TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Feb-2011, 7:54 PM   #1
sakrattack

help with choosing equipment

hello everyone. thinking about ditching cable,,moving to OTA,,check out my location ...i'm between phili and nyc,,, any suggestions for antennas and other equip needed to pull some of these stations in would greatly be appreciated.
i can put antennas on my roof,, even in an attic though i doubt it would work,,

i would like to hook up 1 HD tv, 1 SD for now,,and possibly add another HD in the future.

thank you

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf427e475af16
sakrattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 8:25 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You get a full line up using a large all channel deep fringe such as the Winegard HD8200U aimed at 216° (compass).

Pair that with a quality preamp like a Winegard AP8700 or a Antennas Direct CPA19.

I would not expect an attic install to give good results.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Excellent advice from GUM. I will add , mount the Tv antenna with a STRONG and STURDY Mount such as a , Tripod , Chimney or Peak of the Roof Eave Mount. Think with terms of Strong and Sturdy , Not what can I get by with. If older Tv is a Analog Tv then will need a Digital to Analog converter box. Here are some Digital to Analog converters to use. Zinwell ZAT 950A , Alphadigital AT2016 , Tivax STB-T8 , CM7000 , CM7000PAL , Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK .
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
John Candle

Reading the answers to other question askers posts will get you more information about where to by antennas and etc. , and etc. , and etc. , because the information is repeated over and over and over again and again and again.

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Feb-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 8-Feb-2011, 8:59 PM   #5
sakrattack

thanks guys, i appreciate it. should i bother even getting a rotor to try to hit the nyc signals ? also, do i need any other amp if i am splitting the signal with a 3 or 4 way splitter?
sakrattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Looking at you TVF report... WABC and lower are not going to be reliable if you can see them at all. You can prove me wrong by manually aiming the antenna that way while setting things up.

You will have all the amplifier you need for a 4-way split.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
John Candle

Using a rotor with more then one Tv connected brings on unhappiness because where the antenna is pointed thats the programing that everyone will watch. In your reception situation you can install separate antenna systems to point other antennas at other Tv stations and use remote control A/B antenna switches at the Tv locations. If one Tv is connected do not use a splitter , if two tv"s are connected use a two way splitter , if three tv's are connected use a three way splitter. I expect the antenna and amplifier will supply signal to 3 tv's. . In any event , ----> It Time To Put Some Aluminum and Plastic In The Air !!