TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2011, 4:05 AM   #1
xcowrnx

Help out a complete failure

Hey. I'm giving this whole antenna business another go. Over the years, I have bought various antennas when I was feeling lucky hoping I would finally be able to receive reception, but I have failed every time and never received more then a couple channels.

My goal is to put the antenna in the attic about 20 feet off the ground. If you guys don't think that will be good enough, I can do the roof. Here are my results: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da3297a135c6ab

I'd like to be able to receive ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS. Thanks for any help recommending antennas and setups.
xcowrnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2011, 7:07 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

-->How many Tv's will be connected . . WEDY 6 is listed as PBS or CBS , WCCT 20 is listed as The CW Network

Last edited by John Candle; 8-Jan-2011 at 7:37 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2011, 3:42 PM   #3
xcowrnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
-->How many Tv's will be connected . . WEDY 6 is listed as PBS or CBS , WCCT 20 is listed as The CW Network
I will have only 1 TV connected.
Old 8-Jan-2011, 4:02 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You are not in an area where an attic installation is likely to yield good results: you are going to have to go up on the roof. I have installed a few antennas in Madison, and know the pitfalls: New Haven is very easy: Hartford is a lot harder because of the hills between the transmitters and you. The Hartford stations have always been tough on the CT shoreline, but they are available when you use the right antenna system.

Here's how I would proceed: Use a 2-antenna installation: a deep-fringe UHF antenna aimed at Hartford and a small VHF high-band yagi aimed at WTNH. I would use an AntennaCraft Y-5-7-13 aimed at 310 degrees for WTNH, which is a VHF channel operating on channel 10, and use an AntennasDirect XG-91 aimed at 350 degrees. Combine the two antennas's signal using a a Channel Master Titan 7778 or an AntennaCraft 10G221 high-input, dual input preamplifier, and run the cable from the preamplifier to the preamp power supply at the back of your TV set. You will see all of the major CT stations with that combination, and you won't need a rotator to see what you are looking for.

Don't worry about WEDY: WEDH has the exact same programming, and will come off the antenna aimed at Hartford.

Here is a good antenna installation guide to help you:
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/AntInstallGuide.pdf

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 8-Jan-2011 at 4:05 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2011, 5:31 PM   #5
xcowrnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
You are not in an area where an attic installation is likely to yield good results: you are going to have to go up on the roof. I have installed a few antennas in Madison, and know the pitfalls: New Haven is very easy: Hartford is a lot harder because of the hills between the transmitters and you. The Hartford stations have always been tough on the CT shoreline, but they are available when you use the right antenna system.

Here's how I would proceed: Use a 2-antenna installation: a deep-fringe UHF antenna aimed at Hartford and a small VHF high-band yagi aimed at WTNH. I would use an AntennaCraft Y-5-7-13 aimed at 310 degrees for WTNH, which is a VHF channel operating on channel 10, and use an AntennasDirect XG-91 aimed at 350 degrees. Combine the two antennas's signal using a a Channel Master Titan 7778 or an AntennaCraft 10G221 high-input, dual input preamplifier, and run the cable from the preamplifier to the preamp power supply at the back of your TV set. You will see all of the major CT stations with that combination, and you won't need a rotator to see what you are looking for.

Don't worry about WEDY: WEDH has the exact same programming, and will come off the antenna aimed at Hartford.

Here is a good antenna installation guide to help you:
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/AntInstallGuide.pdf
Awesome! Thanks a ton for the thorough information - I guess I'll get to work on making it happen.