TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Apr-2013, 9:08 PM   #1
Claybuster

Reception problems, South Quebec (near Chateauguay NY)

Hello everyone, i'm a newbie here.

here's my analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda188a7fddbb

Right now, i'm using a homemade ''indoor'' db4 antenna on the first floor near the window to get a good reception on my hdtv.

2.1 SRC
6.1 CBC
8 CTV (analog)
10.1 TVA
12.1 CTV
15.1 Clobal (unamed on the analysis)
17.1 TQ (24.1 on the analysis and its wrong, should be corrected) *very bad reception* got it once ad never come back
66.1 *no signal* any idea of what channel it is?
66.2 Same .......... ?
77.1 Same .......... ?

Ok, so what to do to get a better reception and to pick up some more channels? I have decent reception from Montreal but would love to pick up Burlington and Plattsburgh area. Does a preamplifier like the ChannelMaster 7777 with the DB4 is enough?

What do i need to do to get:
35.1 V
57.1 PBS
3.1 CBS
5.1 NBC
22.1 ABC
44.1 FOX (any Chance?)

i'm a the begining of the adirondak mountains and lots of levels around.
Rural area, lots of trees.
I have a metal roof on the house. I suppose it is a reason why i have less channels?

I know i asked a lot of question. I'm open to all alternative.

I appreciate your help and thanks
Claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2013, 5:36 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

When you click on the call-sign of a station listed on your TV Fool report, you get a view of the path profile, a graphic of the terrain cross-section between the transmitter and your location. In the case of the signal coming from 138° magnetic, you have some high terrain relatively close to your location. That suggests you'll be facing some significant challenges to reliable reception of those signals.

I would expect to need the largest available UHF and High-VHF antennas available. You'll also need to take steps to get over or around trees. Antennas such as the Antennas Direct 91XG, DB8e and Winegard HD9095P come to mind when looking for UHF solutions. The Antennacraft Y10713 and Winegard YA1713 are options for H-VHF coverage.

If you're into 'roll-yer-own' antennas, the GH10n3 is an amazing bit of engineering... http://clients.teksavvy.com/~nickm/g...6V9_14u65.html

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2013, 6:58 PM   #3
Claybuster

Thanks for your help
Old 11-Jul-2013, 4:01 PM   #4
Claybuster

I got a very good deal on a ''Digiwave Digital TV Antenna (ANT7286)''. Is this antenna with a very good pre-amp (cm777) could help me to get the USA Channels?

Thanks

Last edited by Claybuster; 26-Jul-2013 at 2:01 PM.
Old 26-Jul-2013, 2:17 PM   #5
Claybuster

Hi,

Just to make a correction, the previous report was with a 10' high antenna (or 1st floor report) and not the good info for an outdoor antenna.

Here is my new tv fool report, this is the one with a 40' high antenna (not installed yet).
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aedde80486a4

I got a good answer in a previous post from ''GroundUrMast'' and i want to know if the ''Digiwave Digital TV Antenna (ANT7286)'' is good enough to make the job? thanks again for your answers.

Last edited by Claybuster; 26-Jul-2013 at 4:00 PM.
Old 1-Aug-2013, 5:26 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

The advertising claims for the ANT7286 (max gain 35 dB) are not credible. Similar designs rarely claim/prove gain greater than 12 to 15 dBd. (20 dB additional gain is the same as claiming the antenna will deliver 100 times more power to the down-lead that the competitors similar antenna design... I'm quite skeptical to say the least.)

Still, the ANT7286 should be roughly similar in performance to the UHF antennas I recommended earlier. Let's presume more believable values of gain... Optimistically, let's assume the antenna can provide 15 dBd gain in the UHF band. The antenna may well be able to deliver reception of signals with noise margin values as low as -10 to -15 dB... YMMV. Don't expect this antenna design (UHF only) to deliver much in the way of VHF reception. A H-VHF antenna like the Antennacraft Y10713 is still needed if you want any hope of receiving WVNY, real CH-13, VC-22.n.

The CM-7777 is a good weak signal amplifier. Don't expect it to handle the strong local signals well.

Hang some metal in the air... and let us know your results.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2013, 2:47 PM   #7
Claybuster

I tried the antenna outside next to my garage about 10-15' high, the antenna directed to the Montreal transmitters.

I was surprised to see that i pick up every Montreal Channels pretty well. I was not expecting to pick up City 62.1 (UHF 49) and Canal Savoir 29.1 (UHF29) that easy and good.

I will do test for the Burlington and Plattsburgh location later.
Old 11-Sep-2013, 4:47 PM   #8
Claybuster

Here is the latest news.
One of my dad's friend is getting rid of is 60' tower and will get it for very low money.
So should get the tower by the end of the month installed at home hopefully.

This weekend, I test my brand new pre-amp RCA model (RCA TVPRAMP1R) that I installed with my DB8 antenna (digiwave model) at 2 feet from ground.

I was able to get a Lock on PBS Mountain Lake (UHF 38) 57.1
and to my GREAT SURPRISE ....CBS 3.1 (and I'm surronded by trees and 2edge path)

My question is by doing some TV Fool comparaison:
Looking only for the American channels, How is it possible to get a better TV Fool signal from 2' from ground compared to 10-30-60' above ground? is it something i Don't understand or there is a good reason?

2' from ground:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae55ffe8b8ea

10' from ground:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae5b892ca7a9

30' from ground:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed636ee20d1

60' from ground:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae4b97356f08