TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-May-2018, 2:07 AM   #1
gordonlw

Attic antenna selection help in Asheville, NC

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90386b0d81d8b8

So I know Asheville area is a challenge due to the mountains. That said our neighborhood (not my house) has a direct line of site to MT Pisgah were the tower for WLOS and a few others is.

Attic mount is a must due to my wife I bought a Mohu - Leaf 50 at best buy just to see what I could get from an indoor. I put it in an upstairs window as close to the spot in the attic as I could. I got most everything but CBS froze up a good bit. This was right in the window, if I moved it back a few feet NBC had issues as well.

So I feel confident a good antenna should work. However I'm concerned that there will not be enough space in the spot in the attic. There is a dormer on the front of the house (where I used the indoor) with vaulted ceilings on the inside. The house is a story and a half with a steep pitch roof. Lots of the attic would be impossible due to the framing, duct work etc. The biggest spot would be behind the dormer so it would have to go through 10+ feet of "open" space before it reached outside. So there is the corner beside the dormer. Again not sure I can fit much there but it's really the only option.

I've linked to some pics that may make more sense. In the pic of the house the spot I stuck the indoor is circled in red and roughly where the attic one needs to go is in green. The pic is a strange angle so the tree looks way taller than it is. For now it's not in the way.

If we can come up with something that will fit/work I'll have questions about the coax etc! Thanks guys!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qwtsck1nq...RHdXYe7ba?dl=0
gordonlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-May-2018, 2:38 AM   #2
Nascarken
Banned

Hello I believe that the ANTENNA you have can use outside too right why not get a jpole.
and mount it above the window outside.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-May-2018, 2:48 AM   #3
gordonlw

Forgot to mention that I returned it. I really just wanted an idea if it was worth pursuing an attic mount so I tried that first.
Old 6-Jun-2018, 1:18 AM   #4
gordonlw

anyone have any suggestions? if we come up with an antenna I can figure out if it'll fit......
Old 6-Jun-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Nascarken
Banned

You should probably tack a look at an Rv,tv antenna called King Jack 32BG
Tack a look at them and put it into your tv Fool report and see how well it works
First it is the size of a large dinner plate and stands about 1 ft hi I know it sounds crazy
An outdoor Rv,tv antenna range vh F 100miles uhf 70miles,
Old 6-Jun-2018, 2:42 PM   #6
jrgagne99

It is remarkable that you were even getting WSPA (CBS) on Real Channel 7 with the Mohu leaf since it is not designed for VHF-hi signals. It's not surprising that WYFF (NBC, real ch 36) flaked out first as you backed away from the window, since it is pretty far down (NM=14.7 dB) on your report. It likely was not the amount of "open" space between the antenna and the window that was the issue, but rather a diminishing view-factor to the signal source.

It is difficult to predict reception in an attic. I think you will need a fairly high gain directional antenna that will fit in a small place. The usual rooftop recommendations of the Winegard 7694P or 7698P will likely be too big to fit in your attic, judging by the pictures. A 4-bay such as the DB4e with a VHF-hi kit might work, or maybe the Clearstream 2MAX or 2V (or maybe the 4MAX or 4V). The issue will be with your VHF-hi channels, and none of these options are that great for VHI-hi, as they all only have a single dipole VHF-hi element.

I might suggest an RCA751, or maybe a relative new-comer-- the BoostWaves "Yagi" (www.amazon.com/Premium-BoostWaves-Antenna-...), which actually looks like a log-periodic design. I don't have direct experience with it , but it looks like it might be the right size for your space. Another option might be the Denny Stacker. In my experience, it has performance similar to the Winegard 7698P (maybe slightly less), but in a more compact shape due to putting the VHF elements above the UHF ones.

Finally, as you might have guessed, you don't enter any antenna data into the TVFool report generator, as nascarken suggests. You enter your location and the height Above Ground Level (AGL) which you plan to mount the antenna. The report that is generated has a number of assumptions, including a clear view (no trees, buildings, or attic blocking the antenna). Which is why I would lean toward trying an antenna with more gain that the report suggests will be required, since you are doing an attic install. In my opinion, an RV antenna such as the one that has been previously suggested is not at all suitable for your application.

As always, start simple with relatively short length of new, high-quality RG-6 coax (50ft or less), one TV, and a buddy to help you aim the antenna. You can worry about splitting to multiple TVs and possibly use of a distribution amp later.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 6-Jun-2018 at 2:53 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jun-2018, 5:27 PM   #7
gordonlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
It is remarkable that you were even getting WSPA (CBS) on Real Channel 7 with the Mohu leaf since it is not designed for VHF-hi signals. It's not surprising that WYFF (NBC, real ch 36) flaked out first as you backed away from the window, since it is pretty far down (NM=14.7 dB) on your report. It likely was not the amount of "open" space between the antenna and the window that was the issue, but rather a diminishing view-factor to the signal source.

It is difficult to predict reception in an attic. I think you will need a fairly high gain directional antenna that will fit in a small place. The usual rooftop recommendations of the Winegard 7694P or 7698P will likely be too big to fit in your attic, judging by the pictures. A 4-bay such as the DB4e with a VHF-hi kit might work, or maybe the Clearstream 2MAX or 2V (or maybe the 4MAX or 4V). The issue will be with your VHF-hi channels, and none of these options are that great for VHI-hi, as they all only have a single dipole VHF-hi element.

I might suggest an RCA751, or maybe a relative new-comer-- the BoostWaves "Yagi" (www.amazon.com/Premium-BoostWaves-Antenna-...), which actually looks like a log-periodic design. I don't have direct experience with it , but it looks like it might be the right size for your space. Another option might be the Denny Stacker. In my experience, it has performance similar to the Winegard 7698P (maybe slightly less), but in a more compact shape due to putting the VHF elements above the UHF ones.

Finally, as you might have guessed, you don't enter any antenna data into the TVFool report generator, as nascarken suggests. You enter your location and the height Above Ground Level (AGL) which you plan to mount the antenna. The report that is generated has a number of assumptions, including a clear view (no trees, buildings, or attic blocking the antenna). Which is why I would lean toward trying an antenna with more gain that the report suggests will be required, since you are doing an attic install. In my opinion, an RV antenna such as the one that has been previously suggested is not at all suitable for your application.

As always, start simple with relatively short length of new, high-quality RG-6 coax (50ft or less), one TV, and a buddy to help you aim the antenna. You can worry about splitting to multiple TVs and possibly use of a distribution amp later.
Thanks for the info!
Old 8-Jun-2018, 9:44 PM   #8
Nascarken
Banned

That's good but I bet king Jack will kik IT'S guy's lol.
Old 7-Jul-2018, 3:03 PM   #9
gordonlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post

I might suggest an RCA751,

Thanks again! I ordered the RCA751 as it had good reviews regrading VHF-hi. Me and a buddy will be installing/testing tomorrow. I bought a 100ft RG-6 as I may need that much to get to the closest tv from the antenna/attic. If not I have a coax compression tool and can cut and re-terminate.
Old 7-Jul-2018, 4:22 PM   #10
Nascarken
Banned

Rg6 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonlw View Post
Thanks again! I ordered the RCA751 as it had good reviews regrading VHF-hi. Me and a buddy will be installing/testing tomorrow. I bought a 100ft RG-6 as I may need that much to get to the closest tv from the antenna/attic. If not I have a coax compression tool and can cut and re-terminate.
Use a good Quality SOLiD lol 18gage copper.not copperclad steal?
Becuse of your long run remember no sharp bends keep the CABLE
Straight as an arrow God LUCK with your antennas and be safe and look out for power lines when installing an outdoor tv antenna!!