TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2016, 6:18 AM   #1
cjm

Best Antenna, reception tips for Port Hadlock, WA

I am new to the forum and need help determining the best antenna for our home near Port Hadlock, WA.

Here is the tv fool report for our home:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb28bc134c50

Any suggestions for the best antenna to pick up Seattle area OTA broadcasters (and any others) would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to place the antenna in my attic, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these questions.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Jake V

You have stations at roughly 124 degrees and 337 degrees. They are not near 180 degrees apart to use a bi-directional antenna but I think they might be close enough for an easy experiment.

I'd start by mounting an Antennas Direct DB-4e with the reflector removed (which makes it bi-directional) with the addition of the VHF kit. I'd probably aim the antenna at about 315 degrees on a compass (meaning the back side will face about 135 degrees). Both directions are within the about 60 degree range that this antenna can see.

But this is my opinion. Others more knowledgeable than I will comment.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2016, 4:32 AM   #3
cjm

Best Antenna, reception tips for Port Hadlock, WA

Thanks for the response, Jake. Can you tell me why you recommend the DB-4e rather than a Winegard HD 7698P type antenna?
Old 19-Sep-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Jake V

The Winegard HD 7698P is a good antenna, but it is very directional. Removing the reflector from the DB-4e makes it more bi-directional than 7698P, which should be better for you since you have signals from two directions.

Others will post their ideas.

Last edited by Jake V; 19-Sep-2016 at 7:07 PM.
Old 19-Sep-2016, 6:52 PM   #5
cjm

OK. I'll try the DB-4e and see how it works. Thanks again for your help. I'll post results once I get the antenna and try it.
Old 20-Sep-2016, 12:26 AM   #6
Nascarken
Banned

Good day c j m what are you looking to receive FOR channel's just uhf or VHF channel's and are you limited to the size of the antenna and will it be outside?
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2016, 1:22 AM   #7
cjm

I am hoping to get uhf and vhf broadcasts. I would like to place the antenna in my attic.
Old 20-Sep-2016, 1:44 AM   #8
Nascarken
Banned

Can you put the ANTENNA outdoors and I think the winegard is the best choice AND use a channel master 7778 amp with it or any ANTENNA THAT you choose AND go to solid signal,com and LOOK at the antenna choices in a vhf uhf outdoor tv antenna high in DB gain so look at the specification on the antennas first and LOOK at YOUR tv fool report good luck and let us no so we can g I v e you the best results
Old 20-Sep-2016, 4:03 PM   #9
Jake V

Nascarken,

The Winegard 7698P is certainly a good antenna, but it has a fairly narrow forward looking beamwidth (which helps with two edge signals in a single direction).

cjm has signals in at roughly 124 degrees and 337 degrees. Why do you believe that the 7698P would do better at receiving the signals from both these directions? It seems to me that the DB-4e (or any vertical 4-bay antenna) with the reflector removed would be more bi-directional?

Thanks in advance for sharing your reasoning on this question.

Maybe others can also post on this.

Jake
Old 20-Sep-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
Nascarken
Banned

Ok now LET me gess u don't want to use a ROTOR so would 60,B,with work if so go with the solid signal HDB 91XG that receives uhf are you looking to get high VHF ALL so and if so buy a vhf/uhf with an amplifier you will be happy with a ROTOR look at your TV FOOL REPORT GOOD LUCK and be safe on the roof
Old 21-Sep-2016, 12:28 AM   #11
Jake V

Thank you, Nascarken, for providing your reasoning.

I tend not to recommend rotors unless they are absolutely necessary. If a fixed antenna solution will do the job there is no real need for the extra expense of a rotor. And if someone decides to add a second television family feuds can break out should the antenna need be pointed to get two desired channels at the same time. Plus there are some televisions that need to be re-scanned each time the rotor moves the antenna to a different direction.
Old 21-Sep-2016, 12:36 AM   #12
Nascarken
Banned

Yes and that's why some of us go with an two antenna set-up and that eliminates the use of a ROTOR