TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jun-2012, 6:57 PM   #1
Hod

Wink Indooor antenna reception

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.a...on=-71.1340153

Have an RCA-Audiovox rabbit ears amplified antenna. Any suggestion of another antenna for better indoor antenna reception?

Thanks,

Hod
Hod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2012, 7:13 PM   #2
Electron

All questions and answers about Tv reception

We require the tvfool radar plot report. Antennaweb does not even come close to listing all the receivable Tv stations.

Use the Exact Address for the tvfool radar plot report.

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc. ??

Make the antenna height of the tvfool radar repot plot , 25 feet.

How many Tv's are/will be connected ??
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2012, 2:29 AM   #3
Hod

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...13499434c75b60
I'm in an apartment. The Antenna is a RCA301. I now get channels 7.1, 7.2, 56.1, 56.2. One TV is attached to the antenna. I have tried rotating it with no improvement.
Thanks, "Hod"
Old 21-Jun-2012, 4:56 AM   #4
MisterMe

You are receiving WLVI-RF41 at 249° magnetic and WHDH-RF42 at 239° magnetic. The fact that you are receiving signals on two adjacent channels and nothing else hints that your amplifier is filtering out everything else. My recommendation to you is to ditch the amplified antenna. You have ample signal strength on numerous channels. The total power that you are receiving is causing your amplifier to behave anomalously. If you have no choice but to use an indoor antenna, then your indoor antenna should be placed in window with a view of the southwest. All of the stations that you can receive with an indoor antenna are in the UHF band. Aim your UHF antenna at about 245° magnetic.

BTW, you cannot expect to use your amplified antenna unpowered. Without power, the amplifier is an attenuator. It will significantly reduce your signal. You need a plain passive antenna. A standard UHF loop or bowtie will probably do the trick.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2012, 7:43 PM   #5
Hod

Wink Reception limited

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

Since the amplifier might be causing a problem with the reception, I turned down the gain on the amplifier. This caused the TV to have no picture to a worse picture.

I had initially tried to put the antenna near the window while changing the compass orientation of the antenna. I actually received no OTA signal with the antenna near the window.

Do y'all suggest I try another type of antenna, an unamplified one. Is there a better design and build that would give me more success? Can you suggest an antenna manufacturer and model?

Thanks so much for the guidance y'all provide. I really appreciate y'all's help.

I apologize if I have asked questions that you have already answered.

Best,
"Hod"
Old 21-Jun-2012, 8:13 PM   #6
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

If the apartment building is wood frame with wood or vinyl siding aim a Terk HDTVi (non amplified antenna) at about 235 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim indoor type antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

If the apartment building is , metal frame work , concrete , concrete blocks , cinder blocks , bricks from ground to roof , big rocks for walls , stucko Wire , metal siding , metal roof , metal backed insulation , solar panels , then reception will be reduced or blocked.

Is the apartment , basement , 1st floor , 2 floor , what floor?? What floor number is the top floor??

What directions are the windows , patio , balcony ??

The Tv/s Must scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channel' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by Electron; 28-Jun-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 21-Jun-2012, 9:18 PM   #7
Hod

Cool Apartment building, etc

Hello,
Thanks again for the suggestions.

The building is brick with a basement and 3 floors. I'm on the 2nd floor.
The windows face NorthWest and North.

I'll check again the OTA, cable setting and scan again.
Thanks,
Hod
Old 21-Jun-2012, 9:59 PM   #8
Electron

Is there a balcony??

What direction is the balcony??

If a balcony is to the north/west , west , south/west / south , I can recommend a antenna on the balcony that will greatly improve reception.

Tv antennas receive better outside of the building.
Old 21-Jun-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Electron

Place the HDTVi antenna in a window or close to a window that is to the north/west.

A very large group of Tv stations is to the south/west at about 235 degree magnetic compass.

Last edited by Electron; 21-Jun-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 22-Jun-2012, 4:11 AM   #10
Hod

Red face Balcony?

I don't have a balcony.

There is a window ledge.

Thanks,
Hod
PS I made sure I had the TV set for OTA, not cable and scanned with the gain off on the antenna, but there was no improvement.
Old 22-Jun-2012, 3:11 PM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Occupants in brick/stone/concrete/steel buildings are often left with the choice off trying to either catch a reflected signal of some other object outside their existing windows or hoping to get lucky as to whatever signals might penetrate the building's envelope through various points of ingress.

Unfortunately, we find that situations such as the one you've described will usually yield unsatisfactory reception results for indoor antenna users.

Here's an example. We've got some high-rise apartments just off the St Louis riverfront where residents in the south-west units can visually see the broadcast towers and can easily receive the signals with an indoor antenna while the residents in the north-east facing units are pretty much out of luck. They overlook the river and there is nothing to reflect the signal back to them. The concrete and steel construction of the building blocks signals from their units.

Good luck anyway!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jun-2012, 6:05 PM   #12
Electron

ALL questions and answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and more.

Put the HDTVi at the window.

Also here is a Broadcast Tv Antenna that is made to -> look like <- a small satellite dish on purpose.

http://www.antennacraft.net/pdfs/HDX1000.pdf , http://www.antennacraft.net.

Most apartment buildings allow small dishes on the outside.

Aim the HDX1000 toward the southwest.

Here is how to aim outdoor type antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

There are also some Tv stations to the north west but not as many. And as such aim a antenna to the north west.

Last edited by Electron; 22-Jun-2012 at 6:09 PM.
Old 30-Jun-2012, 2:16 PM   #13
Hod

Cool Thanks

Thanks, y'all, for trying to help me with getting rid of my cable. I'm in a bad location, building-wise. Thanks again!
Truly,
"Hod"
Old 18-Jul-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Amillennialist

Mohu Leaf Plus worked wonders for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hod View Post
Thanks, y'all, for trying to help me with getting rid of my cable. I'm in a bad location, building-wise. Thanks again!
Truly,
"Hod"
Hod,

I just bought a Mohu Leaf Plus. I live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area and among a lot of hills. I had been using rabbit ears for OTA, but since I regularly had to wrestle with them to tune in certain stations and was given an outdoor antenna, I was ready to break out the ladder.

Anyway, before I started drilling holes and running cable, I remembered reading about the Leaf a few months back. I thought it was worth a try, so I ordered one, and it's been outstanding.

I get stations now that I didn't get before; one particularly-difficult station comes in much better now (it's not perfect; sometimes the audio from the receiver cuts out, so I switch to the tv's audio temporarily, but it's such a huge improvement); and there are no more unsightly antennae sticking out from my entertainment center.

I've tried a lot of other indoor antennas but none worked as well as the rabbit ears, and the Leaf (Plus) blows them away.

It might be worth a try if you get it from a store with a good return policy.

Good luck,

A.

Last edited by Amillennialist; 18-Jul-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Clarity
Amillennialist is offline   Reply With Quote