TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Nov-2012, 5:23 PM   #1
bobo007

Got some amazing signals! Need help to optimize :)

Hey all!

Newbie here.
Before dishing out cash on my own equipment I borrowed my father's TERK antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-FDTV1A-Di.../dp/B001UE8KUW

I plugged it into my LG HDTV, turned on the amp that came with it and started scanning last night. With it out on the deck in the yard, it caught a stunning 20 channels nearly all watchable in full HD! I had it pointed north and was able to catch ABC as well.

Today I did the map from my home and noticed that there are two strong towers coming from 60 degrees and 141 degrees so I tried pointing it mid-way (around 80 degrees) from the roof of my garage. I caught ~17 channels which were very watchable except for the american ones which kind of broke up

Here is the map:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49c1f799467f

Now, since this antenna is doing a good job I'm thinking of keeping it...but it's indoor so I tested it in the attic today. Works nearly as well as outside in both North-ish and South-ish directions...but it is a little worse that outside (I have metal siding on the sides of the house).

I have tried it without the amp like some suggest it overloads the antenna, but it's MUCH worse without it.

I could use some advice on...
- whether I should stick with this antenna and find the optimal location
- which direction should I be pointing my antenna based on the map to get the most variety of quality channels
- does it matter how long my coax cable is? I'm using a 100foot currently
- should I get an directional antenna instead?
- or maybe get a 4-8 bay amplified and stick it in the attic hopefully pointing it in both directions?
- and finally, I'm weary on putting it on the roof as I hear weather will impact signal...especially in our harsh winters here in Montreal

Phew!!! So many questions

SUPER excited that we get such a nice signal here, but I just want to optimize.

Thank you all in advance!!!!
-Bartek
bobo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Nov-2012, 7:09 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Attic mounting adds the negative effect of building materials and does not overcome th effect of weather related impairments. Outdoor mounting is going to provide a more reliable result than indoor or attic mounting in nearly all cases. Metal siding needs to be avoided, it block and reflects signals.

If I were in your situation, I'd point an RCA ANT-751 at the main group of signals (80° compass).

I would use a separate antenna to chase the US stations. The high gain and wide beam of the Antennas Direct DB4e would be my choice. Combining two UHF antennas is not practical for most situations, you may want to consider using this method, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882 I would start with the aim split between S & SW. This antenna needs to be place outside, in the clear, high as safety and practicality allow.

Cable has loss. The longer the cable the more signal is converted to heat before reaching the tuner. RG-6 has about 5 to 6 dB loss per 100'. Splitters are another common cause of signal loss. Typical loss values for splitters are; 2-way, 4 dB. 4-way, 8 dB. 8-way, 12 dB. A preamplifier or distribution amplifier can be used to overcome loss in cable and splitters, but amplifiers do not make a weak antenna stronger. Amplifiers add some noise and distortion, so use one only if the need truly exists.

In the case the weaker signals from the south, an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp may be needed.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Nov-2012 at 7:14 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Nov-2012, 9:26 AM   #3
teleview

The Tv transmissions are strong signal strength , I recommend above the roof install a ANT751 aimed at about 128 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The 128 degree aim direction is a in between aim direction for reception of the Canada and USA Digital Tv stations/channels.

I think WCFE at 197 degree magnetic compass direction and the group of Tv stations at 83 degree magnetic compass direction and the Digital Tv stations in between will be received in the Current Plus Pending Applications Digital Tv stations channel list in the Green and Yellow reception zones.

For 1 Tv connected use no splitter. No preamplifier.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter. No preamplifier.

Some common Tv antenna mounts are , tripod antenna mount , eave antenna mount , chimney antenna mount.

Here are some places to buy antenna and etc., http://www.saveandreplay.com , http://www.trentondistributors.com , http://www.amazon.ca , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com

Last edited by teleview; 30-Nov-2012 at 4:40 AM.
Old 27-Nov-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
bobo007

Thank you so much for your input! I have a local store here that sells some equipment and they are suggesting I tre mounting one of those 8-bay Digiwave ones on my roof and point either wing in the two strongest directions.

But that RCA antenna you suggest looks like people like it quite a bit! Do you think a directional one like that would be better than the 8-bay?

Bartek

edit: forgot to add that I get the best signal with the indoor TERK antenna (http://www.amazon.com/Terk-FDTV1A-Di.../dp/B001UE8KUW) when I put it outside. Does anyone know if this thing would survive? :P

Last edited by bobo007; 27-Nov-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 28-Nov-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
bobo007

Anyone?

A little update, someone suggested the CM5016 antenna pointed in the middle of the two towers with the 7777 preamp. Anyone have experience with these?

Thank you!
Old 29-Nov-2012, 5:09 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

I would not expect an indoor design such as the Terk HDTVi to hold up against the elements.

A CM-7777 is a weak signal, AKA, 'deep-fringe' amplifier. You should not use one, it will likely overload, which will hurt your reception, not help it. For the local signals, you have plenty of signal in the air. You need to put the antenna outside were it has unobstructed signal to receive. (You can add an amplifier later if you have many sets to connect.)
The 8-bay antennas are UHF only, you'd be missing several signals broadcasting on VHF channels.

The CM-5016 could be a substitute for the ANT-751. (Though here in the US it's twice as expensive.) I'm sticking to the ANT-751 suggestion unless you find the CM-5016 to be price competitive.

For the US stations, I'll amend my suggestion from the DB4e to a Winegard HD7694P... I overlooked the signal from WVNY on real CH-13.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
bobo007

GroundUrMast, thank you very much for your input! Man, I'm racking my brain trying to figure out which one to order now:

1) Winegard HD7694P
2) RCA ANT751R
3) CM5016/5018

Reading people's results on using the 751, it seems to sometimes outperform some more expensive ones! I'm rather impressed.

And from what I gather, a pre-amp should not be necessary in my situation then?
Also, I've been reading recently about these 3 bands that stations are transmitting on. I'd like to be "future proof" in case more channels will be added later on so I'd like to pick one that's open to that.

edit: forgot to add that purchasing the RCA will be much easier for me here in Canada, but if the others are far more superior, I don't mind paying more and going through the hassle

Last edited by bobo007; 29-Nov-2012 at 1:11 PM.
Old 29-Nov-2012, 4:13 PM   #8
elmo

Get the 751 as GUM recommended, esp if it's easier to purchase. A harder purchase would likely mean a harder return, if needed. You can easily add a preamp later, but doubt it's needed as you have good signal coming in.

FYI - more expensive doesn't mean they're better. They're likely larger, have more elements, etc - usually designed to reach further, which doesn't necessarily mean they work better for your "local" towers. For example, in your case, say you were able to pick up real Ch 19 (2.1) fine. Down the list is another real Ch 19. If you pull both of those, your tuner may struggle to sort it out for a clear picture. So sometimes, mega-range isn't the best thing to have.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2012, 4:19 PM   #9
bobo007

elmo, fantastic advice! you re-affirmed what I was already suspecting.
I can't believe the ANT751 is discontinued at many online retailers!? And the easiest/cheapest option for me is to order through amazon.com but that still brings me up to $80 after shipping
Old 29-Nov-2012, 4:31 PM   #10
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo007 View Post
elmo, fantastic advice! you re-affirmed what I was already suspecting.
I can't believe the ANT751 is discontinued at many online retailers!? And the easiest/cheapest option for me is to order through amazon.com but that still brings me up to $80 after shipping

I wouldn't worry too much about price.
It will pay for itself after just a few months.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2012, 4:33 PM   #11
bobo007

true, but if I'm at $80 already...might as well get something better locally? ie: winegard
but then like elmo said...I may not see any better results anyways.
Old 29-Nov-2012, 4:58 PM   #12
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo007 View Post
true, but if I'm at $80 already...might as well get something better locally? ie: winegard
but then like elmo said...I may not see any better results anyways.
While a better antenna may not do much for locals, it may give you a few more distant ones. I feel like I'm at the point now, where each additional channel I find, is just a duplicate of existing ones. Except for PBS, news and indies.

I wish I could pull in some of those Canucks, too.
Old 29-Nov-2012, 4:59 PM   #13
bobo007

That's what I suspect based on the duplicates on my map! I'm mainly concerned about my PBS and NBC signal being crappy right now.

I hope when I put it outside, I'll get a solid signal.

I'll keep you all posted
Old 29-Nov-2012, 5:15 PM   #14
Stereocraig

Yeah, who knows? Being LOS, is certainly a step in the right direction. Good luck!
Old 29-Nov-2012, 5:16 PM   #15
bobo007

So once I get a directional antenna like the 751, I should just simply try pointing it between the two main towers?
Old 29-Nov-2012, 9:44 PM   #16
teleview

The Canada and USA Tv stations are VERY WIDLEY SPACED , the ANT751 can receive widley spaced reception directions. The ANT751 receives the , front , front angles , back , back angles.

The bigger/larger a antenna is the More Directional the antenna becomes to the front of the antenna and receives less to the , front angles , back and back angles. A Tv antenna receives the least signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

THe ANT751 should receive all of the -->Receivable , Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Tv stations/channels down to and including WVNY-DT REAL VHF Digital channel 13 , virtual number (22.1) ABC.

Aim the ANT751 at a 128 in between aim direction of the Canada and USA channels.

As always the starting aim direction is the --> Starting aim direction.

The ANT751 can be turned to find a sweet spot.

The sweet spot will be the best reception of the USA stations with out losing any of the Canada Tv stations.

Most digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some also have a signal quality meter.
Old 30-Nov-2012, 1:27 AM   #17
meridish

Try here

HI,
Please try here. I hope you will get it in good price

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=4545184
Old 30-Nov-2012, 1:37 AM   #18
bobo007

Thank you, but that's .com...not .ca :P