TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Apr-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
dwbsr

maximum signal

Hi,
I have a Channel Master 4228HD 8-bay HDTV High VHF/UHF TV Antenna http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B000FVVKQM professionally installed on my roof with about 60 foot RG6 cable to TV.

Picking up these stations
Stations
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddaa55593ba7b I am just looking for the stations at the

My issue is, low signal strength, fade out and pixelization. I added a RCA TVPRAMP1R Outdoor Antenna Preamplifier with UHF: 22 dB gain, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P92D9Y/...410_item_image. Which increased the signal strength 20-40% (depending on channel) and eliminated the fade out and pixelization. The channels when from 40-50% to 55-80%. But I would like to get the maximum amount of signal strength possible.

Would adding another RCA TVPRAMP1R Outdoor Antenna Preamplifier in conjunction with the first one achieve my goal?

Thank you for your feed back
Dan

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Apr-2013 at 3:45 PM. Reason: Converted Antennaweb report to a full TVFR link / protecting OP's privacy
dwbsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2013, 1:03 PM   #2
elmo

I'd advise against that. Maybe it's possible to add some value, but most likely you won't gain anything, and you might end up with more issues. An amp amplifies everything that the antenna sends, including good signal, bad signal, etc. If the components are not up to snuff, it may add a little noise of it's own to the mix.

If you can watch all your channels w/o breakup, then, why fix what ain't broke, as they say! If there are issues still, then read on.

As far as I know, that's a UHF antenna that you have installed. But reception of some VHF isn't out of the question. It just may not be reliable. Can you provide a list of the channels that are weakest?

Last edited by elmo; 25-Apr-2013 at 1:07 PM. Reason: amp stuff
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2013, 2:45 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
But I would like to get the maximum amount of signal strength possible.
Do NOT waste your time. Like elmo stated above, "If you can watch all your channels w/o breakup, then, why fix what ain't broke, as they say!"

Adding another RCA amp will only cause problems. Replacing your existing RCA amp with a better one would be a more useful step.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 25-Apr-2013 at 2:56 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2013, 7:52 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Pile on...

There is more to reliable reception than raw signal power. Making a signal loud, does not mean it's worth listening to... How much of the lyrics can you understand coming from the car next to you at the light... the one with the rattling fenders due to the over-amplified bass?

Reliable reception starts (and often fails) at the antenna, it's selection and placement.

Another analogy, a hole in the ground with a bit of muddy water at the bottom might be called a well by some folks, but no matter what size pump you put in line... you'll only get high pressure mud at the tap.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2013, 1:09 AM   #5
teleview

For reception of the Tv stations to the north west , aim the antenna at about 343 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Old 28-Apr-2013, 6:48 PM   #6
dwbsr

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. I can't climb up on the roof because I had back surgery, I can't climb and stand on angles.

Here is an update on my situation. After installing the RCA TVPRAMP1R Outdoor Antenna Preamplifier indoors (I know it needs to be connected at the antenna, but I can't do it because of my back) it did improve the signal from the north west as mentioned. But here's the catch, even though this antenna was professionally installed, I went outside and found "no ground block" it was only connected to a barrel connector, the connectors were only finger tight, also there was no drip loop in the cable.

So, without the preamp here is what I did, I added a drip loop to the line, removed the barrel connector and added a ground block, grounding it, I also tighten the the coax connectors. This added about 10% strength to the signal. Here are my signals without the preamp.

2- 85%
4.↑- 69-72% - drops to 0
11.↑ - 82%
13.↑ - 77%
16.↑ - 82%
19 - 77% drops to 0
22 - 57% - drops to 0
40.↑ - 77%
53.↑ 60 -62% - drops to 0
59 - 49% - drops to 0
65 - 37% - drops to 0

With Preamplifier

2- 87%
4.↑- 73-80% - drops to 0
11.↑ - 82%
13.↑ - 77%
16.↑ - 85%
19 - 82% drops to 0
22 - 60 - 62% - drops to 0
40.↑ - 77%
53.↑ 62 -66% - drops to 0
59 - 60 - 62% - drops to 0
65 - 37% - drops to 0

I agree with all of you that it's most likely that the antenna is off by degrees, but finding someone who's knowledgeable with Ohm's law and the ability to read a compass correctly here in Pittsburgh/Glassport area are very few and far between. I only have 3 companies that do antenna installs here (very limited), one who did this job, another that hasn't done installs long and not very good references, and the third person I talked to yesterday is recovering from surgery right now, and won't be available for a while. The third person seems very knowledgeable and with good references.

I should also explain that I'm down in a valley with hills all around me. I had to do a rooftop mount because of a neighbors trees were blocking the direct path (line of sight) to the area where the antenna needed to be pointed.

I am NOT an installer by trade, but I am an electronic/computer technician. So I am very familiar with compass orientation and pointing, how to do cable runs, grounding and electronic idiosyncrasies. I will admit I am not familiar with TV antenna's that's why I came here, to seek knowledge from the experts.

What I really need is a good installer that knows what their doing. Does anyone know of a KNOWLEDGEABLE antenna installer here in Pittsburgh/Glassport area???

The only thing that's stopping me from correcting the situation myself is my back.

Thanks for any and all assistance you knowledgeable people can give me.

Last edited by dwbsr; 28-Apr-2013 at 7:18 PM. Reason: added info
dwbsr is offline   Reply With Quote