TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Dec-2011, 2:48 AM   #1
eric12341

horrible reception in 60099

Ok so the cable got cut at my location at the beginning of this month due to economic hardships. Since then I've had to rely on OTA for my TV needs and has thus far been quite a frustrating experience:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12e25b992711

According to that report I should have no problems whatsoever picking up all the stations in green my actual results are very far from what's indicated in this report. I've so far tried 3 antennas (RCA ANT1450B,radio shack budget tv antenna,terk hdtvi and winegard hd1080) both inside at the highest point on the house besides the inaccessible attic and outside in my side yard im a chair facing the direction of the transmitters. These are the stations I so far can receive:

WBBMWMAQ,WLS,WGN,WTTW,WYCC,WCGV,WCIU,WFLD,WCPX,WSNSWPWR and WGBO. For the life of me I CANNOT get any combination of those 4 bolded stations in simultaneously and reliably without causing problems among them or on the other stations, sometimes knocking the others out completely. Right now I have the terk hdtvi sitting outside on this wooden pallet hooked up to the old cable line and so far 2 of those bolded stations are coming in reliably but however the rest of the non bolded stations are experiencing some kind of reception issue, if I move the antenna back into the chair I can get those other stations perfectly but not those 4 which I watch the most, its been either one or the other or none at all. My home is almost completely surrounded by trees and houses. So what exactly am I doing wrong and what antenna will I need to get at least all the stations in green reliably?
eric12341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2011, 5:29 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given the nearby trees and buildings, I would opt for a roof mounted antenna. If you want to try for reception of WOCK, real channel 4, a Winegard HD7015 or HD7080 would be appropriate.

At a minimum I would use an RCA ANT-751, the Winegard HD7694P would be a premium solution, though not overkill IMO. (These antennas lack support for real channels 2 - 6)

All of these antennas will be better at dealing with multipath than the antennas you've mentioned.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Dec-2011 at 6:01 PM. Reason: Sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2011, 5:40 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Let's see. Your thread over at AVS has 105 posts. Nothing there pan out?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2011, 5:52 PM   #4
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Install above the roof. For all the stations/channels in green at about 169 degree magnetic compass. And the stations/channels in the yellow zone in the same direction , down to at least WVPN-CD 20. . Install a Heavy Duty Long Lasting Winegard HD7084P antenna , the HD7084P antenna receives All the broadcast digital Tv Channels , 2 thru 6 , 7 thru 13 , 14 thru 69. Aimed at about 169 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com. . WOCK-CD 4 has this digital sub channel , http://americaone.com , and three other digital sub channels , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOCK-CD

Last edited by Electron; 29-Dec-2011 at 6:26 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Dec-2011, 6:23 PM   #5
Electron

Install and use New RG-6 coax cable on the outside and any where else that the coax might be bad.
Old 29-Dec-2011, 7:35 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Let's see. Your thread over at AVS has 105 posts. Nothing there pan out?
And an earlier thread that was closed by the moderator... A quick skim though leaves me thinking you have tried quite a few antennas and placements.

I suspect you're fighting the effects of building penetration losses, multipath, vegetation induced losses and signal reflections/attenuation caused by nearby structures. All of these issues are best dealt with by placement of the antenna in a location free of, or at least, less affected by these issues. Use of an antenna with more gain and directivity will combat these issues also, (but placing it in the basement will render it ineffective).

Several posters at AVS advised against using amplified antennas and accessory amplifiers. Your predicted signal levels support their caution. If you're splitting to many sets (more than four), you may need a distribution amplifier, but there is no point in spending money on one until you have a set of reliable signals worth distributing. Amplifiers are not effective at combating multipath.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Dec-2011 at 7:37 PM.
Old 30-Dec-2011, 4:27 AM   #7
eric12341

A roof antenna is not really feasible given that this is rented property,what would be a good low cost high gain antenna to use and mount easily below the roof level that will give me all the stations within a 100 mile radius? There are a couple small spots between trees in my neighbors yard that I aim the terk at and it gets tolerable results but it doesn't seem to like wind and can't pick up all the stations.
Old 30-Dec-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
A roof antenna is not really feasible given that this is rented property,what would be a good low cost high gain antenna to use and mount easily below the roof level that will give me all the stations within a 100 mile radius? There are a couple small spots between trees in my neighbors yard that I aim the terk at and it gets tolerable results but it doesn't seem to like wind and can't pick up all the stations.
There are no such antennas. I'm sorry, I did not author the laws of physics. Your expectations may need to be amended. "Reception of all stations within a 100 mile radius" and "low cost" are mutually exclusive terms.

Are you able and willing to install a tower several hundred feet high? 100 mile radius reception usually requires such effort and expense. Even then you'll be fighting with adjacent and co-channel interference from strong local signals. Here is what you could expect at 499', http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4033f36f586d09 Notice that every signal beyond 75 miles is still edge path and subject to adjacent and co-channel interference.

Several antennas have already been suggested. If you can not or will not consider mounting above the roof line, your reception prospects are going to be reduced. My previous recommendations stand without contradicting Electron's suggestion/recommendation.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Dec-2011 at 1:36 AM.
Old 2-Jan-2012, 2:45 AM   #9
eric12341

At the minimum I just want all the stations I mentioned as well as a few others without them going out all the time,especially when the wind blows (which is the case with the terk hdtvi I currently have outside now). Reason I mentioned 100 miles is cuz i wanted to try to get thecooltv from madison since its no longer available in milwaukee.this table in my yard has a hole for an umbrella,it seems that I can use this to mount an antenna,is there an antenna that comes with a mount thin enough to fit through that hole?
Old 2-Jan-2012, 4:47 PM   #10
Electron

The thread at AVS has 105 posts , WOW!
Old 2-Jan-2012, 8:04 PM   #11
Dave Loudin

Read and heed what we have already told. What you want is not physically possible!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2012, 4:01 AM   #12
eric12341

Yea I guess I'll put away the idea of getting WMSN (TheCoolTV), I do know that on some days in the past I was able to receive a couple stations from grand rapids and south bend. If this holds true then I may be able to get WOTY which is also TheCoolTV. I know this terk i have out there now won't get it as its barely getting the green stations so I'm willing to try these recommendations, which would be the easiest to setup and put together and do they come with mounts?
Old 5-Jan-2012, 5:54 AM   #13
MisterMe

Quote:
Yea I guess I'll put away the idea of getting WMSN (TheCoolTV), I do know that on some days in the past I was able to receive a couple stations from grand rapids and south bend. If this holds true then I may be able to get WOTY which is also TheCoolTV. I know this terk i have out there now won't get it as its barely getting the green stations so I'm willing to try these recommendations, which would be the easiest to setup and put together and do they come with mounts?
Not gonna happen. You are 100 miles from WMSN's transmitter in Madison. This places you way outside WMSN's coverage area. As for the Grand Rapides/Battle Creek TheCoolTV affiliiate, you are 130 miles from WOTV's transmitter--there is no WOTY-TV anywhere in the USA. Because most of the distance between WOTV and you is covered by Lake Michigan, your biggest impediments to receiving the station are the great distance and the curvature of the Earth. However, these place you even farther outside WOTV's coverage area than you are outside WMSN's coverage area.

Tropospheric ducting and other atmospheric anomalies may on occasion allow you to receive one or the other of these two stations. However, there is simply no way that you will ever receive either of them on a regular or predictable basis.

Currently, TheCoolTV has only two affiliates in Illinois and one in Wisconsin. None are close enough for you to receive them. Perhaps, the network will sign an affiliate in Chicago, Milwaukee, Kenosha, or Waukegan. Until that happens, you will have to find your music elsewhere.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2012, 2:55 PM   #14
lkruper

Quote:
If you really need this station and don't want to pay for cable, one thing you could do is get someone to host a Slingbox for you who does get this station. Both they and you would need DSL and there would be a cost for the hardware. After that it would be free.
lkruper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2012, 7:49 PM   #15
eric12341

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkruper View Post
If you really need this station and don't want to pay for cable, one thing you could do is get someone to host a Slingbox for you who does get this station. Both they and you would need DSL and there would be a cost for the hardware. After that it would be free.
at that rate I may as well just stick to my current solution for music videos (VEVO app on phone or using the Xbox Zune marketplace). These however do burn alot of data but if I limit it to once a week or so it shouldn't be a problem. Sometime this year if my home WiFi isn't back up I do plan to switch to a higher data allowance plan which would double the amount of videos I'd get to watch.
Old 16-May-2012, 6:39 PM   #16
eric12341

Not getting in any channels now and can't find an installer for my ANT751.
Old 21-May-2012, 7:37 PM   #17
eric12341

I'm thinking about buying 3 of these poles for a total of 15ft and sticking it through this patio table I have where an umbrella used to be:

http://www.amazon.com/WINEGARD-TB-00.../ref=de_a_smtd

Would it be possible to stich 3 of them together and then put my ANT751R on it? If not what other pole would I need that's around the same price to make it possible?
Old 28-Jun-2012, 7:12 PM   #18
GroundUrMast

Based on your posts in other threads, I am wondering if you have been able to follow any of the suggested solutions to your reception problems.

Old 28-Jun-2012, 7:42 PM   #19
eric12341

I'm using the ANT751 now and am having extreme difficulties being able to watch my telenovelas without constant breakups. Been like this since about April.
Old 28-Jun-2012, 9:58 PM   #20
GroundUrMast

I presume your are referring to the signal from WGBO,real CH-38.

Were is the ANT-751 mounted, how high? Are there trees or buildings blocking the path?