TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Apr-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
OberGeiss

WKOB out of NYC

Anyone in the metro NYC area grabbing HOTTV/WKOB and, if so, is it still showing up as 42.1 (RF 2.1)? Thanks, David
OberGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=7536 , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKOB-LD

Last edited by Electron; 15-Apr-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2012, 1:02 AM   #3
OberGeiss

I read the Wiki entry last week on WKOB and then consulted the Facebook page maintained by HOTTV. It seems as if there is a possibility that it will be re-assigned to a different RF but at this time I am not getting any test pattern on 42.1, et seq. So just throwing it out there to see if anyone is currently pulling it in somehow while it's still broadcasting via RF 2.1. Interesting bit of HDTV history in WKOB going back to CBS for permission to occupy its legacy spot in the low VHF band.
Thanks,
Dvaid
Old 15-Apr-2012, 9:29 PM   #4
OberGeiss

Interesting...after cabling final set in the house with brand new RG-6 and high quality connectors, I re-scanned everything. I now am picking up (not very well...) WKOB on channel 42.1, et seq, on both LG HD sets and the other display with outboard Dish Network HD tuner does not pick it up.

That's the first time the DN tuner failed to pick up something seen by the LG tuners. Anyway, WKOB at 42.1, et seq, is breaking up and pixellating. Today is overcast but no rain. Will try again with clear night conditions.

The only thing that occurs to me (of feeble mind.....) is that adjacent 41.1, et seq, are causing interference. I am not really caring about the programming on 41.1, et seq, so perhaps appropriate Tinlee filter/notch pass to eliminate it and perhaps allow 42.1, et seq, to shine through.

Earlier today HotTv was showing an old Lone Ranger film and that's one channel I would really enjoy from time to time.

So for the moment, no need for VHF ant.
BTW, running XG91 yagi with CPA-19 to balanced 3 way splitter, whole kit and kaboodle now re-cabled with Perfect Vision RG-6 and new connectors.
XG pointing approx 95 degrees East, on mast about 20-24 feet above ground.

Thanks for any insights.

Best,
David
Old 15-Apr-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The FCC web site , http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=51441 , shows that WOCK is transmitting on channel 2 . The all channel antenna that I have recommended will receive All the television channels , VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF channels 14 thru 69.

Last edited by Electron; 16-Apr-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
OberGeiss

I understand completely ...but, I am now receiving, in stable fashion, WKOB on virtual 42.1, 42.2,42.3 and 42.4, running only the XG91, supposedly an UHF only antenna. So either the XG-91 is processing low band VHF or this station is broadcasting through a RF channel in the UHF band. Interesting......