TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Mar-2019, 3:13 AM   #1
OTAFAN

Distance Between Antennas

What is the minimum distance between two receiving antennas, not combined, pointed in the same direction?

I want to add another antenna below my current one that would feed to a second TV in a separate room. I'm trying to keep my set up very simple.

Thanks, forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0461A.jpg (181.3 KB, 810 views)
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Good morning sir I found this article:
https://www.jpole-antenna.com/2013/0...fuhf-antennas/
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2019, 7:03 PM   #3
OTAFAN

Thanks bobs for the link.

So, according to the article about 19 inches between two VHF Ham antennas, or for my purposes, roughly 2 feet. If you were attempting to do what I need, would you be comfortable with that minimum distance?

BTW, in a previous thread I saw a pic of your VERY COOL Bobs Garage!
Old 31-Mar-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
kb4

I think the most difference would be made on transmitting antennas but multipart and resonate frequencies very important and not always measurable or definable by formulas etc sometimes u just have to try it and see. I personally would try 3 to 4 feet and see what happens.
kb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2019, 10:32 PM   #5
OTAFAN

Thanks for the input, kb4!

I'm hoping to stay as close as possible to my current antenna, as it's up as high as I can get it at 20 feet. So, as you know height is usually paramount. But I understand what you're advising. You're right, I'll have to trial and error somewhat.

I'm starting a fund drive to buy rabbit73 some new testing equipment of his choice, so he'll continue to post here. Can I count you in for a donation???
Old 1-Apr-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
kb4

yes, I would donate. A better solution, though it seems unlikely would be for the owner to sell the site or form nonprofit etc or at least appoint moderators to be able to keep things on point and civil.

I guess since its not moderated perhaps a category in another forum such as AV forum etc. could be formed to do exactly same thing this does and just check the new posts here and refer them there. Buy surely someone is making money from the advertisements on this site.
kb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4 View Post
yes, I would donate. A better solution, though it seems unlikely would be for the owner to sell the site or form nonprofit etc or at least appoint moderators to be able to keep things on point and civil.

I guess since its not moderated perhaps a category in another forum such as AV forum etc. could be formed to do exactly same thing this does and just check the new posts here and refer them there. Buy surely someone is making money from the advertisements on this site.
I would also donate. It's the least I could do for all the help that he's given me. How would you do it? A GoFundMe account?

Hopefully we can stick with the purpose of this post but speaking of posts that have been derailed, I sent a letter yesterday to admin and my thread has been cleaned up substantially by admin. So there is actually somebody there who can moderate. I think they don't get a chance to read every thread so they have to be notified when a thread is being trolled. Hopefully the perpetrator has learned a lesson.

Old 2-Apr-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
I would also donate. It's the least I could do for all the help that he's given me. How would you do it? A GoFundMe account?

Hopefully we can stick with the purpose of this post but speaking of posts that have been derailed, I sent a letter yesterday to admin and my thread has been cleaned up substantially by admin. So there is actually somebody there who can moderate. I think they don't get a chance to read every thread so they have to be notified when a thread is being trolled. Hopefully the perpetrator has learned a lesson.

I volunteered to become a moderator and it is now so. I will do my best to keep the discussion high-quality, constructive, and civil. I hope we don't lose ADTech, Rabbit73 and other high-quality contributors. But let's keep this thread, and others, on topic. Perhaps a new thread about ways to bring back key contributors is warranted.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2019, 1:59 PM   #9
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

okay, back on topic.

About stacking antennas. Over on the antenna Forum I found this. It makes for some great reading and covers your problem.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1464
Old 2-Apr-2019, 10:22 PM   #10
OTAFAN

Quote:
I would need to get in touch with rabbit73 by PM. I have offered similar to him before, but I don't know how to get in touch by PM currently. And I hope he hasn't left here for good and ADTech as well. I'd buy them both an early Christmas gift if they start posting again ASAP!

Thanks again for another link regarding my issue here, bobs. Since I'm not combining antennas and they're for receive only, it appears around 3 feet might work, but I'm going to have to trial and error before permanently installing my second antenna below current one. I was hoping for a simpler answer, but I think from my reading of the links you provided, there is a bit more "math" to it. However, maybe I'll catch a break.

On the other hand, thanks to jrgagne99 for stepping up to moderate forum. I will always be polite and respectful (you can check my post history), and appreciate your extra effort to keep us on point.

Perhaps if the antenna gods smile on us here, rabbit73 and ADTech will chime in on my issue. My question probably would an easy answer for them???

Last edited by OTAFAN; 2-Apr-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 3-Apr-2019, 3:06 AM   #11
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
I would need to get in touch with rabbit73 by PM. I have offered similar to him before, but I don't know how to get in touch by PM currently. And I hope he hasn't left here for good and ADTech as well. I'd buy them both an early Christmas gift if they start posting again ASAP!

Thanks again for another link regarding my issue here, bobs. Since I'm not combining antennas and they're for receive only, it appears around 3 feet might work, but I'm going to have to trial and error before permanently installing my second antenna below current one. I was hoping for a simpler answer, but I think from my reading of the links you provided, there is a bit more "math" to it. However, maybe I'll catch a break.

On the other hand, thanks to jrgagne99 for stepping up to moderate forum. I will always be polite and respectful (you can check my post history), and appreciate your extra effort to keep us on point.

Perhaps if the antenna gods smile on us here, rabbit73 and ADTech will chime in on my issue. My question probably would an easy answer for them???
I'm sorry I didn't ask what type of antenna are you going to add to your combo antenna?

Why can't you go higher? From this angle it doesn't look like 20 ft. Unless it's the second level of a two-story house. Oh, and by the way that looks like that thinner gold irridite
corrugated pipe antenna mast. I like that SS 20 1 3/8" chain link fence "top rail". Comes in 21 foot lengths.

I'm sure that AD Tech and Rabbit will come back. To be honest, it's only been a few days. Now that the resident troller has been suppressed or barred, maybe these posts will be disrupted less.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 3-Apr-2019 at 3:13 AM.
Old 3-Apr-2019, 4:19 AM   #12
OTAFAN

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't ask what type of antenna are you going to add to your combo antenna?

Why can't you go higher? From this angle it doesn't look like 20 ft. Unless it's the second level of a two-story house. Oh, and by the way that looks like that thinner gold irridite
corrugated pipe antenna mast.
April 12 we'll have two channels out here in SoCal LA/OC that will change frequencies and viewers will need to rescan their TVs. One of the stations, KWHY 22(virtual) will be dropping to real channel 4 on low VHF. One of their subs is RETRO TV, which is off the air at the moment here. If it returns, then I'll need to put up the Winegard HD7000R which is the slightly larger version of the RCA751, or smaller version of my current RCA3037X(R), which of course, enables me to receive low VHF. I want to continue to watch RETRO TV, if I can.

If RETRO TV doesn't return on KWHY 22, then I'll probably just put the RCA751 below my 3037X(R).

I cannot go up any higher on my roof. I'm already at 20 feet. I just don't have the materials or ability to install such a set up. I like to have something I can maintain without too much demand. Age is a factor here, if you know what I mean. Besides, I'm in a strong signal area about 35 miles south of Mt. Wilson LOS, 346 degree magnitude. And yes, my 25 year pole is actually good quality, thicker than what you get nowadays. Last year I sanded it down and cleaned out the inside and repainted it. Good for another 50,000 miles, I hope!

I'll shout out a BIG HORRAY if ADTech and rabbit73 start posting again. But any other ideas you have bobs, would be much appreciated by me regarding the issue I posted here. I'm just not sure what the dynamics are with two receiving antennas at a minimum distance from each other. I want to keep things simple. But I suppose I could add another pole further down on my eaves from my current antenna, if the minimum distance below my 3037X(R) would cause interference with another antenna. What do you think?

Thanks again bobs for your help!
Old 3-Apr-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

I just happened to talk to AD Tech about my 91xg warranty. I have to say I'm quite happy away they handled it.

He said he's been away from the forums because he has to handle another project for veterans.. hey, anybody who helps out the veterans is a friend of mine. I came from a military family. From what I understand he does most of this forum stuff on his own time.

Old 4-Apr-2019, 2:41 AM   #14
OTAFAN

Copy that, bobs.

I will sleep better tonight knowing ADTech and rabbit 73 are back on the front line of this forum!

Semper fi!!
Old 4-Apr-2019, 2:54 AM   #15
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Copy that, bobs.

I will sleep better tonight knowing ADTech and rabbit 73 are back on the front line of this forum!

Semper fi!!
Always faithful. Dad was a leatherneck. 22 years.
spent a lot of time at Camp Lejeune.
Old 5-Apr-2019, 1:59 PM   #16
rickbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Always faithful. Dad was a leatherneck. 22 years.
spent a lot of time at Camp Lejeune.
Younger brother was in the Corps, we live about 80 miles from Lejenue.
Small world.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2019, 10:22 PM   #17
OTAFAN

OK, after reading everyone's post above again and further written research along with advise from some of my radio Buds locally, I climbed back on my roof Memorial Weekend and put up a Winegard HD7000R below my existing RCA ANT3037X(R). (jrgagne99 posted he also was climbing up on his neighbors borrowed 60' lift to adjust his antenna in the tree(s) Memorial Weekend as well. I'll be interested to see how he came out too).

It seems that when it comes to receiving antennas, distance between them is not as critical as with transmitting ones. That opinion was prominent in all the literature I read. So, after some experimenting and scanning my TV for signal strength and checking for interference on my other TV, I finally found that even 1ft below my RCA 3037 gave me optimal performance. And my Winegard 7000 is about 19 feet in the air above area rooftops and foliage. To repeat, no interference between my two TVs has been viewed! (If I'm missing something, you good Techs here tell me what I need to look out for going forward, please. Thanks!)

I have tried repeatedly to attach a photo to this post so you could see how my set up now looks, but to no avail. No matter what I do, my photo lays on its side at about a 240 degree angle. I've tried flipping the photo every which way but loose, but no luck. I've had some minor issues lately posting on TV Fool, so maybe the site is having some technical issues. If this issue resolves itself, I'll post the pic. (If anyone has advise here, please chime in, thanks!)

In the meantime, try to imagine a Winegard 7000 tucked 1ft neatly below and in parallel with its bigger brother the RCA 3037. So far, my project has exceeded my expectations.

Thanks to all you good folks here at TV Fool for your help!

Last edited by OTAFAN; 1-Jun-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2-Jun-2019, 12:37 AM   #18
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
.....I climbed back on my roof Memorial Weekend and put up a Winegard HD7000R below my existing RCA ANT3037X(R).

.....I finally found that even 1ft below my RCA 3037 gave me optimal performance. And my Winegard 7000 is about 19 feet in the air above area rooftops and foliage. To repeat, no interference between my two TVs has been viewed! (If I'm missing something, you good Techs here tell me what I need to look out for going forward, please. Thanks!)
Glad to hear that you got good results. You did exactly the right thing: tried it to see how it works.

Quote:
I have tried repeatedly to attach a photo to this post so you could see how my set up now looks, but to no avail. No matter what I do, my photo lays on its side at about a 240 degree angle.
Post your photo as an attachment; maybe I can straighten it.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2019, 12:59 AM   #19
OTAFAN

Quote:
Post your photo as an attachment; maybe I can straighten it.
So glad you replied, rabbit73! Hopes and prayers your wife and you are doing better.

I have been posting as attachment, including right now, but still not straight as previous pic in my original post on this thread.

Fingers crossed, you can work your magic rabbit!

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV ANT Update 2.jpg (25.0 KB, 827 views)
Old 2-Jun-2019, 2:40 AM   #20
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

original photo, nice and sharp:

Quote:
I have been posting as attachment, including right now, but still not straight as previous pic in my original post on this thread.
Thanks for the second image.

Very odd. When I downloaded it with Firefox, it was vertical, but when I downloaded it with IE11, it was on its side.

I converted it to a jpg, made it vertical, enlarged it a little, and rotated it a little clockwise. I couldn't make it any sharper because your file size was very small.

Is that a different location, or just a different camera angle?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg OTAFANtvfTVAntUpdate2_3.jpg (63.7 KB, 1450 views)
File Type: jpg OTAFANtvfTVAnt_2.jpg (140.2 KB, 1492 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 2-Jun-2019 at 3:00 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote