TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Dec-2013, 7:36 PM   #1
MBazdarich

Question I'm only getting a couple channels

Hello:

Prior to everybody going digital, I always great great reception on my aerial antenna. It sits on the roof of my 2-story house, about 25 feet above ground level and in direct line-of-sight to Los Angeles transmitters on Mt. Wilson, 9 miles away from me (I am due west of Mt. Wilson).

Well, I bought a new RCA (ANT800?) digital antenna and amplifier, and installed them.

When I ran the channel senser on my privately-owned DVR, its registers and receives the NBC and ABC affiliates (channels 4 and 7), but nothing else, even though CBS, Fox, and a number of local affiliates all transmit from the same location at Mt. Wilson, with, as per TVFool.com, stronger signals.

For what it is worth, My GE aerial is a flat rectangular surface model.

Any ideas on how to pull in signals of other channels?

Perplexed in La Canada
MBazdarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2013, 8:13 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Get rid of the amplifier as a first step, it is likely overloading the tuner. Actually, if you still have your original antenna, try it.

Quote:
privately-owned DVR,
Quote:
bought a new RCA (ANT800?)
Identify, please.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2013, 8:23 PM   #3
tomfoolery

The gurus are going to ask, so you might as well get a head start - you need to generate a TVFool report, using the map function, with the icon right on your house, and 25 ft elevation in the box. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90 I get a huge difference in reception using your approximate location to those transmitter towers by sliding the icon around. Those hills really make a difference.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-------
Why are you using the words , privately-owned DVR ??

What is the Model Number of the DVR??

------
What is the Model Number of the Tv??

-------

Please make and post a Tvfool radar report and channel list.

Go to the Tvfool home page and click on , >>Start MAPS<< ,

Use the Exact address to make the report.

If the Exact address does not work , enter the the zip code and move pointer to the reception location.

Make the antenna height in the report 25 feet above ground.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Dec-2013 at 3:53 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 18-Dec-2013, 4:28 PM   #5
MBazdarich

Hi All:

Thanks for the initial advice. In answer to your questions...

I mentioned "privately-owned DVR" to emphasize that it is not one owned by a cable company.

I am not at home, so I can't look up model number of DVR or TV, but the TV is a RCA wide screen HD. The DVR is Magnavox, and remember, it is the DVR that is picking up the antenna signal.

I did a TV Fool signal report, and its url is

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aefef26dbfee

As I read this report, it is telling me that all the channels I want should come in green (strong signal) with an indoor bunny-ears. Instead, I have a roof-mounted aerial and am only picking up ABC and NBC...at least that is all the channels my DVR senses when I run the "find channels" routine within it.

I did try hooking the aerial coax directly to the TV and letting the TV search for channels and got essentially the same result. The TV found ABC, NBC, and some spanish-language channels, but not the other network or local broadcast channels.

As per "Ad Tech"s advice, I will try unplugging amplifier and see what happens.
MBazdarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2013, 5:53 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
------
The DVR or Digital TV , Must Channel Scan for , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

The , ATSC , aka = also known as , 8VSB , Broadcast Tv Channels.

--------------------

Some Digital DVR's with built in tuner will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

--------------------

Go into the , DVR Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Go into the , Digital Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

--------------------

Also Do Not channel scan for Analog channels only.

--------------------

The signal strength reception is strong at your location.

Recommend Do Not use a amplified antenna.

Recommend Do Not use a add on external antenna system amplifier.

---------------------

A Simple Non amplified indoor type antenna should receive Many Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

A Simple Indoor type antenna that has no , so called 'fine tuning' control knob/s , or other fancy gizmos that are designed to separate you from your money.

A Plain and Simple indoor type antenna is the , Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) indoor antenna.

For Best Reception have the HDTVi antenna in/at a window or patio/balcony door window that faces , East/North , East , South East.

Aim the HDTVi antenna at about , 96 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim HDTVi antenna.

If a long length of coax is required to connect the HDTVi Antenna to DVR/TV, and the long length so coax runs through the inside of the building to get from the HDTVi antenna to the DVR/TV.

Then So Be It.

Reason is , Reliable Reception is More Important then objecting to coax running through the inside of the building.

--------------------

Digital Broadcast DVR Tuners or Digital Broadcast TV Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner , do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

--------------------

To improve reception and reliability.

Install a , http://www.antennacraft.net , HBU11 , above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , East North , East , South East , West.

Aim the , HBU11 , antenna at about , 96 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antenna , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------------------

No antenna system signal amplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , 3 way splitter.
Old 18-Dec-2013, 6:43 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Don't simply disconnect the power from the amplifier. That would leave you with even less signal because the amplifier will not pass any signal when powered off.

Remove the amplifier from your system, completely.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote