TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Jan-2014, 3:16 AM   #1
junior

mounting on metal masts....

I am wondering if there is any negative interaction mounting a DB4e and/or a yagi on a metal mast? Also, I would like to mount the DB4e horizontal to the mast as opposed to vertical. How can I do this? Do they make mast clamps that you can rotate? I might need to drill new holes in the clamp to fit the holes in the DB4e? Any diff in performance? It would also get me a bit more room for the yagi underneath.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2014, 4:43 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14047.

--------------------------------------

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What directions do , windows , patios/balconies , face??

What floor??

What is the top floor??

Use the Exact address to make and post a tvfool radar plot and channel list report with the antenna height in the report 25 feet above ground.

If the Exact address does not work to make the tvfool report.

Enter the zip code , and then move the pointer to the Exact location and make the tvfool report.

If the zip code does not work , then use some location around the area that the reception location is at and then move the pointer to your Exact reception location and make the tvfool report and post the tvfool report.
Old 12-Jan-2014, 7:28 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Television signals are transmitted in either horizontal or elliptical polarization. This means that the DB4e and similar antennas will perform best if oriented so that the 'bow-tie' elements extend left and right of the antenna center line. You will loose a significant amount of performance if you rotate the antenna 90° from it's designed orientation.

Generally, mount the UHF antenna at the top of the mast, and the VHF antenna 3' to 4' below. This means that a 5' mast lacks the room needed for a UHF and separate VHF antenna.

UHF and VHF antennas produced commercially (as opposed to home made designs) function well when mounted on a metal mast. The typical metal mast used for OTA TV antenna mounting is about 1 3/8" in diameter. In recent years I have found it difficult to find "TV antenna mast" in lengths other than 5'. My solution has been to use chain-link fence top-rail. I find it in stock at places such as Home Depot. It's 1 3/8" in diameter and 10.5' in length. It even has a swedged end, designed for stacking multiple sections end to end. And perhaps best of all, it's reasonably priced.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-Jan-2014 at 7:42 AM. Reason: chain-link top-rail
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
junior

No need.....GroundUrMast answered my questions. Thanks
junior is offline   Reply With Quote