TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Nov-2013, 7:24 AM   #1
fishnugget

New House Please recommend an antenna

Hello TV Fools,

I just bought a new house please recommend a new antenna for me. I am tired of getting ripped off by my cable provider.

Here is my report in my area,

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae7185c6d754
fishnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Nov-2013, 7:51 AM   #2
fishnugget

Sorry guys, Im still a little new at this...

I revised my report for a precise location...check it out and let me know.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae8677fe7ecf
Old 17-Nov-2013, 7:55 AM   #3
StephanieS

Hi fishnugget,

Your radar plot, while not down to your specific address, gives a reasonable indication that you are in a good place for reception.

I would suggest your rerun your radar plot with the specific address and the antenna height you intend to operate at.

That said, a cursory examination shows you don't need a lot of horsepower. You are close and if installing on your roof with a clear line of sight and if your radar plot at your address is as good as your block level, a RCA ANT751 ought to do the job nicely.

I would point it near magnetic 310 running a single line of coax into your TV. You don't specify your situation, if you want more run to more than one TV or not. If you are running a long run and/or splitting the cable to different TVs you may need some additional equipment.

That said though, the ANT751 is nice early candidate for your situation.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Nov-2013, 8:10 AM   #4
fishnugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieS View Post
Hi fishnugget,

Your radar plot, while not down to your specific address, gives a reasonable indication that you are in a good place for reception.

I would suggest your rerun your radar plot with the specific address and the antenna height you intend to operate at.

That said, a cursory examination shows you don't need a lot of horsepower. You are close and if installing on your roof with a clear line of sight and if your radar plot at your address is as good as your block level, a RCA ANT751 ought to do the job nicely.

I would point it near magnetic 310 running a single line of coax into your TV. You don't specify your situation, if you want more run to more than one TV or not. If you are running a long run and/or splitting the cable to different TVs you may need some additional equipment.

That said though, the ANT751 is nice early candidate for your situation.
Thanks Steph,

I updated my report, I am so new at this, I have not figured all the terminology but if the signal is good enough I would run it to multiple TV's. I think I would first try 1 TV and see how it goes from there. But thanks for the antenna recommendation. It looks like I will have a hard time getting CBS and Fox, they are gray, no?
Old 17-Nov-2013, 8:30 AM   #5
StephanieS

Hey Fishnugget,

I was doing an edit when I was logged out.

Palm Springs has 2 sources available for FOX, CBS and The CW on air. If wikipedia is right, CBS is available on KPSP (RF 38), FOX is on KDFX (RF 33) and The CW is on KEWQ (RF 26, which is odd, TV fool doesn't list it but the FCC's data and wikipedia say it exists).

In addition to the those low powered signals, KESQ (ABC) also offers them in 480i on their digital subchannels.

How long of a coax run will have before splitting to separate TVs? I currently have an ANT751 with a 100' drop, then it hits an A/B switch, then splits off to a 20 and 50' additional lead to each TV. In this situation, the ANT751 provides stable signal to the TV farthest downlead.

Of interest for you, I receive a 225w translator at 55 miles that is LOS and 17 db of strength and it is reliable.

Your question about FOX (KDFX) and CBS (KPSP) shouldn't be a problem as both are between 30 and 40 db, which is plenty of signal for the ANT751 to work with. I have found with my ANT751, as long as you are working with line of sight conditions and signal strengths above 15 db, chances are in your favor of stable reception. That puts you all the way down to to KRET @ 21.8 db as your likely weakest reliable channel as the ANT751 can receive both green and yellow shaded channels in line of sight conditions. The red shaded areas require the horsepower and grey areas, that's where you start needing to spend potentially a lot more than $100, and even then you may not receive a gray area channel.

I think you are in a position to do quite well. The lower powered signals for FOX and CBS may require aiming closer to magnetic 292. I am pretty certain though you should see both the lower powered KDFX and KPSP. I'm not sure what your viewing preferences are, but looks like many of big english networks at on the magnetic 292 tower.

That's the nice thing about desert areas, less tree obstructions! In my neck of the woods 100' tall evergreens can give headaches!

Last edited by StephanieS; 17-Nov-2013 at 8:43 AM.
Old 17-Nov-2013, 8:49 AM   #6
fishnugget

Thanks for looking those channels up Steph, now I am more interested in actually doing this. I can't really say how long my coax cable will be to my farthest TV from eye balling, I have to measure it out. There is only 1 tv that could be greater than 100ft, but I have my doubts.

I think I may have bought that antenna when I was in living in San Diego CA, some years ago. It looks to be very popular but I think I returned it. Now that I am in a better signal area I may have to buy it again and try it out. Ill have to hit up the local stores in case I may need to return it.

Yes the desert is nice, but stay away in the summer, it gets 125F over here.
Old 17-Nov-2013, 9:04 AM   #7
StephanieS

Glad to help out.

The ANT751 is a great little antenna that if put in the wrong conditions can bomb badly. The amazon reviews, they are overwhelmingly positive, however there are some really nasty ones too - one even called the antenna junk. It's not junk, it's a local or suburban antenna designed for moderate to good signals areas and line of sight conditions. Then it rocks on. Put an ANT751 where there are weak signal areas, obstructions or 1 or 2 edge blocked pathways - it will fail every time.

I've been in your neck of the woods. I grew up in the high desert in WA, where 110 isn't out of the ordinary in the summer.

I have a two antenna set up, the ANT751 for the locals at 15 miles, and a Antennas Direct 91xg which is an aggressive high gain yagi. The ANT751 catches all my locals except one or two shielded by terrain (those aren't ones I want anyway). The 91xg is fun because I chased one of those red shaded signals at 7 db signal strength and 1-edge path obstruction. I'm mostly successful, however when working with signals that weak, the weather and atmosphere can cause break ups in the signal.

Good luck with your reception!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnugget View Post
Thanks for looking those channels up Steph, now I am more interested in actually doing this. I can't really say how long my coax cable will be to my farthest TV from eye balling, I have to measure it out. There is only 1 tv that could be greater than 100ft, but I have my doubts.

I think I may have bought that antenna when I was in living in San Diego CA, some years ago. It looks to be very popular but I think I returned it. Now that I am in a better signal area I may have to buy it again and try it out. Ill have to hit up the local stores in case I may need to return it.

Yes the desert is nice, but stay away in the summer, it gets 125F over here.
Old 17-Nov-2013, 9:41 AM   #8
StephanieS

A last bit of info, KDFX (RF 33) appears to be analog for the time being. KDFX-CA is digital (RF 39) and provides high definition FOX network programming. Thus, you have 3 FOX broadcast sources!

Last edited by StephanieS; 17-Nov-2013 at 9:48 AM.