TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Jun-2012, 3:13 PM   #1
brin831

Another N. Charlotte Cable Cutter

wanted to resurrect this thread i live very same area and was debating the same situation as far as 2 bay vs 4 bay antenna ... i have aprox a 35 ft run to grounding point on the side of my house and then another 20 to splitter 1 to 3 off the split the longest run being back up stairs to bedroom of about 30 more ft ... its all rg6 ... this is a new home with preinstalled structured wiring ... i'm scratching my cable and want to install an antenna to get all the local broadcast stations but my question is with this amount of coax and the split do i need a pre amplifier ... do i need a distribution amp at the splitter also ?? i know more gain isn't always good as it raises the noise floor ... antenna will be on roof aprox 35 ft agl any thoughts folks ?? -- sara how did your setup end up working out ??

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-Jun-2012 at 4:39 PM. Reason: Started new thread with reference to similar thread.
brin831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jun-2012, 4:44 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

While your situation may be similar to your neighbors, a TV Fool report based on you location is going to be the best way for us to understand your situation.

Guidelines when asking for help

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jun-2012, 5:02 PM   #3
brin831

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...13494eee41e60c
Old 12-Jun-2012, 5:42 PM   #4
sara

You need a VHF/UHF antenna. The options are ClearStream2 Complete (not just C2 without Complete) and ClearStream5. You can go with other companies, but I want to leave it for the experts to comment. I have not used other brands. ClearStream2Complete is available only from Antennasdirect. But if you look in the internet (e.g. SolidSignal, Amazon), you can get a C5 for much cheaper than a C2Complete.

You need a preamp or a distribution amp, but not both. Even without any you will get signals that are good but not reliable for some stations. This is because your towers are located in two directions. I have a 8 way split in wiring hence I got a distribution amp. But in hindsight I might have bought a preamp only and forget the distribution amp. Distribution amp is a little cheaper than a preamp. Hence I wanted to try with a distribution amp first. But I believe preamp is better as it pushes the signal very close to antenna.

You will get all the charlotte area channels easily provided you have at least 10-20 feet of height. If you go for other powerful antennas, you might get the greensboro stations on the backside (north east) when you tune to your stations (on south west). Include your TV fool report and people will help you.

My advice will be to get an antenna, Install it and see if you get all stations. If not go for a preamp.

Last edited by sara; 12-Jun-2012 at 5:45 PM.
sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jun-2012, 7:03 PM   #5
brin831

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...13494eee41e60c

here is my report
Old 13-Jun-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
brin831

well the cs2 and 5 is def the style antenna i want to get i do not think a larger boom one is both necessary nor hoa happy ... i know the fcc laws etc but best not mess with it if i don't have to bother with making anyone mad haha

questions are:

i can get my hands on plenty of belden 1694a its supposedly serial digital optimized cable but i would assume its no biggie in this matter at vhf and uhf freq. any thoughts ?? it would be for my outside run and jumpers to preamp etc.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/1694A.pdf

I also was wondering anyone's thoughts on the following setups as i would like to get all of the green stations in my tvfool report most are all from different directions and i would like to avoid a rotators the only vhf i have is 11 and i'm indifferent about it.

http://www.summitsource.com/electron...e-p-10418.html

or

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...sku=1579839876

with winegard preamp 8700

summit source says this is their winegard1080 equivalent:

http://www.summitsource.com/terrestr...hf-p-8964.html

would still think i need preamp to split 3 times ... maybe to a 4th or 5th room depending on if it would help me not over gain my receivers with a too strong pre amp ... i would like all rooms but i really would like 3 for sure.

thanks in advance everyone !!
Old 14-Jun-2012, 2:33 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

The Belden 1694a is fine... sounds like the price is right.

The ANT-2092 should be avoided... 30dB of preamp gain is going to overload given the strong local signals.

The HD-1080 is much more reasonable... However, any 4-bay bow-tie style antenna that has all of the bow-tie elements one on top of the other... from Antennacraft, Antennas Direct, Channel Master or Winegard would serve quite well based on your stated list of desired signals. (U4000, DB4 or DB4e, CM4221, HD4400)

Try this with no amplifier... seriously. You can add a 4 or 8 port distribution amplifier if you prove the need, but the gain of the antenna and the strength of the signals is such that an amplifier may hurt rather than help.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2012, 7:32 PM   #8
John Candle

Antennas

Install a Antennas Direct C5 above the roof aimed at 220 magnetic compass.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote