... The smallest antenna possible, backed up by an amplifier is often the cause of intermittent reception reliability problems.

Still, when all the desired signals are coming from one location, the need for aiming flexibility is not there so an HBU or similar competing vendor version of that antenna will be a neat and tidy solution.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote