TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Jul-2011, 8:50 PM   #1
Wally9mm

Reception for NYC OTA Area -WNJB/WLIW

I am located in Queens County NY, one of the five boroughs of NYC and have no problems getting the major local signals.

I am specifically trying to lock in/improve a WNJB signal, whose transmitter I think is located in New Brunswick NJ and WLIW transmitter located in Plainview LI. Currently, the reception is either non-existent or spotty at best.

According to the TVSAR, I aimed my antenna(s) to WNJB’s transmitter (39.6 miles) at magnetic bearing 270 using a calibrated digital compass. Although WLIW (16.8 miles) is approximately 180 degrees out of phase at 95 degrees magnetic and only 16.8 miles from my location, I was unable to pick up any WLIW signal.

However, I have had limited success in getting a WNJB signal for all the HDTVs in my home. I am looking at using Radioshack Bi-directional Cable TV Amplifier (15-2505/15-2506) or RS In-line TV Antenna Signal Amplifier (1500369) for TV (No. 2).

Reception for WNJB: No reception at TV (No 2).
Very limited reception at TV (No. 3 and TV No. 4)
Very good reception at TV (No. 1)

Rooftop Reception Equipment:

Antennacraft HD850: Connected to TV (No. 3) and HDD/DVD Recorder using signal splitter. Approximate RG-59 cable length from antenna 125 feet. Separately connected to TV (No. 1) using 75 feet RG-59.

RadioShack® U-75R UHF Antenna: connected directly to HD850 lead-in terminals.

Radioshack VU 90: Connected to TV (No. 4) using 65 feet RG-6 and to TV (No. 2) 200 feet RG-59. Each connected at antenna lead-in terminals using separate cable.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d9c78d1fd99f
Wally9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2011, 7:29 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

As always with these jumbled up situations it's time to go to the basics. A UHF/VHF antenna needs to be aimed in the direction of 270 true - 281 degree magnetic compass. With a known to be good matching transformer connected to the Tv antenna , connect a known to be good RG-6 coax from the antenna direct to one Tv. No splitters , No amplifiers , No amplifier power supplies , No nothing other then a , Antenna a matching transformer and a coax cable direct to the one Tv. Do not use RG59 coax. Use known to be good RG-6 coax. Now how far down the list of stations call signs/channels can be received?? Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695. The Tv must scan for the broadcast Tv channels , not the cable Tv channels.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Jul-2011 at 7:50 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2011, 7:48 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Is this a old house that has been wired with RG-59?? Has the house been wired in the daisy chain method of wiring. The daisy chain method of wiring is , the coax starts at a place and the coax goes to a location , from that first location another coax goes to second location and from that second location another coax goes to a third location and from that third location , another coax goes to a forth location and so forth.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2011, 8:07 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

JC is on track with his questions / test suggestions. It sounds like antennas may be interconnected in ways that allow for undesirable interactions... It will be helpful to know each antennas individual performance.

WNJB, real channel 8 is adjacent to WABC, real channel 7 which is about 1000 times (30 dB) more powerful at your location. Adjacent channel interference from just 10° off the same azimuth is going to be very challenging to overcome with such a power differential.

WLIW should be 'do-able'... with a moderate gain UHF aimed at it (95° mag.).

If the amps are returnable, go ahead try them... I expect they will make matters worse though, due to noise and inter-modulation distortion produced inside the amplifier circuitry. Your TVFR does not indicate a need for an amplifier... It indicates against one due to the multitude of powerful signals which certainly includes many FM stations.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Jul-2011 at 8:16 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2011, 7:28 PM   #5
Wally9mm

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, other than one splitter going to DVD recorder and TV3, I used individual separate cables going to each TV. I can get a WNJB signal out of the splitter at DVD/TV3 and TV4, but it drops out at times.

Although RG-6 is superior to RG-59, WNJB comes in pretty solid all the time for TV1 using RG-59. I am assuming that this is because of the low cable run of 75 feet.

I wanted to try using an amplifier to get a signal to TV2. RS has two; a 2 piece In-line TV Antenna Signal Amplifier and a Bi-directional Cable TV Amplifier.

“A UHF/VHF antenna needs to be aimed in the direction of 270 true - 281 degree magnetic compass.”

BTW according to the radar map WNJB is 257 true and 270 magnetic”.
Wally9mm is offline   Reply With Quote