TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Dec-2013, 9:15 PM   #1
Eldrick

Looking to try this - need antenna advice

Wife would kill me if I try some big antenna on the roof...

Any chance this: ANT751R http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would work here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2b6e3ede7a

to get channels at both 70 and 140?
I'm guessing unlikely.

Thanks for your thoughts
Eldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Dec-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
------
A Simple reception situation.

Yes, Many Canada and USA , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels will be received.

Yes , install the ANT751 , aka , ANT751R antenna above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , East North , East , South East , South , South West.

Aim the ANT751 , aka , ANT751R antenna at about 150 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antenna , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------

A antenna system signal amplifier will not be required for 1 and 2 Tv's connected.

-------

www.saveandreplay.com

www.trentondistributors.com

www.amazon.ca

www.amazon.com

Last edited by teleview; 22-Dec-2013 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 20-Dec-2013, 4:47 PM   #3
Eldrick

Thanks!
Looking forward to this
Old 20-Dec-2013, 8:48 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-------
The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Digital Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channels scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for channels.

------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

The best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least pint to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.
Old 30-Jan-2015, 2:19 PM   #5
Eldrick

Bumping an old post. Finally getting to this. Hooked up the RCA antenna as listed above.

Here is what I am looking at (slightly different location):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c155f3404c2f7

Iget NBC, CBS and PBS, no problem. I know that ABC is not happening with this antenna, but I can't seem to get FOX yet - and I think I should be able to.
I know I may not have quite the right antenna for the job, but are there tips I may not be aware of for trying to tune it in. My tv tuner just has auto scan, so I don't know how to search for that specific channel (44.1).

Thanks for any advice. Cant get over how outstanding the HD picture quality is!

Last edited by Eldrick; 30-Jan-2015 at 2:32 PM.
Old 30-Jan-2015, 3:06 PM   #6
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrick View Post
Bumping an old post. Finally getting to this. Hooked up the RCA antenna as listed above.

Here is what I am looking at (slightly different location):
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c155f3404c2f7

Iget NBC, CBS and PBS, no problem. I know that ABC is not happening with this antenna, but I can't seem to get FOX yet - and I think I should be able to.
I know I may not have quite the right antenna for the job, but are there tips I may not be aware of for trying to tune it in. My tv tuner just has auto scan, so I don't know how to search for that specific channel (44.1).

Thanks for any advice. Cant get over how outstanding the HD picture quality is!
Tune the television to CBS or NBC, adjust the antenna for the most stable picture and do a rescan. Also, on direct channel entry, try 43.1 or 43 followed by a period or hyphen, then adjust the antenna as needed. Don't be surprised if you see nothing initially, since digital televisions typically don't show a picture unless a usable signal is present. Additionally, I wouldn't give up on ABC so easily. It is in exactly the same direction as the stations you are receiving now and your antenna is perfectly capable of receiving it. Real channel 13.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 3:09 PM   #7
Eldrick

I will try this, and report back. (maybe not this -25 weekend, but asap!)
Thanks!
Can't believe I waited this long to try this...
Old 30-Jan-2015, 5:18 PM   #8
Jake V

What direction is your antenna aimed at? I'd aim it for the ABC channel you want (167 degrees on a compass). Your locals are strong and close, so you'd likely get them.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 5:26 PM   #9
Eldrick

I have it aimed at or close to 167. Local Montreal channels have very good signal strength still, from behind antenna.
Finally found out (I think) how to manually add channel to Samsung TV, so I will try that (and fine tune) once I am home.
I should say I still haven't entirely decided where to permanently mount the antenna yet, so some of my issues might be with the 'farmer fix' mounting right now. I'll report back later today.
Old 30-Jan-2015, 5:44 PM   #10
No static at all

I am assuming the antenna is outside? Have you tried raising/lowering the antenna a few inches at a time?

The Fox station is 70 miles away so you may have to play with different heights or a different mount locations to find a sweet spot.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 5:50 PM   #11
Eldrick

Yes, it is outside on an old satellite mast. Will not allow for much movement in height adjustment.
This is side of house dish mount though, so I'm sure it is not ideal. I will experiment with roof mounts in various locations / heights when it's not -20 and snowing!

Thanks again to everyone for their helpful responses/suggestions... I really have no idea what I'm doing
Old 30-Jan-2015, 7:30 PM   #12
Eldrick

Very disappointed with this Samsung TV.
No signal meter. No way to manually add channels.
Will have to wait for Newegg to deliver my $35 Homeworx DVR/tuner. No other way to realistically do anything until then. Nothing else to test it with.
Sigh...
Oh well. Superbowl with the real commercials will will have to get me through the weekend
Old 30-Jan-2015, 7:35 PM   #13
Jake V

RE: Samsung - Try using your remote to just manually tune to the real channel number. Don't enter programming mode or anything. Just enter "13" for ABC and see what happens. For my Samsung it will tune to the channel (and maybe find nothing) but you can at least look at the signal strength).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 7:49 PM   #14
Eldrick

Thanks. Just tried that.
TV looks for 'DTV air' for a second, then 'air', then snow and simply says 'weak or no signal'.
No meter. No help. No nothing.
Old 30-Jan-2015, 10:41 PM   #15
No static at all

Are you sure there isn't a signal meter somewhere in one of the menu options? That's the only place my Samsung had one.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 10:43 PM   #16
Eldrick

OK. Will check again. Try to find it, or a manual. Will look. Thanks!
Old 31-Jan-2015, 3:39 AM   #17
Eldrick

Signal strength meter on Samsung found here
Menu > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal strength

Thanks!
Old 4-Feb-2015, 7:21 PM   #18
Eldrick

Is the map accurate in any way regarding antenna height?
Whether I 5 ft above ground or 60 feet, results are approximately the same.
I've seen other example here where this is not the case.
Thanks!
Old 4-Feb-2015, 8:44 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

If you had edge path conditions and could raise the antenna to line of sight (LOS) conditions, I'd expect to see a big improvement. But because you are already high enough to have LOS conditions, I wouldn't expect the signal strength to change much.

You have a very good signal report. The signal from WVNY faces a significant challenge though... The powerful signal on real CH-12, CFCF is predicted to be more than 38 dB stronger than WVNY's signal. With that much difference in power levels, the tiny amount of 'out-of-channel' emissions from CFCF can easily be a source of strong interference to WVNY's signal.

I'd try using a full size High_VHF antenna pointed directly at WVNY. One Antennacraft Y10713 would be the tool I'd pick for the job. It's even possible that two Y10713's in a stagger stack arrangement may be needed. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024 The goal of stagger stacking would be to reduce the amount of signal received through the rear of the antenna array.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Feb-2015 at 8:55 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2015, 7:14 PM   #20
Eldrick

Bumping.
Finally permanently mounted antenna.
Can now get Fox. Can not get ABC. I'm assuming this antenna not good enough for VHF. Get 23 channels, and can live without ABC, just.... you know!
Could have gone 5 feet higher, maybe.... but not without almost killing myself.
Might it help?