TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Mar-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
Trandy

Newbie Needs Some Help...One TV Not Getting All The Channels

The TV in our bedroom is not receiving "all" the channels that the other four TV's we have in our house have no problem receiving.

That television is at the end of the chain antenna-wise.....it is the longest run of cable compared to the other four.

We currently have an "active/powered" roof antenna approximately 30-35 feet above the ground....it is at the peak of our roof of our two-story home.

Here's the questions:

1. Would an amplifier help with this problem?

2. What sort of amplifier is needed since we have an "active/powered" antenna. (I've been doing some reading here while I was waiting for my account to be activated and it seems you don't want "too" much gain or things turn to mush.)

3. Where would be the best place to place this antenna? Near the errant television? Or at the beginning of the cable run?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

BTW....I don't know the model number of our antenna but I have included a photo of it for any eagle-eye experts out there.

Last edited by Trandy; 1-Mar-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Trandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You already have an amplified antenna, it would be a rare occurrence to actually require an additional amplifier unless it's necessary to overcome some other fault in the system.

Your current antenna appears to be from Digitenna who seems to keep most of the specific information about their antennas and amps pretty to themselves, their website gives few details. You might want to contact them to see if they can give you some details about it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
JoeAZ

You may want to swap out the television having the issues
with one of your other sets. If the problem continues at that
location with a different set, then the issue is probably the
long cable run. If the problem is resolved, then the tuner
in that set is less capable than the others. Additional amplification
will likely cause more problems than it solves. A dedicated
antenna for that tv/location may be your best option.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2019, 1:17 PM   #4
rickbb

I had a TV at the end of a long run like yours, and added a Wineguard amp that was adjustable, I'm at work now or I'd get you the exact model. I think it was a LNA200, but not sure. It helped in that case.

But,

Do the test as Joe suggested first, if both TV's show the same symptoms then it's the long run. Then either try a separate antenna, (best solution), or try a low power/adjustable line amp.

If you go the amp route make sure it's a low power or can be adjusted to just the minimum power needed. Since the TV is "almost" getting enough signal it will be easy to overload the tuner. Also put it on the coax that just supplies that one TV only.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2019, 1:52 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If you want an inexpensive amp that "good enough" for such testing, run by Walmart and pick up one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Indoor-Passive-Antenna-Amplifier-Onb17Ch001/248780245

On second thought, pick up two of them. The first one I picked up for analysis was dead. Second one was okay.

Rick,

Sounds like you may have the HDA-200.

Do be cautious with amps that are "adjustable". Most of the ones that I've examined simply put a variable attenuator in front of the amplification module which really ruins the noise figure at the amp's input. I haven't examined the HDA200 to see if it's done that way or if they engineered it to truly vary the gain without affecting the noise figure.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Trandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
If you want an inexpensive amp that "good enough" for such testing, run by Walmart and pick up one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Indoor-Passive-Antenna-Amplifier-Onb17Ch001/248780245

On second thought, pick up two of them. The first one I picked up for analysis was dead. Second one was okay.

Rick,

Sounds like you may have the HDA-200.

Do be cautious with amps that are "adjustable". Most of the ones that I've examined simply put a variable attenuator in front of the amplification module which really ruins the noise figure at the amp's input. I haven't examined the HDA200 to see if it's done that way or if they engineered it to truly vary the gain without affecting the noise figure.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I’m going to get one of the lower power amplifiers and give it a whirl...I’ll post the results here.
Trandy is offline   Reply With Quote