TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
agn015

Help with Reception - Mohu Leaf/Sky

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum but it looks like everyone is very helpful here.

I have a Mohu Leaf that I bought when I lived closer to NYC. It worked great in the attic of that house picking up all of the major networks and splitting that signal to every TV in the house. All I wanted it for was the major networks so I was very happy with it.

However, I just moved further from NYC and only get the following channels when I put the leaf upstairs. I don't get CBS (2-1, 2-2) downstairs. This house doesn't have cable run yet so for now I have to keep the antenna close to the TV.

2-1, 2-2
21-1, 21-2, 21-3
55-1
67-1, 67-2, 67-3, 67-4

I ordered an open box Mohu Sky that will be here next week and I'm wondering if it will be strong enough. It was only $75 (with super25 discount code) and if it doesn't work I can return it. But based on Mohu's web site, it says I will be able to pull in signal from all major networks and so far they've been accurate with their channel listings. Do you guys think this antenna will be enough or should I start researching other options?

I plan to put the Sky inside on the 1st floor until the weather warms up and I can mount it properly on the roof. What do you think?

Here's my report for 8ft off the ground (1st floor install)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3f2298be9683

My second report for 25ft off the ground (roof install)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3f7afa9f2093
agn015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Mohu does not publish any technical or performance data for their products, so it's pretty much impossible to estimate what the antenna may or may not do in any given location.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 20-Feb-2015 at 12:34 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
agn015

Gotcha. Then I'll just have to trust what they say and experiment on my own.

What would you recommend for my location instead?
Old 20-Feb-2015, 5:38 PM   #4
ADTech

That would depend on what stations are on you "must have" list.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 20-Feb-2015, 5:41 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Based on the shape of the Mohu Sky product, one can reasonably deduce that it is likely just a basic dipole antenna that would offer basic coverage of the UHF and part of the VHF band... little more than a weatherized version of a set top 'rabbit-ear' style antenna. The amplifier is of little use if there is no long cable run or splitting loss to deal with. The built in amplifier does not add to the inherent reception ability of the antenna.

If I was trying to achieve maximum reception of all the available NYC stations, I'd mount a Winegard HD7084P outside with as clear a view to the west as I could find.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 7:15 PM   #6
ADTech

My take is a bit different. I suspect inside the plastic it actually looks like an enlarged version of one of our directors off our 43XG or 91XG. Basically a large fan-dipole that should be bi-directional, definitely not omnidirectional as claimed.

As for the amp, it's not built in, at least not anymore. It's now the same external indoor amp that they now sell packaged with the "Leaf 50". I tested it last fall and found it was a huge disappointment compared to their original black-cased Jolt amp. It's a lot different in terms of noise figure, gain, intermodulation resistance, stray signal ingress, and no longer has any internal filtering that was in the first version of their Jolt. Of course, they've never acknowledged that they changed the amp, their advertising and marketing claims remain the same. I guess this is what happens to a product when you get it into Walmart and they want it at a much lower price.

Old 20-Feb-2015, 8:37 PM   #7
agn015

Thanks for the feedback guys!

My must have list is basically fox, cbs, nbc, pbs, abc, my9, cw. All of the major local networks.

This may be the older style sky, but this video shows what it looks like if you take it apart @ about the 2 minute mark... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g2Cnu8Kvmc

ADTech, why didn't you take the one you tested apart last fall? If you want, when I get mine I can take it apart for you and post some pictures here.

If the Sky doesn't work well would my best bet be to go with something like that Winegard HD7084P? I was considering something like the Clearstream 2V if it would work for my location. Didn't really want to put a bulky antenna on the roof unless I had to.
Old 20-Feb-2015, 8:55 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

If the programming on WJLP is of no interest to you, the Low-VHF (real channels 2 through 6) capability of the HD7084P is not going to add any useful reception. Instead a more compact antenna or set of antennas could be used.

If you have an unobstructed view toward NYC a small antenna such as the C2V may work... However, I'd opt for an antenna that qualifies as a 'fringe' or 'deep-fringe' design. At present, the combination of an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + preamp (AD Juice or RCA TVPRAMP1R) is at the top of the performance list and is certainly not overkill for conditions such as shown in your report.

Other options such as the Winegard HD7698P or Antennacraft HBU-44 are valid in this case as well.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
ADTech

Quote:
ADTech, why didn't you take the one you tested apart last fall? If you want, when I get mine I can take it apart for you and post some pictures here.
I haven't had a Sky in my hands yet. It, and several other small outdoor antennas, are on my radar for this spring, depending on our Marketing Department's whims. I've tested the Leaf and the indoor amps, though.