TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Apr-2012, 1:14 PM   #1
OberGeiss

Two antennas on single mast

I am adding a low band VHF (Ant Direct V4) to my rig, which has a yagi style XG91. Ran this by tech assist at Antennas Direct and since I am already picking up reliable high band VHF with the yagi, the low band should be perfect addition. So, is it appropriate to have both on the same mast?

Should cabling from the combiner to each ant be of identical length?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
David
OberGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2012, 3:47 PM   #2
signals unlimited

I see red flags with this configuration...There is no device that I know of that will allow coupling of the Low VHF to an antenna that is carring high V and UHF. This may be a problem.

I would rather see you use the yagi for UHF only and an antenna that is cut for channels 2-13. Then you can use a band pass coupler to combind these signals into one coax. Keep them at least 18 inches apart and dont worry about the cable length. That only applies when stacking identical antennas headed in the same direction to improve the gain by 3db.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2012, 4:08 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Use a UVSJ UHF/VHF separator/joiner. Type the letters UVSJ in the solidsignal search box. http://www.solidsignal.com. The Antennas Direct antenna is really not the correct antenna. The correct antenna to use is VHF 2 thru 13 antenna. I recommend a Antenna Craft CS600 , http://www.antennacraft.net .

Last edited by Electron; 24-Apr-2012 at 4:23 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2012, 4:34 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I see red flags with this configuration...There is no device that I know of that will allow coupling of the Low VHF to an antenna that is carring high V and UHF. This may be a problem.
The HLSJ will work. http://www.hollandelectronics.com/ca...parator-Joiner Also available from Tru-Spec (P/M). Handy device for this application.

Quote:
I would rather see you use the yagi for UHF only and an antenna that is cut for channels 2-13.
2-13 antennas? If you can still find a WG HD5030, then you can do that. Otherwise, I don't know of any 2-13 antennas still in production. Using an all-channel antenna with a UVSJ and discarding the UHF from it in favor of the UHF signals from the big Yagi is about the only alternative remaining.

The 91XG isn't recommended for VHF, but it isn't completely blind on the high-VHF band for short ranges. I can't argue with his reception of 7-13 since it happens to be working.

If you do the V4/91XG, I'd suggest 4' physical separation between the booms of the antennas. If you are currently amplifying the 91XG's but do not need to amplify the V4's signal, you're going to need to keep the V4's signal separate from the coax that carries the pre-amplifier power - IOW, you cannot combine using the HLSJ until AFTER the pre-amp's power inserter.

One way or another, there will be compromises.

Edit: I see the CS600 was suggested. I'd forgotten about it - it's a good suggestion to go with the 91XG via UVSJ. Don't forget to order a balun transformer with it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Apr-2012 at 4:47 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2012, 5:11 PM   #5
OberGeiss

Thanks.
Tech rep at Ant Direct indicated that this would be fine combo using this:
http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/..._combiner.html

Not a huge investment for the combiner or ant...so will be learning opportunity at worst.

The placement is something I need to think about for the new ant (V4 low band).

Best,
David
Old 24-Apr-2012, 8:01 PM   #6
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

You have received the straight story from Antennas Direct , But like you say , does not cost much to find out for your self. AD Tech also forgot about the Winegard HD5030 channels 2 thru 13 antenna.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Our UHF/VHF combiner is a UVSJ, intended to be used to combine a UHF-only antenna to a VHF-only antenna.

Quote:
AD Tech also forgot about the Winegard HD5030 channels 2 thru 13 antenna.
Ni, I remembered that one, but it's out of production. See above.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
OberGeiss

OK I'll be sure to report back.

Having AD's XG 91 and CPA 19 I feel more comfortable adding a VHF rig made by AD as well. I seem to be doing extremely well already with high band VHF as I mentioned.

I am unclear as to cabling in order to properly combine the V4 and XG91. Yes, the Yagi is definitely amplified (via AD's CPA-19) and there's a pretty good run (50' or less) from the Yagi's mast mounted pre to the power inserter in the basement.

Is the separate cabling that AD describes needed only with the HLSJ? I have ordered from AD the only VHF/UHF combiner appearing among its products offering, the UVSJ......where should that be placed in my system and can I avoid separate cabling to the V4?

And what about adding a pre to the V-4.....would a single power injector, feeding a common coax the UVSJ, sufficiently power both mast mounted preamps? And, if I leave the single coax from the power injector to the UVSJ, then to the V4(without a pre) and the Yagi (with its pre) am I likely substantially compromising my pre- amplification of the Yagi's UHF signal?

Many thanks gents!!!!
Thanks for all the valuable input.
David

Last edited by OberGeiss; 25-Apr-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 15-May-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
OberGeiss

Just a report back to the Forum....appreciate all your incisive input.

I ended up mounting the low band VHF on the opposite end of the house using 3" wall brackets. Separation between the Yagi and the V4 not an issue now.

I first cabled the low band V4 directly to a reliable HD set and was surprised to see nearly all UHF and VHF signals coming in fine on the V4.

I then utilized the AD UHF/VHF combiner (joining the yagi and the V4) and fed the output from the combiner to the input of my balanced 3 way splitter (then to 3 sets). Doing this I lost the low band stations I had just captured when the V4 had been cabled directly to one set.

Happened to have a Channel Master DA hanging around so figured I would try that between the V4 ant and the combiner. That worked fine so now getting all my VHF and UHF throughout the home.

Again many thanks.

David