TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Sep-2018, 2:52 AM   #1
wado66

Reception Issues with new setup

After having much success in cutting the cord and getting great reception, thanks to you guys, my brother has decided to follow suit.
He cut the cord and bought a Channel Master Advantage 100 and an Ultra Mini 4 port distribution amp going to 3 TV's.
His antenna is about 30' up and pointed about 213 degrees.
TV Fool below.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038fb978658d2

The problem he is having is some of his local channels virtual 2 and 4 come and go.
My assumption is he needs to be about 10' higher.

Secondly, he is getting black rolling horizontal lines on his TV's.
My other assumption is mini port amp is causing this for some reason.
When he bypasses this he loses his channels.

I'm going to head over there tomorrow and wanted to see if I could get some tips to troubleshoot the setup.
wado66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Your brother has at least two problems. The first is reception issues, perhaps due to poor signals and multipath.

The other problem is the rolling horizontal lines. That is an indication of a serious electrical problem called a ground loop. That is not a reception problem per se, but may cause reception problems as a side effect.

A ground loop means that the ground and neutral wires of the electrical distribution system are connected in multiple places. They should be connected in ONE AND ONLY ONE place, the main breaker panel. The addition of a proper antenna ground may have made the problem worse. The problem can be anywhere in the house, not just the TV or antenna wiring.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2018, 2:10 PM   #3
Tower Guy

The rolling black horizontal line could also be caused by a failed component inside the TV set. In some cases an electrolytic capacitor can fail and cause this symptom.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2018, 8:43 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I used to see symptoms like that back when I worked on TV sets if the 70s and 80s. I wonder if this is an old CRT set with an analog tuner (and converter box) or if it's an LCD/LED/plasma flat screen.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2018, 9:52 PM   #5
wado66

The rolling lines are on all TV's they are using. One TV is probably 8 years old and one is about 3 years old.
With it happening on both TV's I think Tower Guy may be onto something with the ground loop.

Just for testing purposes, if it is a ground loop issue could I remove the antenna ground wire and see if it improves? Temporarily of course.
wado66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado66 View Post
The rolling lines are on all TV's they are using. One TV is probably 8 years old and one is about 3 years old.
With it happening on both TV's I think Tower Guy may be onto something with the ground loop.

Just for testing purposes, if it is a ground loop issue could I remove the antenna ground wire and see if it improves? Temporarily of course.
That is what I would do.
The ground wire, is mainly to bleed off static buildup, so I wouldn't lift it for very long.

Many pro audio amps, boards and effects processors actually have a ground lift switch, in case there are ground loop problems.

Those car stereo people also use line level isolation x-frmrs to minimize alternator whine that is aggravated by ground loops.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote