TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:11 AM   #1
robk

Antenna and preamp help

Looking for recommendations on what antenna i should be using. I'd like to pickup all the green and yellow channels if possible.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f031203c8530

I'm leaning towards a Winegard HD7696P, but i'm open to other suggestions.

Also can you suggest a preamp?

Thanks for the help!
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:18 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'd back down to an HD7694P which has a bit wider forward beam... Split the aim point between the two groups of signals at 344° and 008° magnetic.

The gain of the antenna should be enough... I'd not buy a preamp or distribution amplifier until I proved the need. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

I realize this is a bit different take on your situation than what I offered back in 2012... I'm older, I'll let others decide if I'm any wiser.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Mar-2015 at 1:21 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:26 AM   #3
robk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I'd back down to an HD7694P which has a bit wider forward beam... Split the aim point between the two groups of signals at 344° and 008° magnetic.

The gain of the antenna should be enough... I'd not buy a preamp or distribution amplifier until I proved the need. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

I realize this is a bit different take on your situation than what I offered back in 2012... I'm older, I'll let others decide if I'm any wiser.
Thanks. I know most of my neighbors have a preamp, but i'm now wondering if they've never tried without one. I do have a lot of trees around, i'm going to try and put this antenna in a more open area and see what happens.
Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:30 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Re-reading your thread from 2012, I see you brought up the issue of getting an NBC affiliate.

Per rabbitears.info, W27AU carries 'NBC' and 'Antenna TV' networks, so the HD7694P should get all the major networks for you. http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=W27AU#station

I should emphasize the importance of mounting so as to avoid aiming through obstructions such as trees and nearby structures. (Oops, I see you're already are aware of that... we posted at nearly the same time.)

Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:35 AM   #5
robk

WFXS is also a channel i've had a lot of issues getting. I do have a Antennas Direct DB4e and i've tried countless things to try and pickup with the DB4e but rarely have any luck. I'm thinking i need to go higher as i'm only about 25 feet above the ground.

this was using the CPA-19 preamp.
Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:41 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Per your reception prediction, WFXS should be fairly easy to receive... Experimenting with alternate mounting locations and heights would be my next step. If the CPA-19 is still working, there would be no need to replace it.

Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:46 AM   #7
robk

Quote:
Per your reception prediction, WFXS should be fairly easy to receive... Experimenting with alternate mounting locations and heights would be my next step. If the CPA-19 is still working, there would be no need to replace it.
I havent tried it in a while, as its getting warm here, i'm going to try it again though, so i posted again.

I dont have the CPA-19 anymore. I used it at one of my buddies houses to get his setup working.

What would you suggest as a pre-amp if i need one? I see the CPA-19 is discontinued.
Old 17-Mar-2015, 1:50 AM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The "Juice" recently replaced the CPA19.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2015, 3:47 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The "Juice" recently replaced the CPA19.
My physical therapist had to talk me out of climbing on my roof just this morning... I'm antsy to swap the 'Juice' sample I've had for several weeks and want to see how it does in the place of my TVPRAMP1R. (Shoulder surgery back in December has made it unsafe for me to be on a ladder.) I also have a brand new DB8E sitting here 'screaming' that I need to quit listening to the wife and PT, and just go for it.

But seriously, I hope to be able to post my experience with both items soon.

Old 19-Mar-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
robk

I was able to do some testing with my DB4e that I have and was able to pickup WHRM and WFXS so this is great. I'm not able to pick up W27AU though. W27AU isn't a deal breaker, but it would be nice. I do have my antenna mounted only about 10 feet off the ground currently though. I am getting a mast and will mount the antenna higher then.

My question is when I get the 7694P should I use both the DB4e and the 7694P or should I rely on the 7694P for both UHF and VHF?

Thanks again.
Old 20-Mar-2015, 6:53 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

In my first post to this thread, I didn't know you have a DB4E. There is an alternative to the HD7694P... But first, if you're not getting W27AU (a translator/fill-in for WJFW, NBC) with the DB4E, then I have to ask, 'what lengths are you willing and able to go to, to overcome the obstructions caused by the trees?"

Old 20-Mar-2015, 7:00 PM   #12
robk

Quote:
In my first post to this thread, I didn't know you have a DB4E. There is an alternative to the HD7694P... But first, if you're not getting W27AU (a translator/fill-in for WJFW, NBC) with the DB4E, then I have to ask, 'what lengths are you willing and able to go to, to overcome the obstructions caused by the trees?"
Sorry, I actually forgot I had one.

I'm willing to give anything a try as long as it's not going to break the bank. NBC isn't a deal breaker. Most NFL games are on Fox and cbs and so far Fox has come in perfectly. With the HD7694P I'm assuming cbs will also.

The trees are in my neighbors yard so cutting them down isn't exactly an option. I'm hoping I could go higher with the mast or maybe upgrade to a DB8e?
Old 21-Mar-2015, 5:42 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Trees, even a single tree, can easily make the information in a reception prediction irrelevant. Though trees will reduce signal strength, that's quite often not the most significant problem. Moving tree limbs and foliage cause signals to fluctuate in strength. That makes the automatic gain control and equalizers in the tuner adjust to the changing conditions, and if the adjustments can't be made quickly enough, the tuner will loose lock on the incoming signal or possibly never achieve a lock. Simply going to a bigger antenna may not solve the problem in this scenario.

If you can get a clear shot at the northern horizon, I expect the DB4E to offer you all the UHF signals down to and including W27AU. To add reliable reception of real CH-7 & CH-9, a cut to band High-VHF antenna such as the Antennas Direct CS5 or Antennacraft Y5713 would do well. The two antenna can be combined reliably using a UHF/VHF signal combiner.